Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #29
Originally Posted by kchadw1944 View Post
I had recently switched over to GMAC through Good Sam's....My wife talked with the nice lady and got everything insured including MH and both cars ( one is a toad ). This was back about the first part of May..
Well, we headed out for our trip from Fl. to Northern NH with stops in Va. Pa., and a few others along the way pulling the toad behind...
With recommendations from here, had my mail forwarded by my daughter ( via priority mail ) to our seasonal address ( three day service ).

I just yesterday received a check in the mail from GMAC..found out my insurance was cancelled back on the 7th of May...Why ? Because the payment, which my wife had give over the phone with a credit card, was $1.97 short...GMAC says, we sent a certified notice..NOPE...I checked with our mail lady..( close friend ) never delivered a cert. mail since we've been gone...no signature with GMAC either...Sooo, they just cancelled the insurance...no notification...no phone call, no email...although they strongly push " Paperless " billing. Even giving a discount if you do..but they don't use email or ( I guess ) the telephone.. All this info was asked for in the application..and they sure do use it for advertising...

Needless to say, after finding out I've recently traveled over 2000 miles without insurance, I was rather upset....Never again will I go with GMAC for anything...Nor will I take Good Sam's recommendations without checking on here and other places...very, very poor business. I have documented everything and plan to notify the Fl. insurance commissioner about not receiving any certified mail...for the cancellation....can you believe it....???? $1.97 off on the payment...and my wife, paid with the CC over the phone to the GMAC person...exactly what she said she needed to start the policy.....
You need to go online and make sure your Drivers License has not been revoked!!!

I was insured with State Farm for 17 years. Paid off my 6 month premium. Always track my banking online - check was deposited and cleared. 3 months later I am notified my Driver's license is revoked for non-payment of insurance.

After several very angry phone calls, was informed by a supervisor that yes, they HAD deposited the check, but there was a fee (about $7) that I had not been informed of, so the check was not for the correct amount. Do they return the check? No, they deposit it, then send me a refund check, cancelling coverage until I send ANOTHER check for the corrected amount. I stated I never received their check, and she confirmed that their records showed it had not been cashed. Not their problem. Still not insured, and they notified the State. I said why not a phone call after 17 years of business, or at least a second notice. Too bad, so sad.

Cost me $275 to reinstate my drivers license, and my insurance, with a different company, went up 40%.

If you are in a mail forwarding situation, you might get caught in that cycle since you said the car had been included, and you were uninsured.

Kathryn . . . still lurking and learning!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #30
Forest River Owners Club
RV America

Anyone using RV America for their MH insurance? It seems that I am finding them less expensive than the others.

Chillbilly - Maryville, TN - Forest River Rockwood 5th Wheel - Ford F250 - Semper-Fi
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #31
Thinking about going with AARP RV insurance through The Hartford. Anyone have any experience with these folks. I have had State Farm for a long time with no problems at all.
jetfromtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #32
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the OP: Since you're a Good Sam member, go to RV.Net and complain about your problem w/ GMAC to Mr. Melonis. I did for a minor problem and it was taken care of right away. I also have GMAC but I doubt I'll renew with them.
2007 NRV Dolphin LX 6355 W24
2006 Jeep Liberty 4X4 LE
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #33
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sell insurance in the state of WA. Insurance regulations vary from state to state. Different companies AND different states have different regulations to how storage works.. Generally if you only use the vehicle part time vs on road regularly, you can put it in storage with a comprehension coverage only. SOME banks will accept that and SOME will not it is up to the lender so check with them first.

The company I work with will give you a prorated rate while in storage and only charge for those dates you need full coverage. You're not sent a refund check in My state, instead you're usually given an account credit, so if you store it say 3 ms and drive it 2 wks and put it back in storage you'll be charged for those days you had full coverage at one rate and the time it was in storage at another (but different states have different regulations!!).

I am honest with people I talk to regarding insurance, always comparison shop with more than 2 companies and always check your state's insurance commission to see how many negative complaints have been filed and then weigh your options from there.

Insurance is one of those things we don't love to pay out on and we hope we never ever need to make a claim but after having a house fire in Feb and getting my house fixed back to 'normal' and knowing how much that all has come to I'm VERY glad we have good insurance

I hope none of you need never find that out for yourselves!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]TheDogNPonyShow - Bellingham WA USA
Road Home of BlackFyre Arabians & Belgian Shepherds
"Love what you do, Do what you LOVE!"

2006 Four Winds 28A, Ford V10, E450 Toad 2000 Geo Tracker.
DogNPonyshow is online now   Reply With Quote