Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
... our motto was "we have no plan and we're sticking to it!"...
Sometimes as Sandee and I talk about the next few months I think we are closer to that than I want to admit. LOL

Great points you have made there. I didn't know you started out of MX. Cool. Did you go back there?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see it the same as jack1234. No difference. Im paying to live either way. When and if we lose the need to wander, we will settle down. Simple as that. I think there is way too much thought put into it. The big thing is, are you ready financially to retire. If your not then its going to be a tough road either way. If the retirement money is there, drive out to SD, get your address, sell the house and hit the road.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had my fill with traveling at the demand of superiors or the "job". Now its my turn. We have a retirement plan. We have a full military pension, both have state pension, and Social Security(?). It's time we lived life as we want to. On our own terms!. We are selling our S&B home and hitting the road in a 2013 HR Ambassador DP and expect not to partake in handouts but to pay our way either in Workkamping or hosting or even as participants in the Great American pastime of "Camping" at whichever venue appears on the horizon. We've payed our way during the past years during which we worked for the "man". But, now its our turn. We want to travel, see the sights, explore our pasts, see where we came from! No one owes us anything. We travel to become part of our pasts, to know where we came from, to know where we are going, to know where we are. I look forward to being "on the road", to explore new horizons, to know new adventures. To be a part of the great American adventure.
BJLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Planning our move to full time rv living brings DW and I much closer together than we have been in years. A common goal and a shared dream have us agreeing more & more on what is important to us. We have weekly meetings over a cocktail to set todo goals for the upcoming week and review what has been done to date. I look forward every week to our next planning session. There is a lot to do, getting rid of stuff being the biggest to do right now but still have other S&B or MH chores/projects on our list. The responses to this thread are inspiring and thought provoking. Everyone has a different approach to getting on the road which is as it should be. I feel alive.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
full timing is not a permanent thing. Eventually the money will run out, also your health will run out. Then what? No home, no money, can't drive anymore, etc. Have you given that any thought ??
At that point many fulltimers find a permanent site near whatever family they have left and stay put. Or they find a place like Golden Pond in Belleview Fl and remain there until they die. Or they sell their rig for whatever they can get for it and move into a tiny apartment...

But everyone who goes fulltime, in my opinion, should have a plan for when that day comes.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #48

This has been a real interesting thread and I found myself wanting to make two comments about things I saw on the last page (I'm guessing about the page part).

Listing depreciation as a cost of full timing? Man, I thought the RV was a vehicle & your home, not a stock, bond or gold bar type investment.
Too each his own..

Another person talked about a military pension and social security then mentioned not taking "handouts" but to pay their way by working.
I probably misunderstood that but the Military pension & SS were both hard won and they are not handouts ....

I found I like workcamping if the 'job' is fun but I think next fall I'm going to do more goofing off/traveling & less workcamping than I did this year. This was our first year.

My last thought thru all of this is something I've seen on a lot of fulltimer blogs, & sadly in real life.
Life is short, when the sand runs out of the hour glass it's gone. If you are happy doing what you do then GREAT! Keep at it, happy is good.
If you are waiting until tomorrow to do what you really want to do...
Today is tomorrow, really, it is.
becida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Planning to go full time in two years

2016 F150 Bronze Super Crew Cab 4X4
BigmoneySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
full timing is not a permanent thing. Eventually the money will run out, also your health will run out. Then what? No home, no money, can't drive anymore, etc. Have you given that any thought ??
So the money isn't going to run out if you stay off the road??? Don't know about you but our cost of living is no more than living in a stick house. That's no reason to set and wait for the reapper . Your health is going to run out whether you are on the road or setting around the house although we think being active and outdoors, hiking, fishing, seeing the country along with clean clear air will give us a longer life. IMHO of course.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by becida
This has been a real interesting thread and I found myself wanting to make two comments about things I saw on the last page (I'm guessing about the page part). Listing depreciation as a cost of full timing? Man, I thought the RV was a vehicle & your home, not a stock, bond or gold bar type investment. Too each his own.

I think to be fair "everything" where $$ leaves your bank account has to be listing as a "cost" .....whether you choose to call it a cost of full timing or a cost of living. In our experience our cost of living was more or less the same whether we were in the MH or living in a S&B. The only difference was moving from an appreciating "shelter" asset (S&B) to a depreciating "shelter" asset (RV). Regardless, it's a lifestyle decision & no big deal as long as you don't ignore it in your planning /decision making process for going FT.

Even though we purchased a 6yr old RV the depreciation was still the largest single "cost" associated with 30mo. of FTing @ $1000 p/mo. and it represented approx. 15% of our monthly expenses. On the other hand, the rental revenue from our S&B far exceeded the RV depreciation and the asset value of the S&B appreciated during our travels. In other words...for us...our S&B rental income ( even after taxes & expenses) funded a very large % of our FT-RVing adventure and we didn't loose ground to a rapidly appreciating housing market. Keeping one's S&B is not the correct decision for everyone as it may make better sense to have the $$ from your house "invested" in those stocks, bonds or gold bars. To each his own....as you say.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only way I can think of to avoid RV depreciation is to not own an RV. Whether full time, vacation camper, or snowbird - an RV will depreciate at roughly the same rate. The highest and best use of RV is to use it. The more you use it, the more adventure and experiences the depreciation is taken against, and so it goes. The asset may depreciate - but memories and life experiences are the intangible assets depreciation expense is written against. A zero sum game, a complete loss, or a huge windfall - all in how you look at it. If depreciation is a issue for you - get rid of your RV right now and stop the losses. Better still - use it as much as possible and build the intangibles account so high depreciation isn't a factor. Simple as that for me.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
The only difference was moving from an appreciating "shelter" asset (S&B) to a depreciating "shelter" asset (RV).
I'm sorry, I just have visions of some guy walking on the beach amid palm trees, gentle breezes, the sounds of the waves rolling on the sea shell covered beaches worrying that his house with wheels is costing him money thru depreciation.
becida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by becida View Post
I'm sorry, I just have visions of some guy walking on the beach amid palm trees, gentle breezes, the sounds of the waves rolling on the sea shell covered beaches worrying that his house with wheels is costing him money thru depreciation.
The only difference was moving from an appreciating "shelter" asset (S&B) to a depreciating "shelter" asset (RV). Regardless, it's a lifestyle decision & no big deal as long as you don't ignore it in your planning /decision making process for going FT.

There are many homeowners who purchased their "sticks &bricks" during the last 10 years who might disagree about the "appreciating asset" description.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

The only difference was moving from an appreciating "shelter" asset (S&B) to a depreciating "shelter" asset (RV). Regardless, it's a lifestyle decision & no big deal as long as you don't ignore it in your planning /decision making process for going FT.

There are many homeowners who purchased their "sticks &bricks" during the last 10 years who might disagree about the "appreciating asset" description.
My S&B has been a depreciating assert but I still keep living in it, can't wait to be free of I t.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #56

depreciating assert sure but my condo lost 50% of it's value over the last 4-5 years that's worse than my MH

The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote