Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Smile Good & Bad products for Septic Systems

I've been googling & searching and have found some brief lists about what is "bad" for your septic but cannot find what is "good" for your septic.

What I'm looking for is brand names of "good" cleaning products for washing dishes, cleaning windows, hand washing, bathing & shampoo...to name a few.

I've found the names of three "good" toilet tissues.

We're looking to buy a dedicated site in Washington state & I've looked on the government state site for tips, too.

Please share your tips, thank you.

*~*We do not own an RV as yet - looking to purchase at a private, membership required, camping club.*~*

wingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your RV does not have a septic system. What it has are waste holding tanks. There are a number of good chemicals on the market. What I like is the Odorless brand and a decent single ply paper.

Some people use a bio system and some a homemade brew.

Then there are the ones that NEVER #2 in the toilet...only #1.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't used any chemicals for a few years ( since I learned you don't need them here ) . Water only.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Since septic tanks depend heavily upon bacterial action, the primary thing to avoid, is using anti-bacterical agents, such as too much chlorine bleach.

The other big cuplrit is oil and grease, often addressed with a grease trap to prevent grease from getting into the septic system. As long as you don't summarily pour grease down the drain, residual grease should not present a problem.

Those are the only two things that come to mind.

The kind of toilet paper you use isn't an issue; it's just a marketing gimmick.
Stan Birch
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32T Ford V-10
Stan.Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
The Geo Method, consists of one capful of any good fabric softner followed by one short squirt of "Green Dawn" liquid detergent.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wingnutz, we use the same cleaning products in the RV that we use at home. For the hands, body, hair, dishes, dishwasher, clothes washer, floor cleaning, window cleaning, leather care, cloth seat care, you name it. We use the same brand toilet paper, tooth paste, pain medications, shoe polish, and car wax. We even use the same brand waste paper can liners - plastic grocery bags, mostly from Walmart. Nothing to stress about, go have some fun.

PS: Use the toilet tissue that you like and quit worrying about finding a "good tissue".
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Washington requires phosphate free products. If your private site has a septic (common there), ask what the previous owners were using. The main thing for cleaning products is that they not be abrasive, many items in a travel trailer are acrylic or similar plastics, which will dull and scratch if you use abrasive products.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your waste system (as TXiceman says, it isn't really a septic) thrives on natural processes, meaning naturally occurring microbes eat the wastes products (food and body) and generally keep things working as designed, as long as you don't kill them off.

Actually, the waste system that your RV tanks dump into is NOT the one to be concerned about, since anything in your RV is, by definition, there only temporarily. If you killed off all the microbes in your black tank, the next poop would restore them fairly well. But dumping bad stuff into the campground system could mess everything up.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
I use the Geo Method in my Trailer. BUt, I would like to try the Break Up Plus product bu they don't ship to Canada and I have not found a dealer here.
dfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Congratulations on your upcoming RV purchase. When you hook up to your septic system at your site, just use the stuff you use at home. There really isn't "good or bad" for the septic. We use Dawn for dishes, dollar store window cleaner (you asked but it doesn't figure into the septic), dollar store soft soap but not the anti-biotic kind--just a personal preference and any toilet paper on sale. We have been on a septic system at our house since 1977 with no problems. The advice about avoiding putting grease down the drain is a good one as well as not using a disposer but the RV's in my price range don't have one! Once you get the septic system thing down, then there is the whole new world of grey and black tanks while on the road. Good luck.
2003 Mountain Aire, W/22, 09 Saturn Aura
richvkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
At Jackson Rancharia RV Park, Jackson, CA an attendant immediately dumps your holding tank and issues a bottle of their own. I assume they feel you will abide by their rules and use none of the stuff with evil ingredients. Not too sure you can still buy it. Use lots of water and don't dump until you are at least half full.

Now if you must worry think about the price of fuel.

Don G.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote