Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #29

With all the negative posts on all the forums I can't understand why anyone would expect service from a service co. They have there place but they aren't AAA

johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #30
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And my post specifically said I was sitting in my driveway and GS ERS sent a tire repair truck and they fixed it. When they asked if I was in a safe place I told them I was in my driveway. No problem at all.

So, I wonder why others have had a problem.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
We have Coach Net ERS. I have had 2 flats repaired on 2 separate occasions. The charge for the repair truck to come to our location was free. The charge to remove the tire, break it down and repair the flat was $20 for the first one and $25 for the later one. Both were inside duals. I have no doubt the cost to remove the tire, break it down and replace it with a new one would have been the same.
That is cheap. The roadside folks near me all charge between $130-$150 and hour, minimum 1 hour charge for labor once they arrive to remove the old and replace it with new.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:42 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
You are probably looking at a couple of issues here.
1. Costs. GS and other roadside services have been having challenges financially. We have heard about CoachNet and AAA in this vein as well.
2. ERS. What constitutes and doesn't constitute ERS. At home doesn't usually constitute ERS. ERS is all about helping out stranded motorists on the side of the road in dangerous or dire circumstances, not helping owners fix issues that they have when at home. Of course, some legitimate issues come up when your rig is at home but should they attend when your rig needs a jump start or needs tires pumped up or for any other issue that might prevent you from driving your motorhome? Not really feasible and you know that some would try to use them for just that sort of thing;
best rule of thumb is that if it happens on the road and you want your coverage to apply, don't bring your rig home first. Once there, all bets are off. I know that AAA will tow you somewhere; if you choose to be towed home and are close enough for that to happen, you are done for their service once that has been accomplished.
Some have been able to use them for such things but I suspect that it is a judgment call of whomever they happen to talk too. Because of #1 above, that kind of largesse is going to be rarer and rarer.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #33

Geez... it's pretty simple, and clearly spelled out in the ERS brochure. GS or Coachnet or most anyone else will install an operable spare (in any position) at no charge. If you do not have an operable spare then you will have to pay the tow service provider for whatever it takes to get a tire into working condition. As was noted earlier ERS is a limited contract intended to cover certain basic services, not anything that can possibly go wrong with the vehicle.

If a service that was specifically promised in the agreement was not delivered then you have a beef, but otherwise it's not the service provider's fault if you didn't read the terms and conditions.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Not unless things have changed in the last couple of years. See my previous post #14. Coach Net repaired flats on 2 separate occasions - $20 for the first one and $25 for the second.

Oh, yeah - both repairs were done in a campground. We were not on the highway, but we were technically away from home.
I really think it's the "luck of the draw", as to who you get, when you call for ERS service. Some will come to you, whether it's an emergency or not. Some won't (as in my case). Some will charge extra for changing your flat and some won't (also in my case).

An update on my tire problem, is that I called a local service and they came out to the campground, found that the problem was a bad extended valve stem and replaced it. $50.00, for the service and stem. I went on my way (over 200 miles) with no problems.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
OK...I'm the OP. Let me clarify my position a little.

First...I have read the brochure. It is NOT "Emergency Roadside Assistance" as some have claimed but just plain Roadside Assistance. It can be used anywhere in the US, Canada, or Mexico. This includes MY DRIVEWAY.

Second...I could not changed the tire myself. I not equipped to jack up a 44 foot bus and take off lug nuts that are torqued to almost 500 ft lbs.

Third...My main complaint was that the same service provider was being sent to me at two different prices. $150 if dispatched by GS or $99 if I called them. Why do I pay MORE for the same services if I go through GS? I thought MEMBERSHIP was supposed to have privileges?

Fourth...The same service provider that we both called was to arrive in 2 hrs with GS. I called and they said we are on the way and got here in 25 minutes or so. Why do I have SLOWER response time with GS?

Fifth...GS is too busy to take my call. They have to take my number and have a rep call me back in 2 to 5 minutes, but NO ONE CALLED BACK. I waited 45 minutes and called them back, only to be handed a line of bull that someone was on the way. They didn't even know where I was, they just wanted to get me off the phone.

I am complaining of poor customer relations which has become a standard these days. I am probably wasting my time and effort. I have emailed Marcus at GS because if I was him, I would want to know what my employees are doing to my company and how the public views my companies services.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #36

I agree with all your points in your revised summary, except for the complaint about the different prices, especially the over reaction of calling it a rip off attempt. To me its perfectly natural and understandable that there are different prices applied to a universal one price fits all situations from Alaska to Fla, 24/7/365, day or night or holiday; vs a call direct from a local customer 7 miles down the road. Also, as a small business man my price was always higher when a 3rd party billing was involved. Just knowing that I'm going to receive payment directly & immediately from you on completion of the service, would be worth a $50 discount, as opposed to submitting my billing thru GS and waiting 60 days for reimbursement.
Just my opinion, you're entitled to yours.

As for call center service, you're right but that's the new reality. You're usually dealing with minimum wage folks who couldn't get hired at McD or Wal-Mart and all they do is read from a script and earn bonuses based on how many calls they process. Just be glad they spoke English.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Ok. After reading the OP's last post, I have to agree that at the very least there are some good questions for GS.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
OK...I'm the OP. Let me clarify my position a little.

First...I have read the brochure. It is NOT "Emergency Roadside Assistance" as some have claimed but just plain Roadside Assistance. It can be used anywhere in the US, Canada, or Mexico. This includes MY DRIVEWAY.

Second...I could not changed the tire myself. I not equipped to jack up a 44 foot bus and take off lug nuts that are torqued to almost 500 ft lbs.

Third...My main complaint was that the same service provider was being sent to me at two different prices. $150 if dispatched by GS or $99 if I called them. Why do I pay MORE for the same services if I go through GS? I thought MEMBERSHIP was supposed to have privileges?

Fourth...The same service provider that we both called was to arrive in 2 hrs with GS. I called and they said we are on the way and got here in 25 minutes or so. Why do I have SLOWER response time with GS?

Fifth...GS is too busy to take my call. They have to take my number and have a rep call me back in 2 to 5 minutes, but NO ONE CALLED BACK. I waited 45 minutes and called them back, only to be handed a line of bull that someone was on the way. They didn't even know where I was, they just wanted to get me off the phone.

I am complaining of poor customer relations which has become a standard these days. I am probably wasting my time and effort. I have emailed Marcus at GS because if I was him, I would want to know what my employees are doing to my company and how the public views my companies services.
And you let them know you were not happy so they could explain their position or fix it? Posting here will not get their attention, I would post over at their forum and explain to them their service did not meet your expectations and why.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
From Good Sam web site.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance – Keeping your wheels in motion!
They say change is inevitable. This may be true, but when you need a tire change on the road, it can be unnerving. About 1/3 of all roadside problems are tire related. And, since most new RVs today don't come with a spare tire, you could find yourself in a tough situation, unless you have Good Sam Roadside Assistance!

We have a partnership agreement with Goodyear, one of America's top brands, which means we can easily find you the most appropriate replacement tire. At no cost to you, we'll bring that brand new tire right to your breakdown site and make sure it's swapped out. Before you know it, you'll be ready to roll. And even better yet, as a Good Sam Roadside Assistance customer, you'll get a significant discount on that tire.

So, if you have a tire blowout on the road, just give us a call and we'll do what it takes to get the right people and equipment to you. Before you know it, we'll have your wheels back in motion.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance National Tire Program... we never get "tired" of helping.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #40

You left out this critical bit at the bottom of that page:

"Note: All program benefits are subject to limitations set forth in the current Member Benefit Brochures, which will be sent to you upon approval of your membership."
Old 04-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #41

Off topic but may be helpful.
I think all ERS folks have issues.

I called AAA for a battery for our car. The nice lady who took my call asked for the vehicle info incl. engine size etc. She gave me an exact amount for a new battery that I chose from 3 selections. Said it could be up to 2 hours.
1 plus hours later a truck shows up and proceeds to jump my old battery. I asked about a new one and he said he had no knowledge of a new one and did not have one.
After we got home I contacted AAA explained that if I wanted just a jump I would have pulled out my jumper cables and asked someone in parking lot I was in for a jump, would have been on my way in minutes. They were very apologetic, said they'd use this as a training opportunity and removed this service call from my tally.

They dropped the ball but recovered nicely IMO. Hopefully GS will also.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #42

What are the reasons for not having a spare tire????
I just do not see the logic of choosing to be stranded................