Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #1

Genny soundproofing

I was thinking of insulting the cabinet that the genny is in to cut down the noise for neighbors. i could sleep through a bombing so it doesn't bother me. I was wondering what would be the best to use, fiberglass insulation, foam board or whatever.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #2

This is a good question. I believe the majority of the noise is directed downwards and I have noticed that the amount of noise also depends on the surface I'm parked on. Concrete and asphalt would obviously reflect the noise and not dampen the sound at all. A rough dirt/pine needle/bark/grass covered surface absorbs or deflects much less noise.

I had considered placing a homasote (sp?) board under the generator, but it would fall apart too easily and be too bulky to carry. Another idea is to get the foam garage mats that link together and place them under the genny. Though I don't know if the downdraft from the cooling fan would blow it away.

While it is a little noisy inside the coach, mainly from transmitted vibrations, I think most of the outside noise comes from under the compartment the genny is housed in.

I'll be interested in hearing other's observations and solutions. Thanks for bringing the topic up.

Tom

Old 02-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

A old peice of carpet on the ground/pavement helps quite a bit. Go to a carpet store dumpster on Saturday morning and it's free. When done return.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
""I was thinking of insulating the cabinet that the genny is in" Check with the manufacturer to see if you can insulate the cab. it could possibly
overheat the genset, don't block any cooling grates, I'm not sure if that would help much or not once you did that for outside noise, maybe running a tailpipe out the back if not already would direct the sound to a different area?
93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
There are a number of self adhesive sound proofing materials that could be used for the cabinet itself. Underneath, there are some suggestions already on the thread that sound very inexpensive and worth a try.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #6

interesting. Could velcro some old carpeting to inside of cabinet also if fireproof
Old 02-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #7

I used automotive Low-E and 3M adhesive and followed the clearances specified by the Onan installation manual. The exhaust can be quieted with the Onan resonator and/or SuperTrapp.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #8

Genturi for exhaust and carpet under too.

A roll or other shape to dissipate whatever is there.

Something placed in front of with air space may help too.

Tinker with it.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #9

I thought about doing this a few times, However, I just don't feel comfortable blocking any portion of open air area that would hinder the cooling of the unit....JMO
Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
I was thinking of insulting the cabinet that the genny is in to cut down the noise for neighbors. i could sleep through a bombing so it doesn't bother me. I was wondering what would be the best to use, fiberglass insulation, foam board or whatever.
It's on my to-do list. I've researched some sound proofing materials, here's a few:

HushMat sound deadening & insulation material reduces noise and heat in Boats, RV's and Recreation vehicles

25^ Mega Mat Sound Deadener Noise Killer | FatMat Sound Controlâ„¢

GT MAT SOUND CONTROL, LLC Automotive Sound Deadener Dampning Material Dynamat Alternative

Thermozite Insulator Padding - Sound & Heat Solution

Or a spray-on solution if you could access the inside of the gen set enclosure:
Sound Control Insulation - Sound Damping Coating | LizardSkin

RV Insulation Coating - Recreational Vehicle Thermal Insulation | LizardSkin
Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin2Camp View Post
I thought about doing this a few times, However, I just don't feel comfortable blocking any portion of open air area that would hinder the cooling of the unit....JMO
Onan specifies clearance and air flow requirements in their installation manuals. Go forth with knowledge.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 PM   #12

Rather than just putting carpet on the ground suspend it under the gen but with enough room for airflow. This will give be better sound absorption than on the ground. Sound absorping foam sheets work even better but takes more room to store.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #13

This Duct Mastic Sealant 1 Gallon Generic | eBay with 2 cans of spray Boom Mat. I found its the easiest way to reduce the sound by 25%-35%.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #14

foam

I notice on ebay there are foam sprays which can be applied and also flexible panels which can be glued or pop riveted. Really cheap. i think come warm weather i will ry it.

Tags
roof