Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #1

Generator questions

We are looking for a generator for our new to us 5er. I am not really sure what size to get . The 5er does have a 13500 AC but I dont know that we will use it much . We dont generally like the heat so we avoid those areas . I am concerned about noise , we dont want to disturb our neighbors or ourselves . I see that Honda seems to be the most popular and the quietest by a db or 2 . i am not really sure how much that actually is though . I would like to hear any recommendations or feedback you have to offer . Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
If I was buying a portable generator it would be a Honda for reliability and noise. You need to figure out how much power you could potentially use and then you will know what size to buy. Consider all the lights, TV, DVD or Satellite player and maybe even the micro wave if you think all those could be on at the same time. Otherwise get one you can afford and know how much power is used by each appliance and use accordingly.

macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim81147
We are looking for a generator for our new to us 5er. I am not really sure what size to get . The 5er does have a 13500 AC but I dont know that we will use it much . We dont generally like the heat so we avoid those areas . I am concerned about noise , we dont want to disturb our neighbors or ourselves . I see that Honda seems to be the most popular and the quietest by a db or 2 . i am not really sure how much that actually is though . I would like to hear any recommendations or feedback you have to offer . Thanks.
The Honda 2000i seems to be highly recommended. So far, have not used mine with the RV yet, but have used it extensively with our sailboat. It will power 1 complete 15 amp circuit. On my boat, I can recharge batteries using my 40 amp xantrex charger and heat the hot water tank at the same time. As far as noise, too me it is very acceptable, depending on time of day. However, in my experience, it will disturb some people. Overall, I highly recommend it. Very reliable, easy on gas, and reasonably quiet.
Tom
Old 10-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda EU series or the equivalent Yamaha for quiet and reliable. Anything else and you neighbors will hate you.

Also the inverter type generators get along great with electronics.

I went with the two UE2000i in parallel because they are light enough I can handle them one at a time. ...about 52# each with fuel.

Ken
Old 10-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #5

Probably at least 3,000 watts.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #6

I love my Honda 3000 watt inverter model............SUPER quiet and SUPER fuel stingy
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #7

I need one, too. I've done all the research and have concluded the 2000 will not power the AC; only the 3000 can do it. Since you do not have to use the AC often, you can probably get away with the 2000. Regardless of the size you need, it appears Honda gets the the nod for reliability and less noise, hands down over other brands.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How much that air conditioner will take starting is the question.. Generally 2 Honda EU-2000i with parallel kit will run it, Sometimes a Honda EU-3000i will do it or a Yahama EF-3600i Personally... I'd give the Yahama the best chance but it is heavier than the others, (As the 3000 is heavier than the 2000) many folks prefer the pair of 2K's.

These are also among the quietest portables made... At a rally I observed a demonstration of 3 Yahama's a 1200, 2400 and 3600.. Under no-light load I could hear the two larger ones, the person beside me could not (I am a retired police dispatcher and active ham radio operator, I'm used to filtering out sounds I do not wish to hear in order to hear the one I'm listening for) Under full load with the 2400 we had to raise our voices.. This gives you an idea of how loud/quiet they are (half load we did not raise our voices)

Hondas.... Much the same sound level.

KIPOR: Average noise level is the same, but the sound is much more annoying.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #9

generators

This is a well discussed subject. Something that I looked into a couple of years ago with much frustration. Personally I couldn't get around the $1000 per 2000watt units. I finally settled on 2 2000watt Champion's for about half the cost of the Honda's. Each unit is light enough for me to lift (I'm 69 yrs. old). Supposedly they are as quiet as the Honda's and Yamaha's although I've never heard them side by side. They have a parallel kit available to synch the pair for around 4000 watts. So far I'm satisfied.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

For quiet you want an inverter type generator like the Honda and Yamaha "i" models. Honeywell, Boliy, etc. make cheaper versions of them. Inverter generators generate DC that powers an internal inverter, allowing the engine to run at variable speed depending on load. On average they will be much quieter than direct 120vac generation devices, that must run at a constant 3600 RPMs regardless of load.

For size, you need to have enough watts for the appliances you will use. It doesn't make any difference if you use the a/c only once or a dozen times - if you ever want to power it with the generator, then it needs to be about to produce the power needed to start and run the a/c. That's probably at least 3000 watts..
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #11

I have a Honda 3000i. Great genset but it is to heavy for most of us old farts. I am looking at two of the chinese 2000i's sold at Costco. The Hondas are just to expensive. My MH genset is 4000kw but is just to damn noisy to run and watch tv as well as the vibration. As much as we pay for these MHs you would think they would do something better for the noise and vibration. Also on this last trip we were getting exhaust fumes into the coach through the slide. I had to find a piece of pipe to get the exhaust away from the slide. There was no wind and the genset is just forward of the slide. Not to smart of a design. I want to get the genset away from the coach for all the reasons stated.

Mark

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #12

[QUOTE=Gary RVRoamer;992966]For quiet you want an inverter type generator like the Honda and Yamaha "i" models. Honeywell, Boliy, etc. make cheaper versions of them. [QUOTE]

So how do these cheaper models compare with the Honda or Yamaha as far as noise and reliability ? One would assume that there must be some drawbacks to them if they are sold at less expensive prices.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
If it were me I would go with 2 Honda 2000i's and the parallel kit. If you want to run the Air Conditioner it will take both. At the same time, the need for running the air is rare, and that is when we found that being outside enjoying what we came for in the camper was not much fun so we went home. Almost everything else in a 5'r can be handled with one unit. Things like coffe pots and electric heaters draw a lot. But stop and think about how often you run each item at the same time. Using the genset to keep the batteries charged and making the coffee in the morning may be all that is needed. I had a 31ft 5'r and 1 Honda and I only used it while camping once, and once at home to plug in my refrig and a nieghbors during a power outage. It is safe to run your laptop using the Honda! Can the cheaper ones do the same?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The cheaper inverter generators are probably fine until you have a problem. Parts and service are likely to be scarce or delayed.

As for reliability, one would suspect that there is less, but I haven't seen any factual studies that give any statistics. I recall that when Boliy first came out there were quite a few problems and the distributor could not provide timely parts and service. A new distributor took over the product and seems to be doing better, from what I hear. Haven't heard any feedback on the other brands, which may be a good sign.

If you don't use the generator heavily, one of the less expensive models might be a good deal.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator