Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Golf Cart Suggestions

Looking to purchase a used electric golf cart.
Interested in you recommendation's, experience's and where to purchase.
I'm in Pa. and there doesn't seem to be a lot of used cart's advertised for sale by individual's.
A big question is, will it fit in a 6.5 ft. truck bed with tail gate down, and be able to tow the travel trailer without the tailgate hitting the electric tongue jack?

04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought my 99 club car (48v) in 2006. Ive had zero issues. Replaced original bayteries in 2010. I am unsure about hauling in a 6 1/2' bed with the TG down. I can tell you that my club car takes up all of a 4' x 8' footprint.
Also something to keep in mind is that if your golf cart will fit with the gate down...and the lowered gate clears the tongue jack when truck and trailer are straight clearance will be reduced when turning.

427adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
I used to load my easy-go golf cart in my 2001 Dodge Ram standard bed with the rear tires on the tail gate. How I got around the issue of the tonge jack not hitting the tailgat is that I used an aftermarket tail gate for pickups pulling 5th wheel travel trailers. The center section missing from the tailgate would allow me to make turns without the tonge jack damaging the tail gate.

I think the overall weight of the golf cart and my 19' travel trailer was too much for the pickup when I would climb a 6% grade, and that was with the 5.9L engine.

Have you loaded your golf cart in your pickup yet? I had a lifted golf cart with big ballon knobby tires, and had to ride over the tire wells, not a big deal though. I had a 4" lift on the truck, so using home made 8' ramps worked good. Using 6' ramps was a little scary, almost flip over a couple of times, any shorter of a ramp would have been impossible. Be careful loading.

Hope this info helps, best of luck
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
I don't think it will fit between most wheel wells and it would be a lot of weight on a tail gate they weight around 900 to 1,000 pounds.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427718205.127103.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	90019
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
If you are in eastern pa go on craigslist and search for golf cart dealers in south Jersey. We bought ours from a dealer there who had new, used, lifted, not lifted, gas, electric etc.........He also had everything from 07' -11' used. The dealers get carts back off lease from golf courses so they may have 20 of the same year and model that they need to sell quite a bit less than a private owner who has one to sell. There was also a place near chincoteage VA

The guy we bought from said he has carried golf carts all over the country with his tailgate down on a short bed truck. I am an 8ft bed man myself but I see a whole lota people with short beds doing it.
2016 Jayflight 32 BHDS Fiberglass sides. Golf cart
06' Chevy CC Dually 6.0. 20k hitch NO w/d bars. 16" wheels & LT TIRES
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
I can haul our cart in a standard bed but the tailgate is to close to the tongue jack for my liking. When I do haul I put a sheeet of 3/4 inch plywood down to take the weight off the tailgate.
08 Trail-Lite 8230
2011 Silverado 1500
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Hi 04 keystone,
If you are coming south, I40, exit 407 in Tennessee has a large golf car dealership. They sell new and used. It is about 1 mile from I40. Go to Sevierville Golf Carts_ Golf Carts & Trailers in East Tennessee and take a look.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #8

We have a Cricket and love it! http://www.ricksesv.com/
Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:32 AM   #9

Where in PA are you? I bought my 2009 E-Z-Go RXV at Stoltzfoos near New Holland. Give them a call. They are great to work with.

Customized Golf Carts Lancaster PA | Stoltzfoos Batteries & Golf Carts

nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
Thank's everyone.
If I get one I'll look for a long bed truck first.
If I get a standard cart ( non lifted ) what length ramp do you recommend ?
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
Thor Owners Club
It will fit. You may look into tailgate supports rather than relying on the tailgate cables. My EZ Go is about 9' long from front to rear seat foot platform.
When searching for an off lease cart, consider where it comes from. My cart was from Split Rock Resprt in PA, so it was used maybe 6 months per year. Carts from the south are used year round & have a lot more hours.
Also, check out Buggiesgonewild.com
All kinds of cool cart stuff!

2012 Thor Astoria 36MQ
Butter Toffee on Toasted Almond
'96 Cherokee toad Tim, Dar & our black Lab "Chase"
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote