Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #43

When they ask how much you drive or use the motorhome, seems to me they should be asking how many days you're actually on the road. We travel 5-6mos./3-4K miles per year but are probably only actually on the road 10-15 days during that time because we usually stay at least 14-30 days at every campground. So, miles and months of usage per year don't really say how much you're on the road putting the coach at risk in driving traffic. Sitting in a campground is really like having it in storage.
Why don't insurance companies consider this?

seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #44
I hear you SeaDog. Had to do a 'ah hell, where did those notes go' after reading your post above. Sooooo this is a bit off the top of my head. Looking at RV insurance and got one quote from GMAC. They take into account your driving/sitting habits. If your not driving you could call them and they put most of the coverage 'on hold' for a lack of a better term.

Back on the road, a phone call re-activates all of the coverage(s).

fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #45
You're right Fredaevans. With GMAC, you can put your rv in/out of "storage" with a phone call, but there's a 30 day minimum for each. Although I can understand it from an administrative cost standpoint, I think the 30 day minimum is mostly a GMAC scam to squeeze more premium revenue from it's customers.
When sitting in a campground for a couple of weeks, you obviously dont need collision coverage(which is 70% of your premium cost) and the insurance company doesn't have any collision risk so it should reduce your premium accordingly. Unlike a car you may drive daily, most rv's spend only a few days/month actually on the road at risk of being in a collision.
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #46
I have had GEICO for years. They used to only insure goverment employee's and they had offices outside evey military installation I went to in 22 years. I guess, to keep up with everyone else they expanded their services to covering everyone but kept the name GEICO and with all of the other normal discounts I get a military discount, even thought, I am now retired. When I came back from England, many years ago lol, I called around to all of the local offices I could find in New Mexico, even the independant's. After the quotes came in GEICO was the cheapest and on my last phone call I told the agent that I was probably going to go with GEICO and was promply told that there was no way they could beat GEICO. Had them ever since. Over the years I have had numerous claims for one thing or the other and never had a problem. They were very easy to work with, kept me very informed of any claims or problems they were having. When the DW totaled a used Land Rover I had just bought for her (lasted 3 months) they came down - took pictures - let us get our personal items out of the vehicle. The agent told me that if I wanted to, I could keep up with everything he was doing on their web site. Over the next few days I would log on in the morning and evening - saw all the pictures, quotes for repairs or replacement of the vehicle and a week later had a check. Could not ask for any better or faster service. I don't even look around anymore.

Mel MSgt. USAF (Ret)
1986 Prowler 3000 CL 5er
2006 GMC SLE Reese 16K Pro Fifth Wheel w/slide
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #47
Hartford used to be competetive but has gone up three straight years ( never any claims ) I am with 21st Century at one third the price. They have all our vehicles.

Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote