Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #1

Goldwing lift

Guys,
My wife and I are new to this whole game! Now looking for a proper lift/carrier for our Goldwing! Yes, we understand the weight of this gem is the issue! Wanting to pick your brains and experienced insight! What are the best options? Any pictures? Any links? Now keep in mind, being new to this, should that depict trailer over lift! (we'd prefer a lift) Help us out with this y'all!
ps
(new to this board, so haven't found how to search for past posts! will learn that at a later date)

Russ and Robin
Jacksonville Fl.
35f Winnebago Vista 2012
V10 Gas

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome...
We ride as well, can't wait to see replies. Seems most people like to use enclosed trailers to allow for extra storage. We have an open trailer and it WILL be replaced...before my bike gets trashed with rock damage or worse.

RVM #124
We're the new guys you see at Campground......
2001 Four Winds/ Thor P32 Hurricane 8.1L 31k miles
MarkEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #3

HEARD!

rustyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #4

There's a number of options. First is the lift that hangs on the back. That'll put about a 1,000lbs. on the rear. I'm thinking that'll be too much on your Vista when you consider the overhang you already have on the rear. That's a lot of downward pressure, taking weight off the front would definitely change how the coach will handle. There's the Rampage lift which is mounted in the bed of a pickup which is towed 4-down so no weight issues on the rear. I've seen auto tow dollies that have room for a bike on the front of the dolly. My preference since I don't have a tag axle on our diesel pusher is the Rampage for my Ultra. I would definitely check into the Vista's rear weight limits before deciding.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
There's a number of options. First is the lift that hangs on the back. That'll put about a 1,000lbs. on the rear.
If it was only a 1000 lbs. There's the weight of the lift, the weight of the bike, and the weight taken off the front tires that ends up now on the rear.

If the lift weights 400 lbs, the bike weights 900 lbs, and figure 33% (ratio of where bike will be from rear axle to wheelbase based on measurements of the photo) off the front tires (1300 x 33% = 260 lbs), you'd end up with 1729 lbs extra on the rear axle. Loaded with all the normal camping stuff, that'd push the camper past its limits. They're also expensive to purchase and install, and we haven't even mentioned that the rear frame of many gassers isn't designed for that amount weight.

A trailer that will haul a bike or two is cheaper than a lift, doesn't require modification of the RV, and is easily sold if it doesn't work for you. Buy a used trailer, and you can break even if you sell it later.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #6

Need to have your rear and front axles weighed at a Cat scale with your RV packed with usual items, say half tank of water, full fuels tank, etc, just like you would be driving down the road. Then you add 1,300 lbs to rear axle and subtract 260 lbs off of front axle. This would be the first step to see if axles and tires can carry the load. Both tires and axles have to be up to the load. The second part would be to see if your frame can carry the added rear load. Chassis manufacturer discussion would be my first choice, failing that maybe a other owner of your RV can chime in, or talk to Lift manufacturers to see if they have done one like or similar to your 35f Winnebago Vista.

X2: The pull behind trailer will be your lesser cost option.

Two popular lifts I have seen and have talked to owners about are the Cruiser-lift. The ultimate motorcycle RV transportation system. and the Hydro-Lift Hydralift Motorcycle Lifts | The Art of Lifting
Not cheap options.

Of these two I favor the Cruiser Lift and am traveling to Katy TX to have one installed in September.

Good Luck!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #7

I have a Wing as well and just the thought of putting that bike on the back of the coach is concerning. I have towed Harleys in the past on a bike trailer and that is the best way in my opinion however the next trailer will be an enclosed version.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We also have a Wing and have checked out both lifts.
It is highly recommended to have a diesel as the frame is
stronger. The cost of the hydralift is quite a bit more and
requires a welding shop to mount it.

Cruiserlift states that two people can mount their unit in
a couple of hours.

Both units are rated for 1000 lbs and also for 6000 lbs of towing.
Hydralift works with electric and hydraulic. Cruiserlift is all electric.

I live in BC Canada and both units are hard to come by.
Will possibly look at them when we winter south.

Check the weight factors on your coach before purchasing.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post

Both units are rated for 1000 lbs and also for 6000 lbs of towing.
Hydralift works with electric and hydraulic. Cruiserlift is all electric.
My hydra lift is rated to tow 8,000lb.

To the original poster, to be blunt, you dont have enough chassis to carry a heavy street bike on a lift !
Old 08-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
The only way you'll be able to take your Wing with you is on/in a trailer. There is no way that your rear axle or frame will survive with that much weight hanging of the back of the MH. Also you'll be taking a goodly amount of weight OFF the front axle due to the leverage factor of the Wing on the back of the MH. All around you'll be putting yourself in an unsafe driving condition.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I could"t get any one to install a lift on the back of mine .They said the frame extension wouldn't stand the weight . I had a 9 ft light weight trailer built with a 6 ft folding ramp
it works very well .Main draw back is no towed vehicle . It would be nice to have both
when on a month long trip .There is a tow dolly that will take both but I am not convinced I want that .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:36 AM   #12

You guys Rock! We much appreciate opening our eyes to the weight factor! Being new to this, didn't even think of that! Although we'd look cool popping wheelies with the RV down the road, it might pucker our butt checks a bit!
Thanks for educating us fast!

Russ and Robin

rustyjax is offline   Reply With Quote