Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #1

Going to a weight scale this morning.

I have a friend that owns a feed mill and am going to get axle weights on my ACE.
Question is, with the large 18-wheeler type scale is there a way to get a wheel to wheel weight? Or can one only get a front axle and rear axle weight?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #2

I would talk to the scale operator first, explain what you want to do. He will know if you can do each wheel. Unfortunately, I think it will be axles only as was my case when I went to a Love's Truck Stop.

When you go, have the rig loaded as you normally travel, full gas, fresh water at travel level, empty holding tanks, and wife in the front seat. Gas burned off during the day will off set a few gallons in the black/gray holding tanks.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After you get the axle weights, See if you can drive only one side of your rig on the scales. Subtract this weight from the the total axle weight and you have the weight of the other side.

I was surprised at my weights. I was 300 lb heavier on the left front and 600 lbs heavier on the right rear. After repacking and adjusting the tire pressure to the correct pressure for the weight, my Motorhome drives and handles so much better.

Hopefully they will have room for you to weight one side, good luck.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #4

Here are my results which I am pretty pleased with.
Front axle: 5700
Rear axle: 10280
Overall: 15940
Right side: 7900

The weights were with full fuel tank, LP tank, and fresh water. I was standing outside during the measurements.
Below is my ACE spec placard.
So it appears I have around 2000# extra capacity available including occupants.

My question is, it appears since I fall within the specs I should be running my tires at 82# cold. I checked Goodyear's site for the G670RV tire and those charts confuse me more than inform me.

My guess is 85# should be more than enough considering Goodyear states at 85# the fronts will handle 3740# and the rears 3515#...if I am reading that correctly.
Right now my tires are inflated at 100# as per Camping World.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chart ACE.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	74820  

Old 09-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your Front weight falls below the minimum for the Goodyear G670Rv tire 245/70/19.5.
The chart shows the minimum 80 psi is good for 3640 lbs and you have only 2850 so 80 plus 5 lbs (for possible side to side weight difference) is 85 for the front.

The rear dual chart shows minimum 80 psi dual maximum 3415 lbs, your 2570 lbs, so 80 plus 5 lbs (for possible side to side weight difference) is 85 for the rear.

The chart also shows if you have "F" load rated tires, you can inflate them between 80 and maximum 95 psi .
The chart also shows if you have "G" load rated tires, you can inflate them between 80 and maximum 110 psi

That is how I see it.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
Your Front weight falls below the minimum for the Goodyear G670Rv tire 245/70/19.5.
The chart shows the minimum 80 psi is good for 3640 lbs and you have only 2850 so 80 plus 5 lbs (for possible side to side weight difference) is 85 for the front.

The rear dual chart shows minimum 80 psi dual maximum 3415 lbs, your 2570 lbs, so 80 plus 5 lbs (for possible side to side weight difference) is 85 for the rear.

The chart also shows if you have "F" load rated tires, you can inflate them between 80 and maximum 95 psi .
The chart also shows if you have "G" load rated tires, you can inflate them between 80 and maximum 110 psi

That is how I see it.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
They are the G.
I can't wait to feel what 15# of less air pressure feels like going down the road.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #7

Being a bit nervous about going 'all out' I only lowered my tire pressure to 90 psi.

Let me tell you, what a difference! My ACE suddenly became a lot higher quality riding motorhome. Now instead of banging over every highway crack, it just bumps over them. They are there. But you don't feel and hear them.
My wife accused me of buying new shocks! I told her I lowered the tire pressure 10 psi since I had it weighed. She still didn't believe me. lol

I was honestly thinking of upgrading my shocks nest year. Now I truly feel no need to. CHF and an alignment and I will be good to go!!!!

Tags
weight