Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
full timing is not a permanent thing. Eventually the money will run out, also your health will run out. Then what? No home, no money, can't drive anymore, etc. Have you given that any thought ??
Your home has wheels. You find a location you like, a park that will allow you to settle in & you just stay. It's still your home.

Till the money runs out sounds like a vacation rather than a change in lifestyle.

becida is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #30

Quote:
and will not leave until the Motorhome and toad are paid for. We are protecting our savings by working until that's completed
I agree this "sounds" like good financial advice. But I would urge you to begin your dream sooner than that.... I have seen too many people over the years wait for this and wait for that, and then "boom!" some health issue comes from out of nowhere and ruins their plans ! If it makes you feel better, downsize the spending in the beginning, but please begin the adventure sooner rather than later.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #31

I like the idea that the less we have the less we have to loose!

I also think our Motor Home is the half way house between everyday home owner ship that we all grew up with and the old folks home.

I also like down sizing so once I am gone my Wife doesn't have to deal with anything but packing her suit case and moving on.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1
I agree this "sounds" like good financial advice. But I would urge you to begin your dream sooner than that.... I have seen too many people over the years wait for this and wait for that, and then "boom!" some health issue comes from out of nowhere and ruins their plans ! If it makes you feel better, downsize the spending in the beginning, but please begin the adventure sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the encouragement. Have to at least wait until - Aug 1st when I hit 59.5 for fair access to my 401k. Another 3, 6, or even 9 months is not going to make too much difference. If something were to happen - I suspect I would be happy I had those months on the road - but it wouldn't be a vast difference in life given the quick exit that would be required.

A couple years ago when we made the 5 year plan I considered setting up the 5 year Substantially Equal Payment plan with the IRS so I could access the 401k before 59.5 without penalty. As I thought more about it I realized that wasn't the best use of my money - or right for us. Since then I have increased my contributions, adjusted my portfolio and am glad I did. I think in this day and age, being able to retire debt free, a year or two before SS kicks in, with the added 5 years or so of investment is right for us. There are no guarantees where health is concerned, or much else for that matter. So going to stick to the plan and when it's right, we will be off and slow rolling our way down the highway.

Best wishes and good luck to everyone planning to cut the ties that bind and I salute all of you who are out there now!
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
instead of full time my wife and I are going out 6 months or more keeping the house

2016 F150 Bronze Super Crew Cab 4X4
BigmoneySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Here is our plan. We bought a 2003 used Tiffin Phaeton and drove to Florida and lived in it for 7 weeks last winter prior to retirement. We loved it! We have made a couple other small journeys this year and we lived in the Phaeton again for a month when we sold our home in June 2013. After selling our home we put some money down on a new home with a beautiful in- law suite and moved in with our son and his family of four. we have 2 grandchildren 5 and 8 and we are enjoying them so much.We will leave for Florida as soon as we all celebrate Christmas and travel around the state looking for great places to stay. We probably won't come back to Indiana until mid April or maybe May. Then we will stay for the summer and enjoy the kids,garden,golf,whatever until August and we plan on a trip to Yellowstone and points west for several months returning once again to Indiana in November.
Our son will take care of all the home maintenance and we will be free to come and go whenever we feel like it. He still just sell his home and then he will take over the mortgage on the new home we have together.
When we can no longer travel or no longer want to travel we will have a nice place to live. Things always change but that is what life is all about. We have the desire to upgrade our Phaeton to a newer model and see the entire United States.
Our oldest son who is single is outfitting our 2013 Ford Cmax to tow 4 down this week and we should be all set to go Motorhoming soon!
See you all down the road!

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in the very beginning stage of talking it over with my wife. She enjoys the motorhome and seems receptive to the idea of FT when we retire. We have a long way to go. The kids are still in high school and wouldn't consider it until they are done with college. I'm only 48 but we don't owe anybody anything other than our mortgage so I guess we're ahead of the game there. my plan is to get the kids through school and hopefully out on their own and stable. Once thats done its a matter of deciding when we have enough money to go. My thought is to whittle down the possessions to the "must keeps" and put those in storage. We will then sell the house and hit the road. I will then spend however many years exploring this country and looking for a place to retire. We may stay full time or when we find the right place, buy a home. No plan. I figure when we are no longer able to continue FT or decide we've had enough, we will hopefully know what part of the country we like the best and settle back down. I think it makes the exit plan much easier as we will not have a house to sell, no moving and no things to sell and pack. just a house to buy and a motorhome to park in the driveway. I wish it wasn't 15 years away!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I'm in the very beginning stage of talking it over with my wife. She enjoys the motorhome and seems receptive to the idea of FT when we retire. We have a long way to go. The kids are still in high school and wouldn't consider it until they are done with college. I'm only 48 but we don't owe anybody anything other than our mortgage so I guess we're ahead of the game there. my plan is to get the kids through school and hopefully out on their own and stable. Once thats done its a matter of deciding when we have enough money to go. My thought is to whittle down the possessions to the "must keeps" and put those in storage. We will then sell the house and hit the road. I will then spend however many years exploring this country and looking for a place to retire. We may stay full time or when we find the right place, buy a home. No plan. I figure when we are no longer able to continue FT or decide we've had enough, we will hopefully know what part of the country we like the best and settle back down. I think it makes the exit plan much easier as we will not have a house to sell, no moving and no things to sell and pack. just a house to buy and a motorhome to park in the driveway. I wish it wasn't 15 years away!
MOJORacing, I envy your confidence in managing the future, my experience leaves me skeptical. In the last fifteen years I haved lived in three different houses in two different states and had four different jobs two of which evaporated due to plant closings.The fourth one I have now and have bee here for ten years. All of us that plan fulltime or are fulltime go there for different reasons and with varying amounts of resources. I hope you are able to see your plan through to fruition, enjoy the good life you have now.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
I might add that we too will access our 401's @ 59.5 BUT who knows might do some seasonal PT work as we FT.

