Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Good Idea..or not?

After several months of use and almost weekly, or at least monthly promises to gut the flooring on my RV and replace it with something more forgiving than the carpet linoleum combo I have now I am about to forge ahead with my plan. Below is/are the circumstances as they exsist, please contribute if you have suggestions, or would caution me for whatever reason, would be interested in hearing from anyone with what may be an attractive alternative as well.
Condensed version. I have a low use, low mileage 1996 34' Pace Arrow, it is in fine shape, the flowered decor, and the faded blue carpet are both eyesores, and not at all condusive to what I bought this unit for. It's primary use is to race Motocross out of, we also take lots of "dude trips" in it, mountain biking, climbing, rafting and such.
The red dirt in Oklahoma at the tracks gets in the carpet and does not come out. It is my plan to pull all of the flooring up this weekend except for the carpet on the dog house and that which is in the area of the cockpit will leave it for it's insulation (heat and noise) value. The rest I plan on covering with one uncut/unspliced piece of black and white checkered linoleum, no glue, tiny upholester staples on the edges to prevent it from rolling or peeling up, maybe a section of quarteround here and there. Here is my thought process, I have read about this "floating install" being an attractive option. Easy, no glue, no bubbles, one piece so unless it is compromised no water leakthrough unless it gets through on an edge as it shouldn't penetrate the one piece flooring itself. If it turns out it is a bad deal, it's only a 200.00 ish investment. The wife isn't happy with my plan but has only been in it once or twice. Clean up should be a breeze. I realize resale would be ... lets say not so good after a few years of this but I'm thinking anyone interested would be doing the same type stuff with it I am anyway. I mean I want it to be nice and don't abuse it but I want it to be more utilitarian. Toy box ish if you will. The class A and cargo trailer is/was a lot cheaper to get into than a Toy box, and capable truck. I have been at it long enough now to conclude it wasn't a passing phase so am ready to make some user specific mods more condusive to what I do with it. Thanks for your input and suggestions.

YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have a slide make sure it will climb over your new floor.

"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
you are right on track . go for it, like you said if it don't work out 200.00 out if pocket and pull it up and try something else but! you will be happy with it just put a couple of throw rugs here and there and it will look and work just fine for what you are going to use it for.the mobile home ind. did that way for years .
swampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Staples ?~? Even if only on the edges ...
I guess you don't walk around barefoot like we do

I like the quarter round idea betta !

but good luck on getting one piece folded and cut into that tight a space

(And fyi - rode a yz400 all around the streets of Esfahan and Tehran, Iran back in the day - motocross knobbies and all
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Armstrong makes a flooring install kit you use it to make a template of the area then cut the new stuff in a big area IE garage. Then install lot less hassle fighting big sheet. I would use as few staples as possible use the corner moulding it will allow the linoleum to expand and contract easier less likely to tear it.
1996 GulfStream Conquest 31feet May 2011
1984 SouthWind 27feet loved for 6 years
1 Wife 6 Kids
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Thanks for the suggestions, I believe the quarter round would be handy in some areas, other it may not be an option. I hadn't considered the expansion, retraction too much. I guess with different climates and temps that should be considered. I wonder if the quarter round would discourage it from pulling, or rolling up without any nailing or staples. As far as the stapleling goes I have some really tiny ones that get driven about 1/32" below the surface, seems like they will anchor the flooring without shooting through it. Thats my hopes anyway. Thanks.
@JohnBoyToo, nice on the what you rode and where you rode it, good thing they were so dependable as parts had to have been hard to come by there. On my last deployment "some friends" smuggled some 25cc 2 stroke pocket bikes in our containers over to Iraq, tons of fun. We taped off races courses on the hanger floors when we could get away with and had lots of fun on them. Good Times!
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
You might talk to someone who does vinyl installation for some hints and tips. Maybe you even want to consider to have someone do the installation for you after you remove everything. I bet it would not cost you that much, since you have done the hard work.

2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote