Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah2
You can't live your life paralyzed by "what ifs". You have to be smart, aware and prepare for things that might change but willing to take risks at the same time. Most full timers make themselves aware of the risks and changes but go forward with the adventures in life.
I don't want to be in my last moments in life and say "I wish I had.....".
I could not agree more. However - you can and many do let what ifs leave them in an emotional fetal position afraid to venture anything and dissatisfied with return on their lack of investment. Here, here to not going out mumbling about and regretting what could have been.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by M zoll View Post
after all that, you usually DIE, we all have to face that some day.
Yup
Old 11-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
Who is looking forward to going full time and what have you done so far to get there? When will you go? What RV do you plan to live in?
I am pleased with the many responses my post has received, particularly those that answered the questions what when & where. The advice from others is always appreciated but not always heeded. I am going full time RV as my exit strategy from the work/mortgage rut. Eventually I will not be able to do the job I am doing which will mean I won't be able to afford the life I am living. I have found a way to go full time without debt. We have gone through more change than most people are accustomed to and survived. We have owned six houses, three in MA, and three in VA. I have been laid off three times, fired once and a few others I just plain quit. We drained several 401Ks when hard times hit and lost everything a time or two. Some may say I am the problem with America today, I call myself a survivor and I know others feel the same way too. Ashes to Ashes & dust to dust, we had nothing when we started and we will have nothing when we are all done. Getting there, the journey, is the thing.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
I agree about the journey, this past year we had to put my mom in assisted living (she is 72) and she tells me about this couple in their 80's that talk about all their RV adventures and travels- I want those memories and adventure, trials and all that go along with it.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
I agree about the journey, this past year we had to put my mom in assisted living (she is 72) and she tells me about this couple in their 80's that talk about all their RV adventures and travels- I want those memories and adventure, trials and all that go along with it.
Amen
Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Retiring August 1. Have purchased as seen in my signature. Right now the MH is in storage, but I will likely move in to it at a local park in April and put the house up for sale. Heading west in the fall. Plans? Go where and when the spirit moves me!
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
We are in the planning stages to go full time at some point next year. So I'm no expert in the the ways of full timing but have given it much thought and come to some concussions related to your points that the OP may find helpful.

First, I have to say nothing is a "permanent thing" with the possible exceptions of death and taxes. Second, after researching the full time lifestyle on this forum and other places and pushing numbers around in Excel for countless hours, I cannot prove your contention that the money will go any faster full timing than continuing to live in a S&B. Third, the anecdotal evidence indicates that going full time improves you health and outlook in the short to medium run but no one "beats the reaper".

Concerning the "then what", having lost parents, grandparents, and friends, I have seen too many times what happens when folks refuse to change their living arrangements to a retirement community or assisted living. They become stuck and are sometimes forced to make the move or simply pass away leaving a 60 or 70 year mess for their loved ones to deal with. It's especially sad when someone is basically forced by poor health to make that move. Also sad is to have to toss a waist high pile of things in the trash or donate to charity because nobody wants these treasures, or to see family members squabble over baubles that could have been dealt with years ago.

Going full time has it challenges but your cautionary words will be faced by all eventually. Going through the thought process and executing a full time plan advances many of those decisions and gets them out of your way and families hair early. Basically a sound plan to full time includes facing your mortality early, and that's a blessing for you and your family.

As others have said, the exit plan is a key ingredient in going full time, but just as much so as staying in the S&B. For us, we plan to follow the weather which will take us to many areas known for their "retirement friendly" weather, community, and financial characteristics. As we travel around we will look for the right place to finally settle down. We won't make visiting retirement or assisted living communities a part of our sightseeing, but we will have a better idea of where we would really like to settle down and research those options as we go. We know it isn't where we live now, but for us, clearing the decks and going to look just makes too much sense not to give er a go.

And a final thought on money. If you have a motorhome you have maintenance expense anyway. Using a motorhome is better for it than not. So going full time doesn't impact that as best I can tell, other than in a positive manner. Owning a home outright isn't free either. So I suspect that's pretty much a wash, at least my spreadsheet suggested as much.

As part of our 5 year plan to full time - we cleared the decks - moved to a transition apartment - and will not leave until the Motorhome and toad are paid for. We are protecting our savings by working until that's completed. We have no other debt and that puts us in the right frame of mind for the journey. We will have no financial concerns and the money won't run out. This doesn't occur on it's own and takes commitment and planning.

My advice to anyone considering going full time is plan your work and work your plan. Start the plan early enough to get you out there as soon as you can. The closer you get the better it looks and the harder it is to resist going right now, especially when your full timer friends are encouraging you to join them now. Be strong grasshopper - stick to your plan. Ignore both the naysayer and those encouraging you to abandon the plan and start before you are ready. You will be the one to live with your decisions, and your plan is there to guide you. The input of the others should be considered and accounted for in your plan. But it's your journey, your plan, and your life. Make the most of it and the journey will be your destination.
Steve and Annie
Smart plan to be free from debt and plan your budget 5 years ahead to help you control your expences and not spend down your principle investments.

