Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

General Black Tank Fitting Question

I know I'll have to do my tunnel rat impresonation again to verify, but looking for a basic general answer. Tank manufactured in '06 (Canadian mfr, but can't recall the brand), so fairly modern. My guess is the fitting at the tank is threaded female national pipe thread. The reason I ask is I'm about to swap out remote waste valves. Although the word is the new valves will work and line up with the current slip hubs (different manufactures), I'm planning for the worst (having to completely redo the plumbing with new mfr's slip flanges, etc). Current slip flange is mounted too close to the black tank, requiring a new waste pipe should I need to go with a different slip hub. Again, my guess is the fitting on the tank is NPT female 3", but perhaps others know better as a result of recent experience? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

I would have expected it to be glued. Do you see exposed threads?

If you have exposed threads and can measure them you can make a very educated guess.

FWIW I do not know if Canada changed their plumbing when they went metric. In the US it is relatively safe to assume that the tank would be a standard plumbing size as it is significantly cheaper than going one's own way.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #3

I know that generally, perhaps exclusively, fittings are compression fitted and spun (spinning melts the fitting and tank so they are actually welded together). What looks like glue squished out at manufacturer installed fittings is actually the melted plastic. Untill I crawl back in there, I can't advise whether there are exposed threads or not. I can't imagine waste pipe fittings aren't threaded, but I dunno.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Everything on mine is glued....look at new tanks, the ones I saw are also glued.
Having threads would require extra space for a transition fitting (Thread-to-Slip).

This is my best guess for your rig.

Dan
Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #5

If I had to guess, as I've researched rotomolded poly and ABS vacuum tanks before (just not the specific fittings), this is what I'm hoping to find (3" black tank outlet fitting), but we'll see I guess. If I find thread sealer/pipe dope back there, then I'll know (assuming I can't see exit pipe threads).

However, as it seems nothing is easy, I'll probably find I have a 3" abs spigot fitting like this:

I've removed abs fittings before and it's no fun. Doing it in cramped quarters will be a nightmare. I suspect all I can do is hope for the former (or ever better that my new valves match up with the current slip flanges and this exercise was all for nothing).
Old 03-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #6

At the risk of taking this thread further off the rails, what is often confused as glued fittings are, in fact, spin welded. Here's a little viddy of spin welding on a poly tank that shows the process and the byproduct that looks like glue, but is actually plastic.

Again, if anyone has removed his/her black tank outlet pipe in recent memory, I sure would appreciate knowing what you found. Perhaps I need to rephrase that...
Old 03-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #7

Just for helping others. Sent The Boy in there tonight. On a phone right now so I can't attach a pic. 3" pipe entering fitting has white, rubbery sealant squished out at the point of entry. Similar to 3M5200, but not exactly the same. So, it appears the pipe is inserted with this sealant and is not solvent glued. So worst case scenario is I have to remove that pipe, but very doable. I do have an email into the mfr, w/model number, so hopefully they be able to tell me, exactly, if a flush slip fitting (appears to be) or threaded fitting. Regardless, I can deal with it.
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 AM   #8

Think worst case scenario...

New plumbing...

If you have more than an inch of pipe you can use a slip fitting.

If not you may be able to locate a smaller size that may slip inside existing like a sleeve and do internal solvent glue.

That may require some custom or lathe work but it can be done.

You really do not want to mess with the tank fitting.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #9

Thanks. I'm not messing with the fitting, just the plumbing. Heard back from the mfr and all fittings on the tank are indeed threaded, including the outlet. I'm in good shape.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #10

I re-read this thread, and I wasn't clear. To clear up confusion, I'm talking about the fitting connection (be it spigot, female threaded, or slip) and not talking about how the tank fitting itself is attached to the tank (except for my little off track post above). In other words, the area of concern was how the plumbing connected to the tank fitting. In this case, it is female thread (reportedly). Thanks. As you were.

Tags
tank