Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Generator quits

We are in Iowa getting the toad modified for towing and some items fixed on the Winnebago motorhome. One thing that broke on the way to Iowa was the genny. Has always run fine but a few days ago it started as always ran less than one minute after the 110v was operating, and then quit and refused to start again. Turned over fine but no hint of starting. When it shut uff it was as if you had pushed the stop button, so I doubted it was fuel, but probably electrical.

Since we were at the Winne factory the next day we had then look at it. They said some wires had moved and interfered with the governor. They fixed that and they ran it for an hour w/o further problems.

The next day we drove to pick up the modified toad and planned to boondock there. Got there and started the genny. Ran again for a minute or so after the 110v clicked on. No load yet. Then it shuts off as before refusing all efforts to start it.

So, back to Winnie the next day. We boondocked in the parking lot. The next AM, I gave it a try and viola, it started right up. The Winnie tech then checked all wires, road tested for 10 miles, changed oil/filter and fuel filter, test ran for several hours, all ok.

The tech and I had a long conversation about what it might be. Oil low level sensor, circuit board, bad wire connector, loose ground, etc, etc. he claimed to have checked all of the above and found nothing. So we are staying the night here again and will be testing it several times. If the wind lays down we plan some driving on rough roads. If all is still ok, guess we will start home to TN tomorrow

Anybody have any other ideas we can check while we are here?

BTW, it is an Onan 5.5 HGJAB-1058 genny with a bit under 300 hours on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Is the unit sending any error codes on the lighted start switch?

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsallach View Post
Is the unit sending any error codes on the lighted start switch?
According to the tech, no codes shown. When I asked about circuit board he said that throws a code.

I may have screwed up. When the shutdowns occurred I did not look at the outside status meter for codes. I should have, just did not think of it. Do they stay in memory for later retrieval?
Old 03-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Check the shut off solenoid valve. If that is getting intermittent power it would shut off just like shutting the key off.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Take a look at this link

Old 03-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #6

Immediately fter it shuts down, pull the fuel line off the carburetor and hit the prime button. If no fuel comes out, its a bad fuel pump. They will usually work again after sitting a while so you need to check it quickly.
The other thing I can think of is dirt or varnish flakes in the carburetor bowl. Particles can get sucked into the pickup at the bottom of the bowl and float free when the engine stops. It would be worth opening the drain at the bottom of the bowl and seeing what comes out. While you have the fuel line off and the drain screw out, spray SeaFoam into the carburetor and let it soak for a while.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsallach View Post
Thanks so much! This proved to be the problem (so far anyway). The tech disabled the solenoid and it now runs perfectly for several hours. Will maybe or maybe not replace the part, I can do it myself but tech and I agreed, probably don’t need it. He told me he disables the solenoid on all of his personal at home stuff that has it thanks again!
Old 03-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you think you got it solved!

Old 03-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #9

That's a anti backfire solenoid.

It shuts the main jet when shutting down, so no gas gets drawn in while its winding down.

The gas could fire off in the hot muffler and go boom.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:41 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well guys, the problem is not solved after all. We left winne yesterday and ran it for 1/2 hr on the road. Then shut t off until we stopped for the evening. Started it and it ran for a minute or so after the 110 came on and shut down has not started since.

We have an appt with a real Onan service center to hopefully track it down. Hopefully it stays in no start mode. Will update.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Update: looks like Onan in Knoxville found the problem. They checked all they could yesterday. At my pleading they kept it overnite and started it this morning. I started fine and then quit after a minute or os. Would not restart. The mechanic then tapped the fuel pump with a wrench and it started up again and runs fine.

Yea!! The bad news is it is pricey, but at this point I am just happy to have a diagnosis and fix.

Tags
generator