Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Glue to use? Delamination

Hi

Just below the fresh water filler cap housing is a 3 by 5 inch delamination.

I hope to remove exterior filler cap housing and apply glue in there to re-bond the covering to hardboard of exterior wall.

Is liquid contact cement the way to go?

Inside wall of MH has no water stains. Don't know how that
happened. Maybe it was there when I bought the MH.

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are one part construction adhesives that work but the 3m two part automotive panel stuff is bullet proof, it does require a small two part claulking gun that is expensive.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #3

Contact cement would be very difficult to work with in tight quarters. Contact means just that, the two pieces to be joined are kept apart until the glue is totally dry. Then the parts are placed together, there is no room for error, no sliding the pieces around etc. The 3m stuff would be a good bet. You'll need to think of how you are going to clamp the repair until everything sets up.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #4

Whatever glue is used must be compatible with the construction materials in the wall or the problem is made worse. This is one method for delamination repair.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #5

Gorilla Glue then insure that the press you make stays in place for 24 hrs to insure bonding
Old 09-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #6

I used the Great Stuff MINIMAL expanding foam for a small spot - its yellow. Anyone who has used it knows how good it sticks to your hands when using and how difficult it is to remove.

I sprayed it on a notched trowel smeared it on one side and clamped the surfaces. Once the stuff is knocked down with the trowel it becomes really sticky and even more minimal expanding. It moisture cures and the foam action filled in small non-contact areas resulting in a very uniform bond. It worked GREAT and dries super fast

Good Luck!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Saw a set up where the guy parked the RV relatively close to a brick wall ( a tree might work for a small delam) After injecting glue into the bubble, he then used a 2x4 and a 1x8 to press the delam flat. The 1x8 was the length of the bubble and placed flat on the RV wall. The 2x4 was cut a little longer than the distance between the wall of the RV and brick wall. He then tapped the 2x4 into place jamming it between the two causing the bubble to depress and stay that way until the glue dried. I cannot say whether or not it worked or not, hope it did because the guy really worked hard to figure it all out.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #8

I suggest you buy a small can of EPOXY (2 part-resin & hardener). Pour out the amount you need ( actually a little more than you need), add the correct ratio of hardener and mix by stirring until the mix is blended COMPLETELY. Either brush the mix down into the inner surfaces to be bonded or carefully pour some down into the area of the delamination. Clamp together securely and leave it to cure for 24 hours. As stated above, figure out how you are going to clamp/put pressure on the area to compress the two delaminated surfaces together in advance.
Epoxy is actually used in the manufacturing process of fiberglass sheets so it just makes sense that it is a very desirable "glue" to use to repair your wall. Don't get messy as epoxy hardens quickly and is very difficult to wipe off or remove from areas where it's not wanted.

PS= read the directions carefully to understand the ratio of epoxy to hardener as well as the time the mix takes to set up ( it will be fairly a short period of time). GOOD LUCK!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick w View Post
Hi

Just below the fresh water filler cap housing is a 3 by 5 inch delamination.

I hope to remove exterior filler cap housing and apply glue in there to re-bond the covering to hardboard of exterior wall.

Is liquid contact cement the way to go?

Inside wall of MH has no water stains. Don't know how that
happened. Maybe it was there when I bought the MH.

Thanks in advance
If it's like mine, the Wizz Kids at Winnebago had the roof draining-dripping-soaking right on top of the exterior fresh water fill on the side of the rig. Again, if it's like the problem I had and it's the hatch with the key lock, you need to fix that first or everything will get wet again as water runs off the roof, landing squarely on the hatch. I sealed the interior along with drilling a pattern of drain hole to let any water that finds it's way in, find it's way out.
I believe that the water would slowly enter around the hatch, fill the void, and having nowhere to go- starts running down the inside of the wall.
Poor design...Good luck.
SS
Sightseer 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Thanks for all the impute concerning delamination, use of
glue, and procedure for repair.

I hope to get this done before the weather turns too bad.

THANKS A MILLION