Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

Glass Chips

I have used the kits w/ good success. The only difference between the kits and the professional that I can see is the drilling process. I got a drill and bits online. My plan is to drill and fill myself.

Anyone have experience to share?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

Have had a couple of bruises done. Cost was $25-50. Inside of a few months, they spread anyway and I replaced the glass. IMHO, Good Glass Insurance is the best......
Old 07-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

You may want to check your insurance. Some will repair free of charge.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
You may want to check your insurance. Some will repair free of charge.
I think most of them do because it's cheaper than buying new windshields.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If the chip goes through to the inner layer then the windshield needs replaced as it will continue to crack. If it is only the outer layer then usually the repair works well.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

I have insurance that will pay for chips fixed or 100% of a whole new windshield. My desire is about convenience. DIY and if I screw up get a new one from insurance.
I was in hopes someone else had some hands on experience they could share.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #7

Insurance companies in Fl are required to replace the windshield or repair at no cost to owner. I had a small crack in mine and was given the option of windshield replacement or patch, I opted for the patch and it has held up for 4 years now and it still looks good, the company that did it gives a lifetime repair. When he did the patch he drilled but also use a vacuum machine to pull the material into the crack.
I have had to have several windshields replaced over the years and it has never cost me a dime out of pocket. I guess some states require it and others do not.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #8

If you have insurance that covers that call them.

We saw the parking lot guys down the road one day and they followed us home and spent a good while filling a hand full of chips in our driveway for free.

The kits are 20 bucks or so each so why spend your money and time?

They come to where it is parked for free...best convenience there is.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

Thanks for the posts. I'm sure I can figure it out.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
EV2

The difference between amature and professional equipment is the expensive ability to inject the resin when the pro equipment has created a vacuum in the crack. This allows the repair to move into the crack void without air pressure in front of the resin pushing the crack to additional length. Amature process will work fairly well on a bullseye, but generally fails on a star type of impact.
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Where do all those insurance plans that provide 'no cost to the owner' repair/replacement get the money to pay for those services?

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I just called my Insurance company today and windshield falls under standard deductible. So I will need to pay for the rock chip repair we have presently. Could possibly do it myself since it is small but hate to make it look worse.

Steve
Old 07-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I just called my Insurance company today and windshield falls under standard deductible. So I will need to pay for the rock chip repair we have presently. Could possibly do it myself since it is small but hate to make it look worse.

Steve
Steve, did they tell you it came under your comprehensive coverage? I am assuming a flying rock did the damage... I have a $50 deductible for comprehensive and $500 for collision. Insurance companies would have you believe you had a collision at times....

I had a "pro" fix a chip in my windshield and at first I didn't think he had done anything. $40 wasted. When I was in the big city I had a guy from Safe Lite look at it. He said it was the worst job he ever saw, but once the "pro" did what ever he did it could not be redone. Lesson learned. Next time I will go where the real pros are.
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #14

I once attempted a DIY chip repair and not only did it fail, the windshield cracked all the way from bottom to top. When I had the windshield replaced, on my dime, the auto glass company said my auto insurance would not pay because the DIY repair was obviously crude and failed to prevent the long cracks.

The major difference between a professional auto glass co. chip repair and a DIY repair is the vacuum machine used prior to injecting the repair compound, and the device not allowing any loss of vacuum while injecting the repair compound.
If someone like SafeLite does the repair it's guaranteed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote