Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #1

Getting DEF in Pilot/FJ Truck Lanes

My diesel tank is in the front of my MH and the DEF tank is in the rear. Has anyone else had the pump time out at Pilot/FJ truck lanes after you finish filling the diesel, move the MH forward, and before starting to add DEF? I have tried pulling the DEF nozzle out of the pump before pulling forward but it still times out if I'm a little slow. I then swipe my card again to get DEF only, but it seems like you can't just get DEF only. The pump wants to see some quantity of diesel pumped for this new swipe before you can switch to DEF. I have tried a variety of touch screen options such as 'Cancel' and 'Skip" but can't figure it out. Anyone know the way to tell the pump to bypass diesel?

I should add that I use the RV Plus card so I don't need to go inside the store.
WWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWanderer View Post
My diesel tank is in the front of my MH and the DEF tank is in the rear. Has anyone else had the pump time out at Pilot/FJ truck lanes after you finish filling the diesel, move the MH forward, and before starting to add DEF? I have tried pulling the DEF nozzle out of the pump before pulling forward but it still times out if I'm a little slow. I then swipe my card again to get DEF only, but it seems like you can't just get DEF only. The pump wants to see some quantity of diesel pumped for this new swipe before you can switch to DEF. I have tried a variety of touch screen options such as 'Cancel' and 'Skip" but can't figure it out. Anyone know the way to tell the pump to bypass diesel?

I should add that I use the RV Plus card so I don't need to go inside the store.
As a truck driver by trade, I use the Pilot/FJ pumps quite frequently. I like the rewards program that they have for professional drivers.
I've never had any issues with just getting DEF if that's all I need. After swiping my fuel and rewards card, I just press skip on the first screen to go onto the DEF screen.
Have you ever tried touching the buttons beside the screen? I've yet to use a Pilot/FJ pump that had a touch screen.
Hope you get it figured out.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 12-05-2018, 12:18 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I have the same issue. Its fairly simple: after you fuel hang up the pump and pull forward for DEF. Re-swipe you card and select other, the second page offers DEF only. I find the P/FJ pretty handy overall. Just wish they would change the windshield tub more often.
"If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes".
paparazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:46 AM   #5

Thanks everyone! Phil Perrin, I should have said the buttons on the side of the screen, you are right; it's not a touch screen. I'll try doing what you said.
WWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #6

I know this is not related but... when I stop at f/j or any true truck fueling stop the pumps I have been to require a fleet card and will not accept a private cc. Do you guys get a fleet fuel card. Also noticed fleet price to be different as well as cash prices. Started going to a non truck fuel point if I can fit due to covinance and seems like less fuel spills at islands. Gets on shoes stinks up the coach. Need the blue booties for shoes
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #7

Nathaniel, get an FJ RV account, they will send you a card to swipe at the pump. You'll get .08 off diesel and billed / debited out of your checking at the end of the month. Granted FJ's are always high priced to start but, it's a convenience thing. Painter's booties do work!
Old 12-05-2018, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
Nathaniel, get an FJ RV account, they will send you a card to swipe at the pump. You'll get .08 off diesel and billed / debited out of your checking at the end of the month. Granted FJ's are always high priced to start but, it's a convenience thing. Painter's booties do work!
Definitely look into that, I have run into this at most commercial stops not just f/j thanks for the info
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:48 AM   #9

I have a P/FJ RV card getting def and fuel at the pump is easy with out having to swipe your card a second time.
Swipe your card
Select tractor for fuel then it ask you to select def or skip
Select def
Enter control number (PIN)
Lift fuel nozzle and pump fuel
When finished fueling pull forward and pull the def nozzle and press the def product selection button fill and you’re done.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I don't like to fool with getting DEF and fuel at the same time. I buy my DEF or at Wal Mart or discount tractor supply places.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I don't like to fool with getting DEF and fuel at the same time. I buy my DEF or at Wal Mart or discount tractor supply places.
A couple years ago a member said he bought DEF at WM, got home and opened one container only to discover is was water instead of DEF.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
I do not give anyone permission to access my bank account. I just use our Good Sam card to get the 8 cent discount, and use my Discover card for pmt to get an additional 2% discount.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A couple years ago a member said he bought DEF at WM, got home and opened one container only to discover is was water instead of DEF.
DEF is 2/3 water, 1/3 urea, which comes from animal urine.
Not sure how the scientists came up with that combo to reduce emissions, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
But, I've never had any issue with jugs of DEF from wherever I've had to buy it.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #14

I had that problem when I went inside; however, since I got my P/FJ card I have not had the problem. My diesel is mid-coach and DEF is rear.

Now fun is getting into my storage location by myself. Have to get out of coach go to driver side punch in code, RUN around to get in and hustle to get started before gate starts closing.

Tom

Tags
def, diesel, flying j, pilot