Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Sam Advance Notice on Rating Inspection

We are currently staying at a CG and for the second year, they took reservations for the Good Sam Ratings folks. What good is it to inspect a CG for a fair rating with advance notice? Should not the rating reflect what we as consumers experience when we just show up? If this Good Sam advance notice is the protocol Good Sam uses, then their rating system is worthless. Does anyone know if this is how it is supposed to work or is this just a fluke?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is disturbing.
DBTulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think about it. What can a campground with poor utilities, bad roads, unlevel sights, poor entry roads, bad location and lousy view do about those kinds of things with a little notice? Sure, they can clean the dark, outdated and tiny restrooms, mow the lawn, and make sure the crabby desk clerk has the day off, but will that change anything? Also, GS gives a lot of poor ratings, even to their member parks.
Do I agree with their ratings all the time? Absolutely not. Do I agree with RVPark Reviews all the time? Absolutely not.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Think about it. What can a campground with poor utilities, bad roads, unlevel sights, poor entry roads, bad location and lousy view do about those kinds of things with a little notice? Sure, they can clean the dark, outdated and tiny restrooms, mow the lawn, and make sure the crabby desk clerk has the day off, but will that change anything? Also, GS gives a lot of poor ratings, even to their member parks.
Do I agree with their ratings all the time? Absolutely not. Do I agree with RVPark Reviews all the time? Absolutely not.

If you had a point it was missed!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I got his point. He's saying that it makes very little difference whether the cg owner knows if Good Sam Ratings people are coming to visit or not. About the only thing they can do will be temporary clean-ups, or giving the grouchy check-in clerk the day off, and these things vary from day to day or month to month anyway.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not speak for Good Sam's or any other rating origination but if I were such an outfit I would send in two teams of inspectors.

One makes reservations 3 months in advance
one shows up at the gate without warning, 4 months before the other one.

Possible even a 3rd team that visits (Unannounced) a month after the announced visit.

THEN you compare notes, and if there is evidence of an attempt to "Upgrade the rating" (IE: hiring of additional staff for only the time the inspectors are present, that is the OPEN inspectors) The rating gets...... Flushed.

Side note: IF you find a GS park where your expierence does not fit the rating.... Feel free to mail, or E-mail at least, GS with your findings.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkjd View Post
If you had a point it was missed!

Perhaps that is why you don't understand the reason that announced or unannounced inspections make no real difference.
Check nctox's response - he simplified the point.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I actually find the reviews on campgroundreviews.com are more accurate based upon my experiences.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=demoon;2140862]Perhaps that is why you don't understand the reason that announced or unannounced inspections make no real difference.

Check nctox's response - he simplified the point.

Unannounced inspections are a standard in nearly every industry for safety and performance standards and if you can't grab the concept you probably enter the park backwards.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
As a Good Sam member, we have stayed at a lot of their rated parks, most of them need a "Surprise inspection" and do not deserve the rating they hold. It is easy to list "Big Rig Friendly" and a couple of times.......had a super hard time in the campground navigating and getting into the site. In ending, a couple of campgrounds should not of even been part of their program. So now , after bad experience's, I really study up on the Good Sam parks before I make a reservation.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Never used GS for finding parks......I'd rather read what other RVers have to say about a park....folks like you have more sway with me then any business organization.....and that's why I exclusively use rvparkreviews.......
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do the Good Sam inspectors of CG also sell the Good Sams advertising for the their directories? That is something I just heard. If, so the conflict of interest would seem to be obvious and would make the Good Sam CG ratings laughable. Does a full page adv get you a better rating? I would like to see Good Sam respond and provide a legitimate reason why they should be trusted by RV'ers and it's not just a self serving con. If not it would seem to be Bad Sams. What about Woodalls? Is it the same?

Old 07-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
What about Woodalls? Is it the same?
Woodalls is owned by Good Sam. So probably have the same inspectors.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Sam/Woodalls: why should any RV'er trust your ratings, if your inspectors also sell advertising?