Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Getting fuel while towing

Just came down rt. 95 to southern Florida. towing a car on a dolly. It been a good trip with the exception of getting in and out of gas stations. Do the truck stops sell gasoline in the truck areas or only diesel? How do you fuel up it they don't

thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi richh1,
All the truck stops I've been to in the last couple of decades sell only diesel at the truck pumps. For maneuverability, consider stopping at the Flying J stations (the J). Go to Hi I'm Lynsay from Pilot Flying J and read post #1. It includes links to the Pilot Flying J (PFJ) web site for RVers. There are a couple of discount programs you can read about and belong to the one the best serves your needs (one is affiliated with Good Sam and the other is a straight cash discount). Not all Js are created equal. However, consider trying them on your return trip and see if the maneuverability they offer is acceptable to you.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by richh1 View Post
....It been a good trip with the exception of getting in and out of gas stations.....
Filling up while towing a car on a trailer or a dolly can be intimidating at first. Well at least for me it was and on the first long trip towing my '65 Mustang on a Uhaul trailer I was in near terror a couple of times. One of the thing I picked up on after the first couple of fill ups is try to find stations where the fuel lanes run parellal to the road and give yourself as much space between the pump and side of the RV as possible without blocking another lane. Shoot for at least five feet between you and the pumps. As I leave the pump, I swing slightly to the right, away from the pump, watching the rear of the RV, to give a little more room and a larger radius to as I then make the turn turn to the left and clear the dolly and toad. I use this proceedure even when I can't find lanes parellal to the road as is with most stations. I've gotten in and out of some tight areas by using the swing out to the right away from the pumps even when I had to exit to the left instead of the right.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #4

Rich, Fueling doesn't have to be tough. You have to think ahead a little and scope things out. I have been in some tight spots, but nothing that got me trapped. If it looks too tight to you, go to another place. Most of the truck places have larger places for gas, seperate from the deisel. I have been in places where I took up both pumps for a while and probably made some people angry, but you don't have much choice in smaller places...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I fill up at Costco whenever possible and have no problem with my 39' plus flat towed CRV. I use Flying J and Love's also with no problem. I try and use the outside lanes if possible. The first few times spooked me but I quickly got used to it.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of people seem intimidated by the pumps in front of FJ. Every one I have ever been at, there was plenty of room to make the turn. 34' of motorhome and towing an Explorer and never a problem.

One trick I learned over the years is to park as far away form the pump as possible, that way you can have a larger turning radius when leaving. However don't block the other pump lane.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #7

I recently discovered that Pilot has posted RV instructions at their truck pumps. If you have a Pilot or Flying J card you can pay at the pump. I do not like the truck pumps because there is too much fuel on the ground and it gets into the coach. I prefer Flying J islands but for some reason at the island you are limited to $75 per fill so you have to run the card a few times to fill the tanks.

38' bounder towing SRX.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #8

Ya gotta watch where ya walk.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We always use the Flying J's. They have an RV Island for fueling. We've never had a problem getting thru the lanes unless of course someone has parked where ther're not supposed to. That though out of all the times we've been through one has only happened twice. Just have to wait till they move.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One other trick that helps is to swing around so you're facing the way you're going to leave if thats possible then fill up. No matter how you approach it though sometimes people come flying into station and mess up your strategy, so you end up clogging up the place until a sane person lets you make your move. So while your waiting for someone to cooperate, have a nice cold glass of iced tea or a soda, maybe something to eat.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I recently discovered that Pilot has posted RV instructions at their truck pumps. If you have a Pilot or Flying J card you can pay at the pump. I do not like the truck pumps because there is too much fuel on the ground and it gets into the coach. I prefer Flying J islands but for some reason at the island you are limited to $75 per fill so you have to run the card a few times to fill the tanks.

38' bounder towing SRX.
Get some of the "painter's booties" and keep by the MH door. Slip them on before you go out and take 'em off on the way in. Keep an old pair of work gloves in the same place to put on before fueling to keep any spillage or other crud off your hands. Mama ain't happy if you go tracking nasty stuff into her coach, and we all know how it is when "mama ain't happy".
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
I have been in places where I took up both pumps for a while and probably made some people angry, but you don't have much choice in smaller places...
To heck with them. You are buying enough fuel for four cars.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #13

Anyone having trouble locating that Red Max Pro #3 low maint. floor finish
to "wax" their motorhome? Lowe's doesn't carry it here in Eastern Tenn.
Also, are there any other "easy" alternatives to making it shine like the comments from users of the Red Max?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW

To heck with them. You are buying enough fuel for four cars.
Yeah. What Sarah said.

We took a driving course from Lazy Days when we bought our first MH. The instructor told us to take our time and not to be rushed because someone in back of us is in a hurry. " you'll never see them again "

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, towing