2016 F150 Bronze Super Crew Cab 4X4
BigmoneySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Honestly, I think living in a RV is less work than a home when one retires. Both require work. The only other factor I can think of is driving. We have a friend who until recently were Snow Birds in their MH. Both in their 80's until the passing of the DW.
Our plans are to FT this October for sure! Started down sizing last spring already. We are still in the process of selling larger ticket items like cars. We have renters already planning moving in this summer so we are well on our way.
For the other part of the post.... We have a 37' King of the Road Royal Villa. Quad Slide. Absolutely love it!
Grateful to all the folks here at irv2 who provided us great information in this planning stage. Good advice we have taken!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #23

We are in the process of packing up our must keep belongings and will be full timing in a 38ft fifth wheel trailer in about a week. DW's father is still alive and well and I promised her we would stay close to Texas for as long as he is. So we are pre paid into a local RV Resort and very much looking forward to this new adventure. DW's parents full timed for 12 years before their health forced them off the road.
Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #24

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
Full timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
We are in the planning stages to go full time at some point next year. So I'm no expert in the the ways of full timing but have given it much thought and come to some concussions related to your points that the OP may find helpful.

First, I have to say nothing is a "permanent thing" with the possible exceptions of death and taxes. Second, after researching the full time lifestyle on this forum and other places and pushing numbers around in Excel for countless hours, I cannot prove your contention that the money will go any faster full timing than continuing to live in a S&B. Third, the anecdotal evidence indicates that going full time improves you health and outlook in the short to medium run but no one "beats the reaper".

Concerning the "then what", having lost parents, grandparents, and friends, I have seen too many times what happens when folks refuse to change their living arrangements to a retirement community or assisted living. They become stuck and are sometimes forced to make the move or simply pass away leaving a 60 or 70 year mess for their loved ones to deal with. It's especially sad when someone is basically forced by poor health to make that move. Also sad is to have to toss a waist high pile of things in the trash or donate to charity because nobody wants these treasures, or to see family members squabble over baubles that could have been dealt with years ago.

Going full time has it challenges but your cautionary words will be faced by all eventually. Going through the thought process and executing a full time plan advances many of those decisions and gets them out of your way and families hair early. Basically a sound plan to full time includes facing your mortality early, and that's a blessing for you and your family.

As others have said, the exit plan is a key ingredient in going full time, but just as much so as staying in the S&B. For us, we plan to follow the weather which will take us to many areas known for their "retirement friendly" weather, community, and financial characteristics. As we travel around we will look for the right place to finally settle down. We won't make visiting retirement or assisted living communities a part of our sightseeing, but we will have a better idea of where we would really like to settle down and research those options as we go. We know it isn't where we live now, but for us, clearing the decks and going to look just makes too much sense not to give er a go.

And a final thought on money. If you have a motorhome you have maintenance expense anyway. Using a motorhome is better for it than not. So going full time doesn't impact that as best I can tell, other than in a positive manner. Owning a home outright isn't free either. So I suspect that's pretty much a wash, at least my spreadsheet suggested as much.

As part of our 5 year plan to full time - we cleared the decks - moved to a transition apartment - and will not leave until the Motorhome and toad are paid for. We are protecting our savings by working until that's completed. We have no other debt and that puts us in the right frame of mind for the journey. We will have no financial concerns and the money won't run out. This doesn't occur on it's own and takes commitment and planning.

My advice to anyone considering going full time is plan your work and work your plan. Start the plan early enough to get you out there as soon as you can. The closer you get the better it looks and the harder it is to resist going right now, especially when your full timer friends are encouraging you to join them now. Be strong grasshopper - stick to your plan. Ignore both the naysayer and those encouraging you to abandon the plan and start before you are ready. You will be the one to live with your decisions, and your plan is there to guide you. The input of the others should be considered and accounted for in your plan. But it's your journey, your plan, and your life. Make the most of it and the journey will be your destination.
Steve and Annie
Very will said great job
B&W Companion 5th wheel
M zoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #25

I retired 07-01-11. It all stRted then. Sold the S&B the May before.
Try not to plan too far ahead take too much energy. Plan a week to 10 days ahead
Where we will stay next. People ask how long we will do this. My answer is,
" till we get tired of it or kill one another"! Life is too short too wory about it.
My bride and I have worried and worked too hard to turn back now. Oh bride of
Almost 46 years.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
full timing is not a permanent thing. Eventually the money will run out, also your health will run out. Then what? No home, no money, can't drive anymore, etc. Have you given that any thought ??
Yes, thought about it. Nuthin is permanent. We have dreamed of being F/T for over 45 years. Have been roading since 04/2012.

We will be adventurers until we cannot, or until we change our minds. But we will not buy another house. If you rent, you can move!

The journey is our destination. Those that dont follow their dreams will regret not having given it a go. We hopped on the rainbow, and the view and the ride and the freedom is priceless!

When we die, the money stops coming in. Then the fairy tale also ends. Until then, watch out world!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

Yes, thought about it. Nuthin is permanent. We have dreamed of being F/T for over 45 years. Have been roading since 04/2012.

We will be adventurers until we cannot, or until we change our minds. But we will not buy another house. If you rent, you can move!

The journey is our destination. Those that dont follow their dreams will regret not having given it a go. We hopped on the rainbow, and the view and the ride and the freedom is priceless!

When we die, the money stops coming in. Then the fairy tale also ends. Until then, watch out world!
Thank you, it is what it is.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #28

I'm retiring in two yrs we are going full time then. Today we going to look at a 36' fifth wheel. It's used but we can pay cash for it because I want to be debt free when I retire. For an exit plan if we need to come off the road for illness or the GF just can't adjust we'll buy into a mobile home park or condo.
Mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote