Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #1

Getting there from here

Pardon my ignorance, but browsing thru the forums, I'm not sure that I have found the answer to my question.
Is there a program, app, website that can tell you the best route from here to there based on pulling a camper?
I do believe there is info out there ie: % grade, elevation etc for someone to be able to plan a route themselves (if you understand such things) but I was looking for some thing that would plan everything out for me knowing I have this appendage hanging behind me. A quick example, using google maps or mapquest, I ask to go from my house to Johnson, Vt. It sends me through Canada (ok, I get it) but it has me entering the States after driving through Montreal. Not real sure I want to do that.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe the only way to do this with any degree of certainty is to buy the truckers atlas and plan the route manually.

There are RV GPS out there that claim to consider the route based on the RV specs you input but I have doubts that they can be relied on with any degree of certainty. I have been sent down roads that are not suitable for our RV and the stories from other folks have issues.

Perhaps using a GPS and then reviewing the route on the hard maps may be a solution.

I am not aware of any GPS that enables you to input the max grades you want to encounter but someone with greater knowledge may be able to clarify that.

When I input the size of the RV and try to plan a route to a location in some instances the GPS will display a message that there is no legal route for me to travel. I reduce the size of the RV and try again. It seems that once the message pops up it remains as I have reduced the size of the RV to a B.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Sam's website has a routing program. It's most likely RV friendly, but not 100% sure. I found it to be a little cumbersome in the way it worked. I use Google maps, the DW uses Mapquest, we have an RV GPS unit in the motorhome, and paper maps. We use a very non-scientific method between those to figure out our route. Usually Google and Mapquest do a good job of routing. When we have to get on smaller roads and such, I tend to listen more to the GPS unit.
As always, YMMV.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a program on my laptop from I think Woodalls, that you could enter the start & stop points, and it would route you there and show all of the grades %, & campgrounds near the route. I lost it, and am looking for a current one. If anyone knows where to get it, let us know. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:47 AM   #5

I'll use google maps for location to location routes. It's not infallible, but by using the satellite view it's easy to make adjustments to my route. It will usually give you three options, with the first being the shortest route. By dragging your cursor over an option it will highlight the route on the map. Pick the one you want, then print it. It's been working for us the past 4 1/2 yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
a truckers program will work for you..low bridges and grades will be factored in
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote