Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Geico Insurance

Made the switch to Geico from Progressive for my next month's policy renewal. Doing so saved me about $350/yr or about $180 for a 6-mo policy. I'm pleased with their coverages and am thinking of bundling my auto insurance coverage when it comes up for renewal in Nov.

But something in the package that I received last Saturday bothered me a bit. When I purchased my policy by phone, I specifically told the CSR (Customer Service Rep) that I'm paying the premium in full. She told me it's OK and I provided her my CC # and all the other info she required.

Reading what was in the package irked me a bit. I was only charged 1/6th of the total premium and that I was enrolled in their recurring card payments. And every time this recurring payments were charged to my CC, there's an additional $5. premium charge, which added an additional $30. to my premium. Talked about being blind-sided.

Anyway, called Geico today and was passed on to three different CSR's before finally having somebody from Acctg on the phone. I voiced my displeasure about what they did, she apologized and told me she will make the adjustments. This episode left a bitter taste in my mouth and I don't know if it is their policy, a mistake or just plain misunderstanding but I'm pretty it didn't happen on my part. I might re-think my plan of having my auto insurance coverage handled by them.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
I might re-think my plan of having my auto insurance coverage handled by them.
I tell you it's that Gecko! Ever since that lizard temp stole his mints he's been on a rampage!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I tell you it's that Gecko! Ever since that lizard temp stole his mints he's been on a rampage!
Yeah, could be. But that 'lil rascal is just like most companies in this economy...looking at 'creative' ways to do a little coffer boosting...but then again, there's a lot of inefficiency to go around for everyone. BTW, I'm with Gieco as well and quite pleased with their service...for now. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by Driver
Thanks Driver, now that's funny! I guess since they (Geico) made the adjustments and apologized, I'll see how it goes in the next 6 months.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #5

we have had geico insurance for our cars, motorcycle and the RV. when we had a car accident a couple years ago they were great to work with. we have been very happy with them.
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

I had National Interstate for the RV & Travlers for the jeep! I also now have a small scooter! I put all 3 on Geico, now all 3 vehicles are insured for $165 a year less then just the RV & Jeep were! Has been a little over 6 months now and so far no problems!!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
We switched from GMAC (Good Sam) to AIG (21st Century) and then to GEICO when the former 2 companies imposed huge rate increases despite our clean history of no claims, no accidents and no tickets (bait and switch?? Hmmm....). So far, no problems at all with GEICO, other than they weren't competitive when we looked at switching our homeowner's insurance over to them as well. I'll give GEICO a try when my Progressive policy on my motorcycle comes up for renewal later this year.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
Anyway, called Geico today and was passed on to three different CSR's before finally having somebody from Acctg on the phone. I voiced my displeasure about what they did, she apologized and told me she will make the adjustments. This episode left a bitter taste in my mouth and I don't know if it is their policy, a mistake or just plain misunderstanding but I'm pretty it didn't happen on my part. I might re-think my plan of having my auto insurance coverage handled by them.
It is not their policy, the CSR just clicked the wrong thing on their screen when you were signing up. When I had GEICO I paid in full each 6 months. Never had a problem doing that.

The were always great to work with and my car was hit as well. Claims Dept. was easy to work with.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We also have them and couldn't be happier. Sounds like they made a mistake and took care of the problem. We have both cars and the Dolphin with them. So far it's been a great relationship.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Have been with GEICO on 2 cars,2 motorcycles and a Toyhauler. When I purchased a Class A ,I called them from the lot to inquire about insuring the MH and If I would be covered while the MH was being delivered. I was told I'd be covered and a policy would be sent for my review and any changes. I waited for two weeks prior to receiving the policy for review because I couldn't get it on line. The MH was parked in the driveway so in the interm I got a quote from Good Sam's, GMAC. GMAC was cheaper with a little better coverage, especially on replacement value so I opted for GMAC this go around. I notified GEICO of my decision to go with GMAC, and as my reward they charged me $87 for 17 days of coverage. They told me North Carolina makes them do that......I think the little lizard made em do it. It leaves a little sour taste and it may hard to keep the other 5 policies in place. We'll wait for the bait and switch mentioned with GMAC before my next move. Never had any claims with GEICO,and their on line policy management is helpful if you can get it. However I did read an online post warning about replacement allowances.
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcipra View Post
Have been with GEICO on 2 cars,2 motorcycles and a Toyhauler. When I purchased a Class A ,I called them from the lot to inquire about insuring the MH and If I would be covered while the MH was being delivered. I was told I'd be covered and a policy would be sent for my review and any changes. I waited for two weeks prior to receiving the policy for review because I couldn't get it on line. The MH was parked in the driveway so in the interm I got a quote from Good Sam's, GMAC. GMAC was cheaper with a little better coverage, especially on replacement value so I opted for GMAC this go around. I notified GEICO of my decision to go with GMAC, and as my reward they charged me $87 for 17 days of coverage. They told me North Carolina makes them do that......I think the little lizard made em do it. It leaves a little sour taste and it may hard to keep the other 5 policies in place. We'll wait for the bait and switch mentioned with GMAC before my next move. Never had any claims with GEICO,and their on line policy management is helpful if you can get it. However I did read an online post warning about replacement allowances.
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice to know that there's quite a few satisfied policy holders w/Geico. I've used them for 3 years while stationed in Hawaii and I was satisfied with their service. When I was with Allstate on my other vehicles and one was hit by a Geico policy holder, their claims people were outstanding - they even have a Claims Adjuster stationed in one of our area's Auto Body Shop. Now that's good service!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #13

Question Gieco

When I called Geico and got a quote it was lower than any one elese for the rv but when I questioned the person and had them do some research I found out that there rv policy only works like auto ins while your moving it does not have the home owers part for accidents while parked I was told that that would be another policy the did offer with the standard rv policy for more money which put them out of reach am I the only one or does every one assume all rv policys are the same
mbass777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

All policies are definitely NOT the same, but some of what you said about the Geico coverage seems odd. Your Collision and Comprehensive coverage should cover the vehicle whether moving or parked. Never heard of an exclusion like that, if that is what you are talking about. But "homeowners" maybe means something else, e.g. liability for accidents in or around your RV and campsite. That is often an extra cost item.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote