Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

Generac Generator Dies

Have a Generac Model 09592-2 in my RV. Bought the RV about a month ago. 1999 Rexhall Vision.

It was running fine UNTIL I took it to a local guy that drained the oil, changed filter, etc. Now it runs for about a minute after sitting a while then dies.

They work on semi's/trucks and know they have knowledge about RV's but am concerned they really don't like to mess with an RV. I store my RV in thier lot so I do know the owner.

He claims the "board" is failing and would cost me more than RV dealer, suggested I use them instead of him. Am taking it to an RV dealer Tuesday.

Do the RV dealers know how to work on generators or are they guessing and aren't really qualified except to bill you.

Thanks,

Gary
GNHebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #2

Check the oil level. He should have put 1 1/2 quarts in. There is an oil pressure shutdown switch.
This is a generac Q-55G.
The RV dealer would probably be guessing too.
Manuals are here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/gener...arts-2537.html
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can follow my experience of crooked "generator mechanics" in various forums throughout this site, and trust me they can be very crooked, mostly because that’s all most of them do is Guess... I guess it could be this and I guess it could be that... Well at $125/hr, I guess i'll figure it out myself. We finally ended up taking our generator to a generator repair/service company here in town, and while they didn't want the RV, just the Generator, this guy knew more about the generator than 12 people before him all put together...
I'd recommend you locate a generator service facility, and in this case don't look for an RV specific place, just one who knows about Generac and their little nuances!!!
Ok, so as for a fix to your current problem, I have this same generator and it was doing the same thing to me. Once I made sure it wasn’t something “simple” (low fuel leve in the gas tank, low oil level, etc.). I knew that one of the only reasons it would do this, is if it wasn’t getting enough gas, and that could be casued by a lot of things, but I started at the choke.
When I adjusted the choke with it running, it would run forever… So I decided to replace the electronic choke solenoid and it solved my problems – it actually solved more than one problem… Now when I crank it to start it, it starts almost immediately, not after several cranks.
Contact Generac directly to get the part, because some serial numbers/model numbers aren’t available on their website (a glitch in their system) so you have to call and talk to someone directly.
This piece is easy to install (if you know your way around things, or are good at taking stuff apart and putting things back together…) and its adjustable so you can adjust it once its on there…

Good luck!!!
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #4

gen problem

My Onan wouldn't stay running on 06 HR just purchased. Gen shop diagnosed the problem as being in the fuel line from the tank. Blowing out the line fixed it.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #5

Thanks for your input to all.

The dealear said it was the primer relay which they suggested I buy at Radio Shack. Even showed me how to replace it myself.

Was shocked, an RV dealer that actually tried to save me money??? Sure wasn't Camping World, who probably would have suggested a new generator AFTER I waited six hours to hear the problem they came up with.

Thanks again.

Gary
Old 06-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you found a dealer that will help you like that keep up with them, I use to work at a dealership now I'm on my own I left them because they want to put bandaids for fixes and charge top price got tired of helping them rip people off. I too try to help save $$$ for all my customers you will find out that more business will come back from return customers and they will bring friends too.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #7

Not to advertise for any one RV dealer but I have been using General RV near Huntley, IL. North West of Chicago on the tollway to Rockford. They have treated me very fair and always offer suggestions/alternatives to my issues.

Latest problem solved was the generator. I was prepared for the worst but got off cheaply, thanks to their honesty.

I am lucky to now have two place for help, Huntley and Peoria, IL.

My travel is limited to Chicago area (home) and farm near Peoria. The RV is my motel. I feel better knowing I have established places to fix the problems as they come up and not get screwed.

Thanks to all for your input.

Gary
Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #8

My generac MC 40 died also, one day ran fine in morning then never ran again. It has all the right elements to start, oil, fuel, spark etc. found the original manual to help diagnose but still won't work. Unfortunately, I live in an area that has no real generator or RV mechanics.... Has any one bought a portable unit to use instead? If so, where do you put it?
bk tioga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
D&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk tioga View Post
My generac MC 40 died also, one day ran fine in morning then never ran again. It has all the right elements to start, oil, fuel, spark etc. found the original manual to help diagnose but still won't work. Unfortunately, I live in an area that has no real generator or RV mechanics.... Has any one bought a portable unit to use instead? If so, where do you put it?
I think you mean 40G not MC40 because that is already a portable unit. If you have all the elements I would check and make sure you are getting fuel at the carburetor, if there is not fuel check your fuel pump and filter, if so remove the carburetor bowl and make sure that the float valve is opening and nothing is in the orifice. When you remove the bowl if it's full of grime it would be best to remove the carburetor and clean it. Any small engine repair place can work on it, the biggest problem is where they are located.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J

I think you mean 40G not MC40 because that is already a portable unit. If you have all the elements I would check and make sure you are getting fuel at the carburetor, if there is not fuel check your fuel pump and filter, if so remove the carburetor bowl and make sure that the float valve is opening and nothing is in the orifice. When you remove the bowl if it's full of grime it would be best to remove the carburetor and clean it. Any small engine repair place can work on it, the biggest problem is where they are located.

Denny
thanks for tip, i am getting good clean fuel. i now think i must have an electric issue, maybe some kind of switch? the main breaker is good. it just cranks but won't turn over anymore..boo! anyone have any electric troubleshoots?
also, the gennie is a mc 40, that's the alternator name. i was able to find manuals online thanks to smokstak.com. did all the proper tests, still no luck. i went ahead and bought a 3500watt portable champion for charging batteries and some power. i just hate to think the generac is nfg already!
bk tioga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator