Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
If you use a 22.5" tire most rigs have no where to put one, unless of course you put it on the bed or somewhere else inside the rig as I my basement does not have enough room to store it, and I am not able to heave a heavy tire on the roof either. If take one and it is inside I would also have to find a way to secure it, nothing like slamming on the brakes and having something that heavy start rolling or flying around the inside of the rig waiting to stop on the back of your neck . If you look at most long haul trucks, they do not have spares either.

Here is a solution to carrying a 22.5" spare tire. Watch the video.

Simpson Tire Mount - Carry a spare without a care.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #58

Wink GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
I am shocked!

Here's the deal...The inside dually on our Monaco blew out. It had a hole the size of your fist in the sidewall. Since I was looking at a set of new tires anyway, I wasn't upset about the blowout, just happy nothing was destroyed or damaged. So I drive my pickup into San Antonio and buy 1 new tire. My plan is to take the tire back to the MH and call Good Sam for the tire change. At this time the MH is at my ranch, safe and sound, but one shoe is blown.

I call GS roadside assistance and someone tells me that they are so busy that they cant talk to me right now but they will call me back in 2-5 minutes. After waiting 45 minutes I call back and they tell me that an operator is dispatching someone to me as we speak. Wait where I am and they should be there in 1.5-2 hours. At that point I asked them how they can do that because I haven't even told them where I am yet. Heck...I haven't even Told them exactly why I even called. They said they were sorry and said they made a mistake. Ok, we all do, lets move on.

Then the GS operator says that GS will pay for the service call but I need to give them a credit card to pay for the labor and labor will be $150.00. This sounded wrong and I questioned the charges. The GS operator said she would check on prices and call me back. While waiting for GS to call back, I called the Loves Truck Stop 8 miles away. Loves said they would do the whole job for $99.00. When GS called back I told them what I had found and they didn't care, $150 for the call on my credit card or they wont come.

Obviously I had Loves put my tire on for $99. Why do I pay to be a GS member? I haven't typed this much in years. <rant over>
Thats why we use coach net..Never had a problem with them..

donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Here is a solution to carrying a 22.5" spare tire. Watch the video.

Simpson Tire Mount - Carry a spare without a care.
Very nice, but $800 is a little expensive for a tire mount. I think I would just as soon carry a spar tire without the rim, and when they arrive they can mount it.

USAF Air Force Retired
CanAmMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAmMick View Post
Very nice, but $800 is a little expensive for a tire mount. I think I would just as soon carry a spar tire without the rim, and when they arrive they can mount it.
For $800 I can have a new tire brought out, and pay to have the service done on the side of the road and still come out ahead. After traveling for a few years I rarely see a rig with a flat anymore, so I will roll the dice and pay to have someone bring me out a spare and change it. May take a few extra hours, but I would need a bunch of new tools to change it also, and at my age I get enough exercise jumping to conclusions.
I did check over at the other forum, the OP never posted over there so they will not be aware there is a problem to fix it, or the OP is unhappy and try and rectify it. This is like walking into a Nissan dealership and complaining about the Saturn dealership across the street and expecting it to fix itself.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #61

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
From Good Sam web site.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance Keeping your wheels in motion!
They say change is inevitable. This may be true, but when you need a tire change on the road, it can be unnerving. About 1/3 of all roadside problems are tire related. And, since most new RVs today don't come with a spare tire, you could find yourself in a tough situation, unless you have Good Sam Roadside Assistance!

We have a partnership agreement with Goodyear, one of America's top brands, which means we can easily find you the most appropriate replacement tire. At no cost to you, we'll bring that brand new tire right to your breakdown site and make sure it's swapped out. Before you know it, you'll be ready to roll. And even better yet, as a Good Sam Roadside Assistance customer, you'll get a significant discount on that tire.

So, if you have a tire blowout on the road, just give us a call and we'll do what it takes to get the right people and equipment to you. Before you know it, we'll have your wheels back in motion.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance National Tire Program... we never get "tired" of helping.
#1. Mebbee GS was just putting a $150 hold on your credit card against what the actual cost would be. I've had that happen before, not GS, and the actual cost of the service was less and that was what the actual charge was.
#2. Check out the bottom line of the post by Triker56 and unless I'm misunderstanding it,it is referring to a seperate program and I won't put one of those tires on my rig.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Twice I have had GS tow my wife's car from inside our garage at home to the dealership. Never a charge. Only time I paid extra was when I had my van at work towed to a dealer that was not the closest one. Then just paid the extra mileage. Haven't had to use GS for the MH yet. 5 or 6 times in total I have used them in 6 years.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #63

New Horizons Owners Club
We just used our GOOD SAM EMERGENCY ROAD SIDE REPAIR SERVICE for the first time last month and we were very pleased with the service.
We had smoke coming out of a rear wheel on our truck and GS sent a great repair tech within the time frame promised. We were told exactly what the service call would be just to come to us (out in the middle of nowhere) and figure out what was wrong. We were fine with that. Once he found the cracked rotor he gave us a very reasonable estimate, got the parts and repaired the wheel on site.
We could not have been more pleased with a service we have had all these years and hoped we would never need but were sure glad we had ! THANK YOU GOOD SAM
Old 10-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GS might have contracted the job to the Loves...ouch that would be a hole different thread... "San Antonio man rips phone off the wall"
Old 10-31-2014, 08:22 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Previous MH would not start, -25 blowing snow. It was in my driveway. Local tow trucks would not respond because they said the rig was too big for them. Dynamax 25 ft class B . GS sent tow truck up from Duluth, 110 miles one way. They towed it to local garage 2 miles away. Oh and the tow truck they did it with was same size as local trucks. Also towed my car to have starter replaced, even found shop that could do job at 9:30 pm on a Friday night. I am satisfied with their service.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is why the operator you are talking to always asks "are you in a safe place?", as one of the first items they must record. If you say NO I'm not in a safe place, they phone local police to assist with your safety.
Not true in my case. I was blocking half of a two lane road, and after 3 hours they still had not shown up for a tow...they were trying to "find" someone (a Love's station was a mile down the road). Some locals finally helped me out and got me on the way. No one, local authorities or otherwise, ever showed up as a result of GS.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:24 PM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
We were diving our motorhome from St. Louis, MO to the southern part of Missouri last week when we had the right inside dual tire go flat, thank god for our Tire monitoring system. We parked off to the side of the road and called AAA. They were out to help us in 15 minutes, and with the spare tire mounted on a rim we had with us, they put us back on the road in less than 20 minutes with no hold on a credit card and no fee charged. All they needed was some ID and the AAA card number. No pain and no problems.
trikeleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1142 View Post
Not true in my case. I was blocking half of a two lane road, and after 3 hours they still had not shown up for a tow...they were trying to "find" someone (a Love's station was a mile down the road). Some locals finally helped me out and got me on the way. No one, local authorities or otherwise, ever showed up as a result of GS.
I would never call anyone other than 911 if I were not safely on the shoulder. Why put my life, or someone else who is driving down the roads life in jeopardy because I called an ERS instead of 911? There are times you have to look at the bigger picture, yes I pay for ERS, but at the end of the day I will have Law Enforcement call the service and roll the dice as to reimbursement. A life is not worth a tow.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
There's always...........f i n e p r i n t .
Ahhh... what the big print givith, the fine print taketh away
Old 11-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #70

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikeleader View Post
We were diving our motorhome from St. Louis, MO to the southern part of Missouri last week when we had the right inside dual tire go flat, thank god for our Tire monitoring system. We parked off to the side of the road and called AAA. They were out to help us in 15 minutes, and with the spare tire mounted on a rim we had with us, they put us back on the road in less than 20 minutes with no hold on a credit card and no fee charged. All they needed was some ID and the AAA card number. No pain and no problems.
Glad you had that experience with AAA, my experience was AAA leaving my wife and daughter stranded at night out in the country with a flat tire and refusing to send help because they could not provide a street address, . My calls and letters to AAA requesting an explanation went un-answered.

CoachNet as never let us down.