Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Generator Oil Filter Question

I'm going to be changing the oil and filter on the built in generator soon. It's the Onan Marquis 7000 watt.

It will get a good brand of full synthetic oil and I'm leaning towards just getting an Onan original part oil filter. I know that a lot of the automotive filters are interchangeable for the Onan gen sets and there are some good ones on the market.

Anyone ever strayed from the Onan original and had any issues? Also interested in just hearing peoples opinions.

Thanks all.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
I'm going to be changing the oil and filter on the built in generator soon. It's the Onan Marquis 7000 watt.

It will get a good brand of full synthetic oil and I'm leaning towards just getting an Onan original part oil filter. I know that a lot of the automotive filters are interchangeable for the Onan gen sets and there are some good ones on the market.

Anyone ever strayed from the Onan original and had any issues? Also interested in just hearing peoples opinions.

Thanks all.
I use the WIX equivalent for the past 5 years in my Onan generators as it costs less and is equal to or better than the Onan filter. Many OEM filters are chosen by picking the supplier that can meet the minimum spec at the lowest price . I prefer something better. If you have the Onan filter part #, I can cross reference.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Even though most people, including me, buy aftermarket oil filters for our cars, I only buy the Onan filters for generator and only Honda filters for my motrcycle. Some of the filters have specific specifications, size and bypass elements that may not always be duplicated by an aftermarket company, especially on a small engine.

I'm sure thousands of people use whatever they can buy without an issue, but I personally feel more comfortabe using the manufacturer's filters when it comes to these small engines. To me it's not worth the buck or two that is saved.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

Also make sure any filter you use for any application has a parts and labor warranty should the filter fail. It is rare they fail, but it has happened and you don't want to be stuck for repairs or a new engine.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I used a synthetic oil that pushed out oil. Last year when the unit was serviced by an Onan SC, it blew blue smoke each start. I have gone back to Onan parts/oil ordered directly from Onan, unit is humming along, no more oil blowing and no smoking.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #6

Head over to NAPA - their filters are made by WIX. Go to NAPA AUTO PARTS and enter your current filter number in the search block check the interchange check box and search for it...
Old 05-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Some additional thoughts, fill the oil filter prior to installing, and be prepared for a slow fill once the oil level reaches the filler neck.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #8

AC Delco for GM
Motorcraft for Ford
Onan for Onan
etc etc
and oil that is recommended by the manufacturer

This has worked for me for decades...I leave the interchanges and the snake oil to the others
Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I had the commercial version of the Onan Marquis 7000 in the wife's mobile dog grooming van. It didn't much care for synthetic oil or non-OEM filters. Since we relied on it for eight hour a day, five days a week operation, we stuck with what Onan installed in it originally after trying out the WIX filters and synthetics. Blowing blue smoke like was mentioned in a post above was enough to convince me. I bought the filters by the case as I was changing them and the oil in the generator crankcase every month.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Interesting about the blue smoke that a couple of people mentioned. I wonder what would cause that, unless the viscosity of the oil was wrong and some oil was slipping past the rings and entering the combustion chamber.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I went ahead and got the Onan original filter off of ebay. $14 with shipping. A bit more than something I might have purchased at the auto parts store. I think I'll go with 15w-40w synthetic for the oil. That's the recommended viscosity rating. Onamax is conventional oil and synthetic is better for air cooled engines because better thermal break down resistance.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #12

I have a 7.5K in our 1998 Monaco and have always used a Napa Gold filter and Delo 15 W 40 oil. It's made for a diesel. My generator only has 2444 hours on it right now and has never had the top cover taken off. I think I'll stay with what I found works pretty well.

I use the same products for the cummins engine, now at 177,415 miles, and it has never had the cover off either.

I change the oil and filters on every thing once a year. Works for me.

Larry

Tags
generator