Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Good Sam attempted rip-off

I am shocked!

Here's the deal...The inside dually on our Monaco blew out. It had a hole the size of your fist in the sidewall. Since I was looking at a set of new tires anyway, I wasn't upset about the blowout, just happy nothing was destroyed or damaged. So I drive my pickup into San Antonio and buy 1 new tire. My plan is to take the tire back to the MH and call Good Sam for the tire change. At this time the MH is at my ranch, safe and sound, but one shoe is blown.

I call GS roadside assistance and someone tells me that they are so busy that they cant talk to me right now but they will call me back in 2-5 minutes. After waiting 45 minutes I call back and they tell me that an operator is dispatching someone to me as we speak. Wait where I am and they should be there in 1.5-2 hours. At that point I asked them how they can do that because I haven't even told them where I am yet. Heck...I haven't even Told them exactly why I even called. They said they were sorry and said they made a mistake. Ok, we all do, lets move on.

Then the GS operator says that GS will pay for the service call but I need to give them a credit card to pay for the labor and labor will be $150.00. This sounded wrong and I questioned the charges. The GS operator said she would check on prices and call me back. While waiting for GS to call back, I called the Loves Truck Stop 8 miles away. Loves said they would do the whole job for $99.00. When GS called back I told them what I had found and they didn't care, $150 for the call on my credit card or they wont come.

Obviously I had Loves put my tire on for $99. Why do I pay to be a GS member? I haven't typed this much in years. <rant over>

Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't see how GS could be labeled a ripoff. They have their price and the truck stop has theirs. It is your choice.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I don't see how GS could be labeled a ripoff. They have their price and the truck stop has theirs. It is your choice.
GS= Good Sam-----not
GS= Giant Sham----yes
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
It's a rip-off in that GS promotes their service as pay the yearly fee and if you have an emergency, they will be there. No where in any of the lit that I've gotten is there any mention of an additional fee for service.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
GS says they pay the service call. GS wanted me to pay $150 for extra labor because it was an inside tire. If it was just putting on my spare (which I dont have), no charge to me.

Loves says $99 for the service call. NO EXTRA labor charges and they were there in 20 minutes.

GS makes you believe that you get a special deal with them because you are a member. Just call GS and they will take care of you.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #6

Good Sam ERS doesn't supply the labor or set the prices, they're just a middle man passing through to you what ever price they're quoted by the local service provider they have a contract with. You found someone willing to do the job cheaper. That's not surprising nor a rip off attempt.

"Why do I pay to be a GS member?"
You pay for the ERS primarily to tow you somewhere when you're broke down along side the freeway, not to find you the cheapest labor to change a tire at your ranch.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach Net would charge for mounting the tire in this scenario as well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
Good Sam ERS doesn't supply the labor or set the prices, they're just a middle man passing through to you what ever price they're quoted by the local service provider they have a contract with. You found someone willing to do the job cheaper. That's not surprising nor a rip off attempt.

"Why do I pay to be a GS member?"
You pay for the ERS primarily to tow you somewhere when you're broke down along side the freeway, not to find you the cheapest labor to change a tire at your ranch.
GS was sending Loves Truck Stop, so they are not passing on the costs.
I pay to be a GS member to use they benefits they offer. That includes towing AND tire service, but not at a marked up price.

Does it really matter where my MH was when it needed tire service? On the interstate or parked in the shed?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #9

GS has a specific price structure no matter who delivers the service.

51 bucks difference would not be a rip-off to me for the service procurement provided. For you, it just happened to be close rather than far.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
It's a rip-off in that GS promotes their service as pay the yearly fee and if you have an emergency, they will be there. No where in any of the lit that I've gotten is there any mention of an additional fee for service.
You need to go back and read it a bit closer. It specifically says what they provide and don't provide in certain situations, and clearly says all other parts & labor are on you. Yes, in an emergency they will respond and tow you to the nearest service shop. But nowhere does it say or imply they will provide anything and everything needed to fix your problem. Quite the contrary, it clearly limits what they will provide.
In their written example for flat tire, their policy says they will only pay to mount your "inflated spare" or tow you to the nearest shop. If you want a new tire or unmounted spare mounted, that's all on you.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There's always...........f i n e p r i n t .
Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
What they did not tell you. They place a $150 hold on the card, but it may cost you less. Had the same thing happen, when the service guy arrived, it ended up being a little over $80, not the $150. I would imagine if they had told you it was $80, then you were charge more you would not be happy about that either. GS has on their website a brochure that tells you mounting a tire on a rim is not covered, CN has the same policy, but they don;t have the fine print anywhere to download.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would be willing to bet that it wasn't GS that was charging you the labor,but the company that was going to be coming out to change (?) replace the tire. Usually when yhou have a blowout,you call in and tell them what size tire you need and they'll pick one up and bring it to you and change it.Yes, they charge you full bore for the new tire,but that profit makes up for changing it. It's not like they are just changing a flat with a spare. In reading your post,I can't figger out if you were at the ranch when your tire blew or on the road somewhere and drove home.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #14
paz

Are we talking about Good Sam RV Club or Good Sam Emergency Road Service???

If good Sam Club, then road service is not covered, and I would expect a $100 to $200 charge to dispatch a repair truck, depending on where you were located. If Good Sam ERS, then the service call itself should be covered. You pay for work performed when they get there, whether it is changing a tire or the cost of 5 gal of fuel if you're out of fuel.

We have Coach Net ERS. I have had 2 flats repaired on 2 separate occasions. The charge for the repair truck to come to our location was free. The charge to remove the tire, break it down and repair the flat was $20 for the first one and $25 for the later one. Both were inside duals. I have no doubt the cost to remove the tire, break it down and replace it with a new one would have been the same.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote