Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Going From Class A to TT

We no longer need a Class A and would like to return to a TT. Reason being medical status has be cured and we don't require a Motorhome Truck and Jeep toad.

We want to do this just to simplify our life. My wife has been cured of a medical condition that took her from years in a wheel chair to a normal life. Believe me there is a God.

After looking on the internet I almost don't want to hit the dealerships as the new TT's in the 35ft range just don't measure up.

Need help here and your comments are most welcome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Not sure what you mean by "dont measure up"
I think there are many TT with great floor plans.
I went TT because of cost and the ability to have a toy hauler.
I like to un-hook and use the TV to explore also.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry i should have explained.
I want quality and i dont see it the new models.
Can somebody suggest a quality model that isnt dark inside . Not interested in a toy hauler.
Wood like oak or maple. Not particle board.
Lots of storage. A genset.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #4

I don't think you'll find the quality in travel trailers like you would find in motorhomes but here is someone's opinion:

10 TOP Travel Trailers - RV Lifestyle Magazine

I think travel trailers are geared for more entry level RVing. Good luck in your search.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't think you'll find the quality in travel trailers like you would find in motorhomes but here is someone's opinion:

10 TOP Travel Trailers - RV Lifestyle Magazine

I think travel trailers are geared for more entry level RVing. Good luck in your search.
I believe your right. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't recommend any specific TTs, as it's been years since we owned one. But I do question why you feel a TT would be simpler than a motorhome. The main reason we went to our current motorhome from a TT was simplicity, no more hitching and unhitching, dealing with levelers and stabilizers, better insulation, better build quality. Now granted, we do hook/unhook our toad but it my mind that's a lot easier than dealing with hitches, equalizer bars, sway control, and crank down jacks.
Perhaps a smaller class c would be something to look into.
Just my opinion, for what it's worth.....
And congratulations on your wife's quality of life improvement!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I can't recommend any specific TTs, as it's been years since we owned one. But I do question why you feel a TT would be simpler than a motorhome. The main reason we went to our current motorhome from a TT was simplicity, no more hitching and unhitching, dealing with levelers and stabilizers, better insulation, better build quality. Now granted, we do hook/unhook our toad but it my mind that's a lot easier than dealing with hitches, equalizer bars, sway control, and crank down jacks.
^^^X2

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I hear you loud and clear. I just wanted to get away from 3 vehicles. 3 power trains and insurance and maintence. We now live in condo and it is a bit of a hassel.

But i just returned from 3 RV dealers and looked at about twenty trailers and believe me i have put this to bed. I don't want to offend TT owners but they dont offer the luxury or comfort our class A has.

I am going to downsize by one vehicle. I will upgrade the jeep to something more comfortable and sell the truck as we really don't use it.
The class A stays.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #9

I was hoping for a sensible solution. Sounds like you can now hit the road running. Good luck.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Sorry i should have explained.
I want quality and i dont see it the new models.
Can somebody suggest a quality model that isnt dark inside . Not interested in a toy hauler.
Wood like oak or maple. Not particle board.
Lots of storage. A genset.
We chose airstream for this very reason. Wrap around windows, solid inside.

I chose a blue ox hitch, which is not greasy and I can hitch it in 3 minutes flat.

I chose Anderson levelers because I can level side to side in 10 seconds.

No built in gen set , no slides. No lots of storage.

Maybe check out the outdoor rv, or a north wood Nash, jayco eagle, crossroads or grand design.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe even the winnie instinct
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 10-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #12

I have always looked at travel trailers as a cheap way or entry level way into camping, they can't be built to really high quality standards due to weight, they would just weigh to much which would severely limit possible buyers.

Airstream as stated above are among the nicest but you loose the slide outs and all that modern stuff

5th wheels are your best bet if you want slides, gen, quality etc... but they can get quite expensive. So depending on your truck that might be a option.

That being said I think your making a good decision staying with a class A
Old 10-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
I have always looked at travel trailers as a cheap way or entry level way into camping, they can't be built to really high quality standards due to weight, they would just weigh to much which would severely limit possible buyers.

Airstream as stated above are among the nicest but you loose the slide outs and all that modern stuff

5th wheels are your best bet if you want slides, gen, quality etc... but they can get quite expensive. So depending on your truck that might be a option.

That being said I think your making a good decision staying with a class A
No doubt. Most travel trailers I couldn't quite fall in love with the interiors, especially the ones without the view, and dark like mentioned.

Otoh, I'm actually very happy without the slides as I don't have to worry about maintaining them. I could happily full time in this 28 footer, but it works for our cozy lifestyle, and might not for others. Totally get that.

Now if anyone made a fifth wheel that looked like an airstream inside.... I'd give that some heavy consideration.

I missed the op post about keeping the A. Good choice sir, sorry I typed before reading all posts.
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 10-11-2016, 04:32 AM   #14

Since i am looking a lot lately, the web sites recommended here, and brochures, mention optional Light oak or maple options, but the seem to get sold first, leaving all the dark ones at the shows. I am looking for used, and one dealer last week told me would wholesale a clean 09 because of company policy. At only ten grand more than another dealer had one identical listed.

Tags
class a