Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #1

Getting frustrated with the repair shop

I bought my first Diesel pusher in Florida this summer. It is a 2006 model. I am in Indiana so I had to hire a technician to do the inspection over the phone. He inspected it and assured me it was a good coach. Overall it seems to be but he seemed to miss the quite obvious hydraulic line leaking for the jacks.
I would catch it now but at the time all the systems can be a bit overwhelming and I didn't notice it as hydraulic systems are new to me.

Anyway that's not the point. Lesson learned.

Now I drove the coach back to Indiana and have it in storage for a month and a half before I take it to a dealer to change the fluids and filters as well as replace the lines and one of the leaking jacks. It was expensive but not out of line with what I have researched on here.

Once the work was done we went to pick up the coach and drive it back home (2hr drive) When I picked up the coach all the storage bays underneath were unlocked. No big deal because nothing was in them. I locked them all and did a walkaround the coach before leaving.

About 15mins from home a trucker pulls up next to me on the highway and signals that something is wrong. I glance into the passenger mirror and see the door covering the water tanks swinging open. This door is supposed to be screwed closed and only opened for repairs. The techs at the shop didn't screw it back closed. The wind caught it and bent it backwards. Fortunately the screws were sitting on the floor in the bay so I was able to close and secure the door until I got home.

I called the dealer and they said they would take care of it.

A few weeks has passed now and we have taken it on a trip

I took the coach back to the dealer and they fixed it no charge and re-painted it.

Now when I go back to pick up the coach. I talk to the tech and they said they will look at it and figure out what is drawing the power. I havent had this problem before while it was sitting in storage and all the batteries are new.

So I wait a week and they call me to come get it. I go to the lot and the coach is sitting outside in the corner of the lot. Every door on the coach is unlocked (The main entry door and all the bays) This time we have stuff in it. All-clad pots, TV, euro-recliner, tools underneath, grill etc.
When I get inside the coach the house batteries are still dead and nothing has been done with the electrical check out.

I'm getting king of frustrated and losing confidence here. Fortunately they haven't charged me any more and they said they will look into it. I would just like them to take care of it already so I can get it out of the lot. We will be full-timing in this at the 1st of the year and I want to get all the mechanical stuff squared away.

Anyway - just wanted to vent. Verdict is still out on these guys. They seem nice enough but this is getting frustrated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I would wave goodby to them as I headed out the gate to another dealer! JMHO

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry to read about your problems with this place, hopefully soon they will get you straightened out and you can leave there not to return and find others to do your work for you when needed. Can you tell us where and the name of this dealer was as I do not want to stop there in my travels if I am having troubles on the road?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
When they basically kicked all your personal stuff to the curb, I wouldn't let them work on it any longer. Find someone you can trust, ask around, go to the net, service reviews and so on.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #5

Where are you in Indiana and what brand coach do you have?

Dan
Old 11-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #6

I'm not ready to flame the dealer yet. Just frustrated with the process. Let's see how they resolve it.
Just needed a place of like minded folks to vent for a minute.

The guys have been nice just not thorough. If I could I would do all this work myself but this is a bit much for me right now.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Over the phone inspection?

I'm trying to figure out how do you have an "Over the phone" inspection done? Do you send pictures of the areas that are being inspected? Just wondering. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry, got to disagree just a little.

1. The coach is USED. 7 years old. You can not or should not expect like new. (although sometimes the new ones are not any better)

2. It was inspected by YOUR inspector, and O.K.ed it.

3. It appears the dealer is trying to help you, from what horror stories I have read here.

I know it is frustrating and decreasing the enjoyment of the coach. But look at it this way, You are getting all the little bugs worked out before hitting the road. Consider it part of your preparations.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
to hear about your trouble your having with your diesel M.H.
I know nothing about Diesels so I perched a gas M.H.
I know that this is not helping you in the lease but just a reminder that if you have no idea as to what you are buying then don't buy it.
Or take someone with you that knows about Diesel M.H.
Just a thought.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes you need to camp out with your MH at the dealership to get the work done and done correctly. It seems that when you just drop them off it can be an never ending process of not getting what you want....when you want or when you were told!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
to hear about your trouble your having with your diesel M.H.
I know nothing about Diesels so I perched a gas M.H.
I know that this is not helping you in the lease but just a reminder that if you have no idea as to what you are buying then don't buy it.
Or take someone with you that knows about Diesel M.H.
Just a thought.
Like I said. Live and learn about the purchase. The problems I am having aren't because its diesel.
I'm also talking about the dealers problems not the coach.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
I'm trying to figure out how do you have an "Over the phone" inspection done? Do you send pictures of the areas that are being inspected? Just wondering. Eddie Elk.
it was a pre-purchase inspection. I called the guy to have it inspected. They run through a checklist and make sure all systems are functioning normally. Its quite common. But this really wasn't the point of the post anyway.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Sometimes you need to camp out with your MH at the dealership to get the work done and done correctly. It seems that when you just drop them off it can be an never ending process of not getting what you want....when you want or when you were told!
This is sort of what its feeling like. I hope we don't have too many major issues while full-timing. Living in a service center parking lot wont be fun.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #14

Op is writing about service shop, the manager needs a talking too, rather a screaming at...

They all have the not responsible for loss signs, but that assumes care to protect customer property.

If you parked and secured it then it should stay secured, and any door not needing to be opened for requested service shoukd not be touched.

Sounds like some careless snooping going on and lack of caring to secute mh could result in damage or loss.

Their insurance carrier would not be happy either, mentioning a follow up call to them may gdt some attention

Tags
repair, rust