Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #15

The obvious answer is "Don't trade it - remodel it instead".

Probably some of the best advice. My goal is to try to buy right the first time.
=================

The assumption about upgrades is that the buyer values them as much as you do - big assumption on such a personal entertainment vehicle and probably only if it is a private sale. The problem with private sales is it probably works best to simply price it to sell if you want to move it.

I have read some great stories on rigs up for private sale, but trying to get me to see their dream AND PAY FOR IT is a bit much when I'm looking for information that means something to me, personally, like a great verifiable job of doing ALL the maintenance, which means more than a bunch of someone else's upgrades.

They should really be selling their excellent maintenance program, their receipts, and logs. And when they aren't, they are communicating that they are trying to divert me from it into their beautiful story - which is beautiful.

I don't really care about their beautiful past, I'm working on my beautiful future.

And if you messed up and are upside down because you overbought, that's not my problem, but I will give you a paddle and pail if that will help.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
You don't get any more when you trade with upgrades, they only look at age, and general condition. Sometimes they don't even look inside for very long. What the BOOK says is bible regardless.
their good book
Old 12-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
If you can 'revert' your unit back to original and without leaving much if any trace, then do it. If not, you did have the enjoyment for some time of those mods - and why I left 2 big rooftop solar panels and an almost brand new SeeLevel tank monitoring system on our traded 5er. And now with the new one, going through some of the same process, starting with some more shelving and La-Z-Boy wall hugger recliners...... It's just like your S&B home. You make the improvement to suit your tastes and needs then move on when you change homes
This.

Yoho, moho, the traveler's life for me!
sinjineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most upgrades are personal and many are not done to a prospective buyers liking. All in all, very little if any value added. Things like satellite might add a bit but that's about it. Personally, if I were going to buy a used coach, which I never do, I would want it as close to stock as possible.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
On another thread there was discussion about the value of trading vs selling. If you get - say 50,000 for a trade in that is at 5% tax a savings of 2500. You would have to sell for 52500 privately to break even.

Then you dont deal with anyone except the dealer. No one coming back to question you about things going wrong after you sell it, no hassles or downside IMO.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Another thought about upgrades. Installing upgrades to make money on a coach you are using is a losing proposition. You should recoup some of the investment but I doubt you will break even.

Installing upgrades is for your own comfort and convenience. That is what installing upgrades should be about.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Story of my life, just ask my wife.

One thing upgrades can do for you; while they may or may not add to the "book" value of your rig, they will make it stand out among others for sale at the same time, perhaps moving yours to the top of a potential buyers list. In other words, they'll make yours more desirable than your competitors.
Agree! This year we bought an upgraded variable speed pool pump (original contractor grade pump failed), new pool plaster and a brand new, higher efficient downstairs AC (original contractor grade compressor failed).

We plan to put the house on the market in 2015 (possibly 2016) and know that we will not get a dime extra for our upgrades. That said, prospective buyers can make positive mental check marks as they tick off the new items hopefully putting our house ahead of others that still have original equipment.

As stated by others...it should move the house quicker but not for more profit.