RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
General RV

Just discovered today there is a new RV dealer in the Richmond, VA area, General RV. Their website claims they are the largest family owned RV dealership in the US. They are next to Rolling Hills RV which was recently acquired by Camping World.

Just wondering what folks who have dealt with General RV Centers think of them. From what I saw today, they have a large facility.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

Typical dealer.. tried buying a tiffin bus at the one in Utah but they played all the games and wanted to steal my trade and sell there’s for high book.. I wouldn’t waste your time... at least with sales. ... can’t comment on service as no experience there

lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
Klc

Winnebago Owners Club
We are from Michigan and bought our motorhome from them. Love my motorhome but the buying process was a little stressful. We have had excellent customer service though.
Klc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the opposite experience at the one in Salt lake City. Sure they initially tried to low ball the trade but every dealer selling any kind of merchandise does. After that the experience was great. One of the best dealerships I have dealt with. I have to say they really wanted to make sure I was happy with my purchase before I left the lot. We went over the whole rig with the service department before I even signed for it. As I was in doing paper work they were already fixing some of the minor items we found. Since it was the afternoon they had no problem with us coming back the next day with the new rig to finish moving all our junk out of the old one. Discovered something that first night and they fixed it that next day. Even to the point after we took it to the campground and 2 days later I noticed a nail in one of the tires. Called them and they said to take it to the Les Schwab that was only a mile from our campground and send them the bill. Can't fault their customer service at all. Other General RV dealerships may be different but I would not have an issue going to the SLC one again.

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #5

I went with the one in Canton Ohio.....

sales was normal... offer the world and supply the least...

that being said..
I purchased a Used trailer from then with 60 day warranty...
I asked for the brakes to be serviced.. they said they did that.
4 days later I pulled the drums.. 3 of the 4 brakes were destroyed... I only pulled the trailer 50 miles.

I returned the trailer with photos..... they did replace all 4 sets of brakes.. under warranty.

this was 2 years ago ... still happy with trailer.. Question everything !!!
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We dealt with General RV in Birch Run, MI. We had a tow system added to our Equinox. The work was not well done. First time out it quit working. Took it back and they did fix it and then broke a part and left it for us to find.

Will not be going back.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
tcg

I drive past one every day. When we were shopping for new or used they really didn't seem interested in taking my money. Maybe they didn't believe I was prepared to spend up to 60 grand cash no banks or financing involved.

It was like the sales guy had better things to do.

Oh well. the guy on Craigslist was happy to take my money.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #8

Personal experience, I have bought 2 RV's from them. I actually like the sales guy I dealt with on both purchases. Could not get the deal right with trade in so did both straight up and sold the old outright. I feel I got good deals both times and could have not done better elsewhere, maybe as good. Sales is good locally and I would purchase there again, you have to play the game but they get there. Not happy with there service dept. but then again I can be difficult like that, I say local service dept. is average and the average basically sucks.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 PM   #9

I bought my coach from them. In Il . and don’t think I could have done better on price. The delivery/pickup was at their dealership in Clearwater Fl. I couldn’t have been more pleased with their prep and fix everything attitude.
Never went back to General for any warranty since I’m only 4 hrs from Decatur.

Good luck
Pointrow
Old 12-01-2017, 01:03 AM   #10

Anywhere that would save me from stepping foot on a Camping World dealership has my vote.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:10 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
Anywhere that would save me from stepping foot on a Camping World dealership has my vote.
I Concur !
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:27 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Got a great deal from General RV in Orange Park FL on our new Challenger. And that's where it ended....

The service department is so far in the weeds it would be comical if it didn't cost me time and money to deal with them. I have gotten to the point now where I email them pics of the things I need repaired/replaced, they order the parts, ( hopefully the correct ones) I pick them up, replace them and return the defective parts to General RV. At this point I have ZERO confidence in their service department. A good indicator is when every time you walk into the service department there are new service writers. Since June, we are now dealing with our 3rd new service writer.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They play to mixed reviews. They are generally better than Camping World. Several Michigan locations, Flordia and now yours.

I've been dealing with them since back when they were known as General Trailer, in Ferndale (as I recall) Mi on 8 Mile Rd.. That was a long time ago. My only conmplaint is very, very, very minor
Old 12-01-2017, 06:33 AM   #14

I have dealt with General RV in Canton Ohio as far as parts and could not be happier as they were very friendly and helpful. Never purchased there but have tried I just felt like we weren't being taken seriously about purchase and ended up buying new from Lewis RV in Dayton Ohio and have never been treated any better elsewhere. My son even went and purchased there and is also very glad he did. With being said maybe I didn't get the salesman that wanted to sell or take the time at General or I didn't give them a chance. I think he might have been profiling us and felt we weren't able to afford what we we were looking at. Don't judge the book by its cover, LOL.