Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Going full time?

Who is looking forward to going full time and what have you done so far to get there? When will you go? What RV do you plan to live in?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
we are. this winter we are getting the house ready to sell (a few minor punch list items from the remodel) and downsizing all our "stuff". we will put the house on the market spring of 2014 and plan to start full timing as soon as it sells. we purchased our current MH with the intent to full time in it.
this Spring the Escapee's are having their Escapade in Goshen, IN so we will be attending that- (its a 15 minute drive to the Elkhart County Fairgrounds from our home).
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
we are. this winter we are getting the house ready to sell (a few minor punch list items from the remodel) and downsizing all our "stuff". we will put the house on the market spring of 2014 and plan to start full timing as soon as it sells. we purchased our current MH with the intent to full time in it.
this Spring the Escapee's are having their Escapade in Goshen, IN so we will be attending that- (its a 15 minute drive to the Elkhart County Fairgrounds from our home).
Thanks for the response. We bought our Winnebago last spring and plan to sell house & stuff next spring to retire & go full time by June 2014. I am the only one in my social circle with a MH and "crazy plans" so hearing from like minded folks is good support.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #4

We are going full time Nov. 26 when our house sale closes. We love to travel and feel more alive when we are having adventures, meeting new friends and experiencing new vistas in nature.
We sold everything we own and our home of 20 years. We also attended a seminar on going full time, put on by RV Dreams. It was so helpful and geared to warded all aspects of the journey to full time living in an RV.
Some family and friends have been skeptical but most have been happy for us. The journey to full timing is emotional...letting go of old life patterns and stuff, but never have I thought it was the wrong decision for us.
I can't wait to get on the road again!
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #5

We also are looking to fulltime. Actually we have fulltimed on our 42' trawler since 2004, but are ready for some land adventures. Our boat is for sale( boat show in Nov) so hopefully we will soon be out there. Fulltiming for us has been wonderful. Really set us free. DW's high blood pressure improved so much she no longer takes med's.
Good Luck with your journey.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are two years ahead of you. Bought our first MH 3 years ago, did several ever longer trips and decided we liked the lifestyle. Two years ago we put some stuff in a storage POD, handed the house keys to a realtor and took off. We've been full time ever since. Originally the POD was our exit plan, it contained enough to furnish and equip a small apartment. Nowadays we joke about calling Pods and telling them to just run it over to Goodwill! We love the full time lifestyle and are completely open ended about ever coming off the road. We did get into volunteering, which gives us a purpose in life, and also provides free campsites and utilities which certainly help with the bottom line. To anyone thinking of going F/T, establish an exit plan, give it a year or so and see how you like it.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanagan View Post
Thanks for the response. We bought our Winnebago last spring and plan to sell house & stuff next spring to retire & go full time by June 2014. I am the only one in my social circle with a MH and "crazy plans" so hearing from like minded folks is good support.
here's a group full of guys like us with "crazy plans"!
Escapees RV Club
Old 11-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #8

full timing is not a permanent thing. Eventually the money will run out, also your health will run out. Then what? No home, no money, can't drive anymore, etc. Have you given that any thought ??
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
after all that, you usually DIE, we all have to face that some day.
B&W Companion 5th wheel
M zoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
full timing is not a permanent thing. Eventually the money will run out, also your health will run out. Then what? No home, no money, can't drive anymore, etc. Have you given that any thought ??
Yes, that's why you develop an "exit plan".
Old 11-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I always have an exit plan- if the house does sell or doesn't sell. what if in 5 -10 years we want to stop and go back to a house, illness, etc. a good plan will help take a lot of the guess work out of it so you can have more time for the adventure.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205
We are in the planning stages to go full time at some point next year. So I'm no expert in the the ways of full timing but have given it much thought and come to some concussions related to your points that the OP may find helpful.

First, I have to say nothing is a "permanent thing" with the possible exceptions of death and taxes. Second, after researching the full time lifestyle on this forum and other places and pushing numbers around in Excel for countless hours, I cannot prove your contention that the money will go any faster full timing than continuing to live in a S&B. Third, the anecdotal evidence indicates that going full time improves you health and outlook in the short to medium run but no one "beats the reaper".

Concerning the "then what", having lost parents, grandparents, and friends, I have seen too many times what happens when folks refuse to change their living arrangements to a retirement community or assisted living. They become stuck and are sometimes forced to make the move or simply pass away leaving a 60 or 70 year mess for their loved ones to deal with. It's especially sad when someone is basically forced by poor health to make that move. Also sad is to have to toss a waist high pile of things in the trash or donate to charity because nobody wants these treasures, or to see family members squabble over baubles that could have been dealt with years ago.

Going full time has it challenges but your cautionary words will be faced by all eventually. Going through the thought process and executing a full time plan advances many of those decisions and gets them out of your way and families hair early. Basically a sound plan to full time includes facing your mortality early, and that's a blessing for you and your family.

As others have said, the exit plan is a key ingredient in going full time, but just as much so as staying in the S&B. For us, we plan to follow the weather which will take us to many areas known for their "retirement friendly" weather, community, and financial characteristics. As we travel around we will look for the right place to finally settle down. We won't make visiting retirement or assisted living communities a part of our sightseeing, but we will have a better idea of where we would really like to settle down and research those options as we go. We know it isn't where we live now, but for us, clearing the decks and going to look just makes too much sense not to give er a go.

And a final thought on money. If you have a motorhome you have maintenance expense anyway. Using a motorhome is better for it than not. So going full time doesn't impact that as best I can tell, other than in a positive manner. Owning a home outright isn't free either. So I suspect that's pretty much a wash, at least my spreadsheet suggested as much.

As part of our 5 year plan to full time - we cleared the decks - moved to a transition apartment - and will not leave until the Motorhome and toad are paid for. We are protecting our savings by working until that's completed. We have no other debt and that puts us in the right frame of mind for the journey. We will have no financial concerns and the money won't run out. This doesn't occur on it's own and takes commitment and planning.

My advice to anyone considering going full time is plan your work and work your plan. Start the plan early enough to get you out there as soon as you can. The closer you get the better it looks and the harder it is to resist going right now, especially when your full timer friends are encouraging you to join them now. Be strong grasshopper - stick to your plan. Ignore both the naysayer and those encouraging you to abandon the plan and start before you are ready. You will be the one to live with your decisions, and your plan is there to guide you. The input of the others should be considered and accounted for in your plan. But it's your journey, your plan, and your life. Make the most of it and the journey will be your destination.
Steve and Annie
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been RVing since 1984 and have tried everything except a class B. We have lived long term in the RV 3 times while moving...3 months, 4 months and 51 weeks.

We sold the house last April and moved into the RV full time. It sold in just over 3 weeks as full asking price. We had a Moving/estate sale over 2 weekends and cleared out the stuff and extra vehicles. July 12, I retired and 2 weeks later we hit the road.

The first of the year we started working with our financial planner to get things where they need to be and went over the wills and medical directives with out attorney.

You do need to plan and get everything in order to have the least fuss when going full time. So far no regrets and enjoying life. Since going Full time and retiring, I have lost 20# and my blood pressure has dropped and my medications have been cut back. I finally came to the conclusion that working is a hazard to your health.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #14

You can't live your life paralyzed by "what ifs". You have to be smart, aware and prepare for things that might change but willing to take risks at the same time. Most full timers make themselves aware of the risks and changes but go forward with the adventures in life.
I don't want to be in my last moments in life and say "I wish I had.....".
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote