Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Geico Insurance

So I know this topic has been beat to death, But Me and DW are about to head out on the road fulltime and we need rv insurance Who is the best Geico, State Farm, Allstate, progressive, or someone else and why
Trailertrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

You have to have full time insurance which is different and some of the companies listed do not sell full timer insurance. You will need insurance to cover the RV, the contents of your RV, and liability (someone trips in your campsite and sustains an injury). It is much more expensive too. We obtained ours through Good Sam.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

I have no loyalty to ins companies. None. You call any of those listed, pick the coverage you want, deductibles, etc., and price compare. There is nothing special between companies that cover RVs in my opinion. All the major players have good on line tools, auto billing, bla bla bal. I'm with Geico and they are great. Had one comp claim with them. No fuss.
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Indy54. Shop around for one that has the coverages you want at a price you can afford and go with it. There is no "best" - insurance is pretty much a commodity.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #5

So theonly 2 listed ( GEICO & PROGRESSIVE) offer fulltimers insurance. There are lots if other companies as well
What you insure for ( full replacement, agreed value etc) amounts of coverage on your personal items as well as riders on extra valuables etc must be compared across the board as apple as to apples when you are shopping.
We only consider service and that being said we have not only been GEICO customers for 30 years, we were one of the first to have a fulltimers product with them in 2007
Can we get it cheaper?? Probably, but they have provided us with amazing service all these years, thru teenagers, 2 hit and run accidents, etc. So they have earned my loyalty and recommendation
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Try Good Sam. We have and used it. 3 cars and the coach. Shop Shop Shop. Being full timers may change your rates. We've had them all. No Loyalty when it comes to auto insurance. Leagalized extortion.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #7

I have allied(nationwide) through Good Sam. $600 annually full time for 36'. Trick is they won't insure over 36'
jdarends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I thought GS sold only National General policies. They offer Allied as well?

I also use Allied for my motorhome insurance, bought through an arrangement with FMCA. Very pleased so far on the coach, but I ended up pulling my cars away from Nationwide because of rate escalation.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #9

My cars are all on Allstate. TV good so far with allied
Old 07-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #10

GS pushed national general, but allied is the way to go 36' and under
Old 07-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #11

I shopped till I dropped...had USAA for 41 years, they sent me to Progressive and National General. Shopped Good Sam and FMCA. I also shopped GEICO. GEICO came through with by far the best deal, especially when I added my two other cars and my enclosed 20' trailer. They know I will full time in less than a year. Time will tell, but GEICO seemed the best. They would only give me a $1,000 deductible on our coach tho.
gostberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Had GMAC but switched to GEICO 4 years ago at renewal time. GEICO was by far the cheapest of the companies I shopped.

Had one claim, awning unfurled while driving. $4,000.00, that was 3 years ago and no increase in premiums. They handled the claim quickly.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #13

I chose Geico based on price and have remained a customer based on service. I few years ago I was in an accident (not at fault) in a car I had bought just a few months before. The airbags deployed, so they totalled it out. I had a check for more than I paid for the car within a week.

In my RV I clipped the front corner of a van one morning. I knew the owner of the van (it was parked at the time; totally my fault). I contacted Geico and gave them all the details. I then went to talk to the owner of the van and when I found him he was on the phone with Geico. They had contacted him immediately after I hung up with them. Everything went smoothly from that point.

The agents on the phone have always been professional and address any concern directly. Buying the insurance, changing coverage, making claims, getting claims settled has always been smooth.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #14

We also used Miller Insurance to find us the best price. They've always come through and are experienced with full-timer's insurance.

Miller Insurance Agency
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance