Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Glossary of terms & abbreviations?

Is there anywhere I can find a glossary of terms & abbreviations commonly used on this site or relevant to RVing in general? And if not, what would be the chances of starting one for myself and all the new members to come?

I've been able to figure out a lot of the terms and abbreviations used here, and have been able to use Google on a few more, but there are some that still elude me.

For example: I was able to figure out MH, TT, 5er, Toad and some others easily enough.

I also now know what it means for a tire to "river" (thanks Google) but still don't know what it means for a tire to "zipper."

What's a Boomer? In my working life, a Boomer was one who travelled around following the work (mostly big jobs with lots of overtime). How is the term applied in the world of RVing?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Boomer... as in "BABY BOOMER".

Zipper is a a circumferential rupture in the mid sidewall of a steel cord radial tire.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, Kevin. Bit by bit, I'm learning.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Me too Big Dan... it's a good post. I am often perplexed myself.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by namwob View Post
Me too Big Dan... it's a good post. I am often perplexed myself.
All too often we fail to remember each of us has our own background. I worked in electronics and law for 50 years. Interesting to not how 2-4 letter shortcuts cross fields. DNS = Distant Network Service and Domain Name Server. So, when posting we should add a bit more info than normal to help our newbies.

Another point I would like to make is that people post a problem but do NOT provide the type (make/model/year) of RV, the make/model of the part in question if needed, etc.

JMHO

Dean

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There is an excellent Glossary at this location:

http://tinyurl.com/ykbjcdw
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Never heard of a river relating to a tire. But a zipper blow out is when you have the tire come open along the edge of the thread just like it had a zipper there.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
What's a Boomer? In my working life, a Boomer was one who travelled around following the work (mostly big jobs with lots of overtime). How is the term applied in the world of RVing?

The United States Census Bureau considers a baby boomer to be someone born during the demographic birth boom between 1946 and 1964

I generally just enter the term into a web search. Usually wikipedia has the answer
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote