Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #1

Question Generator Camping

Just bought a Class C motorhome and new to having a generator. I would like to know how one uses the generator on a day-to-day basis when there is no shore power (like a Nascar race). Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it's cold I use the generator only for hair dryers, microwave, etc and to charge the batteries. Our TV etc will run from the inverter. If it's hot I run it when we want air conditioning. Sometimes it runs 24 hours a day.

You will need to invest in a Genturi if running the generator in a close area, (such as Nascar) which moves the exhaust above the roof line of your RV. Camping World usually has a very competitive price on those.

JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Or make your own for a whole lot less... Home made Genturi - Topic Barthmobile.com

I'm, $120+ for a plastic pipe?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Use of a generator depends on where you are. Campgrounds and organized RV gatherings may have strict rules on when or how long. Walmarts and truck parking areas generally have no rules at all. In other places, it may be whatever your neighbors can tolerate. Often folks run them for a few hours in the morning to recharge batteries after the overnight drain, and to make coffee, microwave breakfast or whatever. Then again in the evening to recharge again and maybe watch tv etc.

It is not safe to run them overnight while you sleep - too much risk of CO poisoning.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #5

Why is it everyone seems to run tv's on 120 volt when you can buy 12 volt dc tv's with built in dvd players for the same price?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Many RVs have the auto-start system on the generator which makes life easy. You can then set the parameters one time and forget it I recommend that you check that out.

Onan has a retrofit EC30W that I use and am very satisfied with.

Good luck.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #7

On the track I have no issues with running a genset alot, at a campground the practice is irresponsible; we were taught that if you could be heard at the next site you were being rude, ahh-the good ole days.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Rough Road that was true back in the day, however today's parks have shore power and gensets aren't needed. Additionally most generators today are much quiter.

We go to a lot of Alabama football games with no chance of getting into a park and run our genset for days but then so does everybody else. We do use a Gen Turi for safety.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
Why is it everyone seems to run tv's on 120 volt when you can buy 12 volt dc tv's with built in dvd players for the same price?

In my case the TV's were installed at the factory.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
CD

What worked well for us, the convetor is a multi stage so the gen set would charge the batts to about 80% in an hour or so but took forever to top off. I added a 45w solar panel and by evening had full charge again. I used a small invertor for TV, computer etc.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
In my case the TV's were installed at the factory.

Jon
Quality, and I've never seen a 19" flat screen that runs on 12 volt w/dvd that cost the same as a 19" 120 volt model. Usually a bare bones 15" 12 volt costs as much as a regular 120 volt 19" home unit w/dvd.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #12

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for all the helpful information. One thing for sure: I thought I spent a lot of money on my travel trailer, but owning an RV is a much more expensive proposition. I am looking at a Genturi and the autostart.

Now, a dinghy!

Tsumner
Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #13

dadeaux-agreed, in the right place go for it. However in any park, campground, Corps of Engineers or public lands I really think the restrictions should be expanded alot. In fact I would go so far as to limit times to 4-6 pm, even with the new super quiet ones, while they are an engineering marvel if used directly next to or even a few sites away the drone is clearly audible-if someone NEEDS to have power they should be at hookups only.

We were very, very reasonable campers; if someone pulled in next to us later in the evening and immediately started the generator we never said anything because we figured that they were using the microwave for supper, but we also never had to say anything because I cannot remember anyone ever using a generator late for more than 20 minutes or so: like I said, -the good ole days- when common courtesy was not so uncommon, remember when people who arrived late would apologize the next day for pulling in after dark and say that they hoped it was not an annoyance???. Now its accepted practice for the createns on all sides to start the gensets NOT at the strike of the allowed hour, but a few minutes before. Of course these are the same people who will use your site for cut throughs, play loud music/have an outside tv or two, be constantly on the cell phone, cuss with every other word and have no clue as to how to build a proper fire, -it really is amazing.

Now, I have never been to a track setting but we have been told that in the areas without hookups the fumes from diesel gensets is more than overwhelming, true?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
If it's cold I use the generator only for hair dryers, microwave, etc and to charge the batteries. Our TV etc will run from the inverter. If it's hot I run it when we want air conditioning. Sometimes it runs 24 hours a day.

You will need to invest in a Genturi if running the generator in a close area, (such as Nascar) which moves the exhaust above the roof line of your RV. Camping World usually has a very competitive price on those.
Interesting, found THIS statement from Cummins Onan, says they don't endorse the use of exhaust extensions. Various reasons listed, but the one that caught my eye is running the exhaust to the roof puts it next to vents and the roof top AC. Something to think about if you are installing a Gen-turi.