Ok presently but if the economy is stable and we continue to stay within budget will determine that. Also presently changing things like cell phone plans, we went from DTV to over air antenna. That type of stuff in order to cut more costs.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #38

Dakrism. That is the way to go. I want to be a "part time full timer" too. I want to have a home to come "home" to, yet travel around this great country. My "condo" has wheels, and I don't want to sit in one place all winter long. Life is too short to "stay put". So far i have been to all 48 connected states, half the national parks/monuments, and civil war sites. Still have the other half to see...
Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We too have had our ups and downs. In the last 25 years ive had over ten jobs, 3 houses and 3 rv's. we have struggled and been down to our last dollar but have always made it through. Maturity and wise decisions have moved us forward and put us in pretty good shape. Your right, things can change quickly but planning ahead smooths out the road.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
Retiring August 1. Have purchased as seen in my signature. Right now the MH is in storage, but I will likely move in to it at a local park in April and put the house up for sale. Heading west in the fall. Plans? Go where and when the spirit moves me!
That is pretty close to our time line. Moved into the MH in May, house finally sold in August, We hit the retirement road Nov 27th.

During this transition we had a few garage sales, friends sales, friends give aways, small storage for odds and ends we were still figuring out what to do with and getting the MH in shape. Emptied the storage in August. Getting the MH (and us) up to specs included a week of owner's training at the Spartan factory and getting it thoroughly inspected by them. Later we upgraded the satellite dish, replaced the Norcold with a Samsung and added stacked washer/dryer. Finally we set up the Honda CRV we bought the day after Christmas specifically to be our toad and out coach with the Air Force One brake system and Blue Ox towing equipment.

OH...one other HUGE step was establishing our South Dakota domicile back in late August. That included mail forwarding, vehicle registration changes, voter registration and we now have passports based on that.

Lots of other piddling around including practicing how the load the basement the most efficient way possible, minor tweaks and fixes. We even had time for some fun trips during the summer to help us get more comfortable with all of its systems.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Follow up - Are we ready?

I do want to echo some other sentiments about when to make that transition. If the transition includes actively working but substituting an RV for S&B I think that is generally a wash if done well.

The big transition is from working to retirement. Like Steve (Flaggship1) did I have spent 2 years pouring over Quicken and spreadsheets. Since Sandee and I are both defined benefits pensions (IL State and Federal) we don't have to worry about getting into our principle savings like many of you. That gives us a pretty solid stream and our biggest decision was about when our benefits would be enough to maintain a living standard we chose to embark on.

It does entail a great deal of making assumptions on how we well live and spend money once we hit the road. We created budgets, tossed in fudge factors and such. Still...only living the FT life style will prove if our plans were sufficient enough. We think so but time will tell. We certainly have room to make adjustments. Those will mostly center around miles per year and length of stay.

We know we won't normally stay in high end resorts...not in our budget. But, we do know our life style won't require Walmart parking to make it doable.

In the final analysis, we know we don't want to die without reaching for the brass ring. Government employees are becoming "the enemy" to politicians and the whip saw it creates is getting more than I want to take. 2 years ago I had weight loss surgery and life is going soooo damn well that I really just want to live it instead of sitting behind a desk. Sandee is only 3 months away from maxing our her retirement formula. My benefits will be great...

AWAY WE GO!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #42

Hard to argue against good planning, but before any FT wannabes are overwhelmed or intimidated by all the pre-launch logistics of hitting the road....I thought I'd let you know that we just wrapped-up 2.5yrs of FTing and we did virtually NO planning....in fact our motto was "we have no plan and we're sticking to it!"

We engaged a property manager/ rental agent for our home in Cabo (MX) and promptly left town to drive 1000 miles to Los Angeles so my wife could have a full knee replacement. On the day of her operation we got a call that the House was rented and we had 6 wks to vacate.

With my wife in the hospital I found a MH on the Internet from a private seller in LA and I drove out and bought it. We had the Seller drive it to an RV shop for some optional add-ons ( satellite TV, etc). Got the wife outta the Hospital and drove 1000 miles back to Cabo for the dog beds, golf clubs & bikes...back in the car for another 1000 miles back to LA. First time I actually drove the 60'MH & toad was when the RV shop got our tow hitch & lights attached and it was 4:30 rush hour traffic through LA to Manhattan Beach (Dockweiller State Park). From LA we drove another 1500miles back to Canada for importation, insurance, registration & air-brake certification....and 30mo. of "on-the-fly" planning!

Maybe not the preferred approach to FT, but we sure as heck didn't over think it!

We also found that RVing was actually more expensive than living in a House. The MH was more expensive to insure, license and maintain ( not to mention fuel) than a second car....pay as you go golf & yoga is more expensive than a yearly membership ....international health insurance was outrageously expensive...and we used CGs rather than free camping. Once we include "things" for the MH like new tires, batteries, Sat. Dish, surge protector & repairs ( albeit very few & minor) & the biggie - Depreciation...it was a pretty costly 2.5 yrs.....

But the experience was priceless!

Once we lost the thrill of the RVing road, we didn't have any special exit plan either....just found an area we liked and then found a House...not real complicated or necessary to over think or plan.

Nothing in life is forever or can't be changed and every problem has a solution ....so if FT is something you want to do ....don't let "analysis / paralysis" take control....worked for us.

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote