Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #1

We're planning on taking our first extended trip (5 months) this Spring, and I was wondering how everyone handles getting cash while on the road. I presently bank with a small home-town bank and use their ATM when needing cash. When out on the road do I just bite the bullet and pay the $2.00 fee when using another institutions ATM, or should I change my account to a national bank like Bank Of America. What are my options??

2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #2

We're planning on taking our first extended trip (5 months) this Spring, and I was wondering how everyone handles getting cash while on the road. I presently bank with a small home-town bank and use their ATM when needing cash. When out on the road do I just bite the bullet and pay the $2.00 fee when using another institutions ATM, or should I change my account to a national bank like Bank Of America. What are my options??

2002 Jayco Eagle 300FSS Travel Trailer, 2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 w/Duramax, RDS 60 Gallon Toolbx/Tank Combo, Edge EZ, Boost Stick, Bilstein Shocks, Michelin 265 MS2, Isspro Pyrometer and Boost Gauges, ARE Topper, Honda EU3000
Roy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Walmart as well as other stores will give you "cash back" when you use your card for purchases. not sure how much you can get back but believe it is up to $100.

Al

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #4

In addition to WalMart, most all major chain grocery stores will do the same. If you walk into a bank, any bank, you can usually get cash on your ATM up to your daily limit. We recently learned, however, that the banks are catching on to this "avoidance of the ATM fee" and some have rejected this. You should be able to write a check on your account at any bank for cash without a fee. Some gas stations and restaurants will give cash back when you use your ATM for a purchase. You just need to ask before committing yourself to the purchase.

There is no need to pay an ATM fee if you plan ahead. We've traveled coast-to-coast getting cash as we needed it from businesses and never paid a fee in 5-1/2 months of travel. We usually carry no more than $100 at a time. It can be done. (P.S. Like you, ours is a small, local bank, not a state or nationwide institution).

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:29 PM   #5

The cash back on a purchase when using your card is normally limited to that of a debit card ...not a credit card. We do this all the time at many locations away in another state as well as here on our home front too. We have never been charged a fee for this service or known anyone else to be charged.

Rich
Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:28 AM   #6

We go for months at a time and Bank in Canada. We have a US fund account and Visa issued through our Canadian bank and charge everything we can to Visa. We each carry minimum cash and this will last a loooooong time, unless we run into a golf course or store that does not accept Visa.

If needed, we pay the $2.00 fee to use a "foreign" bank to replenish our cash.

We usually deposit our anticipated total expenditures to Visa thus working on a debit balance most of the trip.

We prepay all of our regular bills and utilities that cannot be directly withdrawn.

That has worked very well for us for five years now.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #7

Like the others we never pay ATM fee. Get cash back at large retail stores,we use our debit card.
Joe
Our Website
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:00 PM   #8

Yet another place where we can get cash back is at the post office. In larger post offices we buy stamps, and use an ATM debit card, and ask for $50 cash back. Have only been turned down once, and then only because the clerk was low on cash in her drawer.

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Nick Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:59 AM   #9

Roy,
You might ask your bank to see if you can get a debit card from them. We use Bank of America's Visa Debit card and get cash back from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, most grocery stores and some truck stops (Pilot, I think, will offer "cash back?" option if I pay inside). Just have to remember the pin number when I use as a debit instead od as a credit card (then I sign it). We went with BOA because there was one close to where we live (part-time) in NC as well as in most of the places we travel to. We do not have any credit cards and no direct deposit so we need to access a bank to deposit checks. There is a lot of discussion on this subject if you use the "search" button. What works for some doesn't work for others. Make sure you understand the limitations involved (usually, you don't get "cash back" on a credit card at Wal-mart, etc).
Old 01-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #10

We use very little cash on extended summer travel. Put eerything possible on VISA. Have automatic payment of bills. We then pull our ATM daily maximum of $400 as needed once in a while. For that convenience, a $2 fee would be noise level. However our bank (USAA) covers those fees up to about $9 per month.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #11

Roy,

The Bank of America account with ATM is the route we'll be going. We live in Maine, but are on the road for 5 or 6 months of the year. Fleet was big in Maine, and was absorbed by BAC last year, and they are most places we are.
For the last 4 years we relied on the free ATM at Publix. This year they assessed a $ 1.00 transaction fee and I won't blow 20-30 to access cash as needed. We use OUR money for most purchases, so will open a BAC account. We will however maintain our small town bank relationship.