Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #1

Good quality rainproof picnic tent?

Camping last weekend the four of us were crammed under a 10x10 instant up canopy in the pouring rain.

So shopping today for a picnic tent that will cover a picnic table and possibly allow an additional chair or two.
I see Clam Corp has a pretty nice canopy for a mere $400+!

I do believe one gets what they pay for, but is this worth the investment?
http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporati...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You're going from 10x10 to 12x12+- and it costs $400. Sounds like a lot.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used ecanopy.com when looking for a tailgating canopy. Don't know if you have looked there or not, but huge selection at different price points.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I see your point. But that Clam canopy is quite a canopy, and has rainproof sides, and screens.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I looked at the Clam Canopy and it's NICE. I'm a gadget guy and would really like to have one, but we just wouldn't use it enough to justify the purchase.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

As far as worth it goes they all have a limited life expectancy due to UV damage as well as normal wear and tear. That had us doing the 12x12 and a couple of side walls every few years before we switched to the port a cabin. We would still do a screen house if we got into stopping more than a couple of nights in one place. We found 10x10 was still tight in wet weather with the average 6 ft picnic table.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:37 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
It's more than 50% larger than the 10x10.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
As far as worth it goes they all have a limited life expectancy due to UV damage as well as normal wear and tear. That had us doing the 12x12 and a couple of side walls every few years before we switched to the port a cabin. We would still do a screen house if we got into stopping more than a couple of nights in one place. We found 10x10 was still tight in wet weather with the average 6 ft picnic table.
Most of our camping trips are 3 nighters.
I am the type that once the jacks hit the ground the only time I spend in the mh is sleep or bathroom. It also never seems to fail that one of the days/mornings there will be rain. So then the furniture all needs collected and everyone heads inside.
I thought, especially after this past weekends 2" deluge, how it would be nice to have a shelter from the elements.
We also have 2 labs and this may be a nice way to corral them while outside. They are pretty well mannered and would not jump or push on the walls.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"EricGT".....If I were doing your type of camping, it would be a no brainer getting the Clam. Just make sure you're aware of the closed/storage length, over 6'.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"EricGT".....If I were doing your type of camping, it would be a no brainer getting the Clam. Just make sure you're aware of the closed/storage length, over 6'.
I actually just ordered it. I found it for $360 with free shipping which seemed like a pretty good deal.
I have a hitch rack that I can strap it to if it doesn't fit in my pass through.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:06 AM   #11

Follow up when you get it. It looks nice. The two things I'd be concerned about are that it is very big (some sites we stay at I can barely get my 12x12 to fit in) and the other thing is I'd wonder how hot it would be here in Florida since it looks like you can't roll the screen up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGT View Post
I actually just ordered it. I found it for $360 with free shipping which seemed like a pretty good deal.
I have a hitch rack that I can strap it to if it doesn't fit in my pass through.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:11 AM   #12

What's a port a cabin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:27 AM   #13

I have a newbie question. Generally, how difficult is it to drive stakes into the ground at RV camp sites (class A) for a pavilion like the clam?

Thanks

Mike
TwoDogDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDogDad View Post
I have a newbie question. Generally, how difficult is it to drive stakes into the ground at RV camp sites (class A) for a pavilion like the clam?

Thanks

Mike
We never have a problem. FWIW, it is sometimes the opposite when we are camping near a beach area. The sand is too soft to adequately hold the stakes.
We use a rubber mallet for the hammering.

Tags
quality, roof