Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #1

Generator question

My rv is plugged in to power while resting for the past 7 weeks and it will continue to sit idle until I use it on January 10th. Can I run the generator, just to keep it active while it's plugged in or should I unplug it prior to starting up the generator? The only reason I ask is I have to crawl under it to unplug and then plug it back in due to placement of the outlet. BTW, it's parked outdoors in SoCA so no winterization concerns. Thanks for any replies!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 10:17 PM   #2

If you dont have a transfer switch, unplug it, but do it at the other end of the cord, why go under it? If your cord is hard wired to the rv and the gen is factory installed I would think it has a transfer switch also
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:53 AM   #3

You can start the generator and it will switch over to generator power, regardless of shore power being on or off. It has a 30 second delay.

Do it with the air conditioners and other high draw items off and you will be fine.

Once it switchs over, add some load. They recommend that. Just turn the load off before switching the generator off. It will switch back to shore power.

That's how a Automatic Transfer Switch works, automaticly.

If you just want to run the generator with no load, switch off the breakers on its control panel. It will run but not send out any power. No power, no automatic transfer.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Twinboat is correct in that to properly exercise your generator you need to run it under load ( run a couple of AC units) for 30 min or so. You should do this every month or so.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can start the generator and it will switch over to generator power, regardless of shore power being on or off. It has a 30 second delay.

Do it with the air conditioners and other high draw items off and you will be fine.

Once it switches over, add some load. They recommend that. Just turn the load off before switching the generator off. It will switch back to shore power.

That's how a Automatic Transfer Switch works, automatically.

If you just want to run the generator with no load, switch off the breakers on its control panel. It will run but not send out any power. No power, no automatic transfer.
However, if you cannot place a load on your genset it does little good for it to run, just burns(in your case) gas.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
However, if you cannot place a load on your genset it does little good for it to run, just burns(in your case) gas.
Burning the aging gas left in the carburator is a good thing.

While the gas in the tank is sealed from the environment, the gas left in the carburator bowl is open to the atmosphere. It can foul and start to varnish just sitting there.

Even the generator manual says to run it to burn the gas thru the carburator, while also heating the generator head windings.

There are many more fouled carburators then bad windings in RV generators.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Burning the aging gas left in the carburator is a good thing.

While the gas in the tank is sealed from the environment, the gas left in the carburator bowl is open to the atmosphere. It can foul and start to varnish just sitting there.

Even the generator manual says to run it to burn the gas thru the carburator, while also heating the generator head windings.

There are many more fouled carburators then bad windings in RV generators.
My gas genset has a fuel shutoff valve, and a drain screw on the carb to conveniently drain the carb for storage. I suppose I shouldn't assume other brands do have these.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:17 PM   #8

Thanks all for your posts. I will run it with both air conditioners activated on Saturday (hope it's still warm as Friday it will be in the upper 70's) and enjoy some football on the tv. I'll also unplug before firing it up.

Tags
generator