Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #15

Borax is the same stuff.

rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After searching multiple stores, big box/small box/Wally box, in Nova Scotia, the only place I've been able to locate Calgon is at Home Hardware. It's the powdered version. If they don't have it in stock they will order in for you, or you can order online. It's about $8.50/box.

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #17

Thanks - what do you mean "it is perhaps your sink and shower traps are empty and allow venting through your traps." = as to traps do you mean the little baskets in the sink and the metal grate on the shower hole? What do you mean perhaps they are empty?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
A sink trap is the U shaped bend in the drain that holds (traps) water so sewer gas doesn't come back up into the sink. If you haven't used a sink in a while, or drive on bumpy roads, the water can escape the trap and then sewer gas (and flies) could enter the RV. Running a little water will fill them back up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #19

Thanks - now I know what is meant by "trap". learning something everyday.
and I am starting from nothing..... about fixing things.... I love it.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #20

A friend has a septic service company.He told me bleach and fabric softener were not good for septic systems.The softener coats the leaching fields and seals the soil ,preventing water absorption.I useplain water.Unless a fan is running when you flush pulling fumes from the toilet there is no odor.And I am lucky cause my S**t doesn'tstink.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Bleach will kill bacteria in your tank, ending the break down of solids. You want bacteria in your tank, they break down and process waste. Bleach will temporarily deodorize, but then so does active bacterial action. Undiluted bleach in a trap or in contact to some plastics can cause damage, that's why directions using bleach to purify water tanks always says to dilute BEFORE putting into water tank.
Just what do you, or anybody else for that matter, put in your black or grey tank that normal driving won't break up? We all know that TP breaks up when you put it in a jar and shake it up. If I forget to flush in my S&B, by the next time I go in the bathroom, what ever is in the toilet is starting to "melt". You have a 3" flush valve and I can't imagine anything that big going down a MH toilet.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Bleach won't harm the plumbing at all (bleach comes in plastic bottles), but it does kill the natural bacteria that break down waste in both gray and black tanks. IMO You would be better off adding an enzyme than any of the stuff you are using, but we seldom even do that. Plain old water does fine for us, but ours is in regular use.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #23

Again. What waste do you put in your black tanks that doesn't get broken down by the movement of your RV or sitting for days, weeks or month?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #24

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
Anyone try pouring some "Odoban" in the toilet. It comes inn different scents. I dumped some orange flavor in our tank and when I flushed it a couple times, I made it to plain clear water coming out. No, I wouldn't drink it.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
Again. What waste to you put in your black tanks that doesn't get broken down by the movement of your RV or sitting for days, weeks or month?
Most people use the GEO method to clean their sensors, not necessarily to clean their tanks (although it works for that too). I use it to keep my sensors reading properly. It's not perfect, but it's worked for us the last 3 years of full timing. The stuff in my blank tank breaks down nicely with proper tank management (wait until tank is at least 2/3 full to dump, use plenty of water when flushing etc.), but my sensors do tend to gunk up.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob
A friend has a septic service company.He told me bleach and fabric softener were not good for septic systems.The softener coats the leaching fields and seals the soil ,preventing water absorption.I useplain water.Unless a fan is running when you flush pulling fumes from the toilet there is no odor.And I am lucky cause my S**t doesn'tstink.
If what you say is true my septic system at home would have been plugged years ago. (Using fabric softener and bleach) for laundry. 15 years and my leach field is just fine . Were a family of 7 so we do (did) lots of laundry.
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
A friend has a septic service company.He told me bleach and fabric softener were not good for septic systems.The softener coats the leaching fields and seals the soil ,preventing water absorption.
The GEO method recommends WATER softener, NOT FABRIC softener.

Calgon Water Softener contains carbonic acid, sodium salt, sodium citrate, and sodium sulfate. It helps dissolve hard water mineral deposits, which can cause sensors to give incorrect readings, and makes your waste tanks cleaner and less likely to smell. It also increases the action of detergents and helps break down grease and oils.

Borax is NOT the same, it works by creating hydrogen peroxide and aids bleach in cleaning fabric. It is also useful as an insecticide and a DISINFECTANT, thus it will kill bacteria. Not a good thing for a black tank.

As a retired science teacher, borax and white glue is also an awesome demonstration of creating a polymer and a fun science experiment.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #28

WheelingIt, Thanks.

12 years with my 5er and never a problem with sensors or any drainage issues. I did have the battery sensor on my display go bad.