Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good sam ? Beware

Good Sam member 805447000 for 5 years. Last year we had two RV tow,
driving a total of 12,000 miles ,more about that one later.
This year we had 2 flat tires and one tow of our Jeep.

Today I receive a notice that Good Sam is cancelling my policy because of EXCESSIVE use. NO JOKE.

this all came about because last month I had to get our Jeep towed to the dealer because our subframe broke and was on recall. Good Sam wanted to tow my Jeep to a body shop 1.2 kilometer closer. I explained to them that 1. that's a body shop not a garage and it has to go to the dealer, and I'm arguing about a body shop I know with a guy on the phone in Arizona. That's where last year's towing fiasco came to light for them.

They are peeved at one tow. Long weekend Monday last year leaving Merrickville ON Canada our motorhome dies on the highway, in a really bad manner. We are in an uphill curve with our rear end sticking out on the highway.
Provincial police had to set a road block, the County works dept were called in because Good Sam said it would be a while. It was about 10 am. They had to bring a big rig from Cornwall ON. (about 75 miles) on a Holiday. The Rig showed up at 9 PM. Now with Good Sam there's a rule that says that you will be towed to the nearest repair center which should have been Kemptville ON about 15 miles away. We did not know that and obviously nor did the tow truck driver. He asked where we going and we said our service garage in Ottawa. We rolled into Ottawa at 11:50 pm. Driver told us he was upset because he was dragged out of a family gathering and never did a long range tow. He also mentioned that this was a $700 to $1,500 tow job.
This was obviously not our fault but without notice we got a cancelation of membership effective immediately.

What if we were midway on a long trip or worst broken down. Is this the kind of service and reliability you want?
Sunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
You are not alone with poor Good Sam experiences. I can’t imagine Good Sam is long for this world with their current business practices.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We've been with Good Sam since 2001 but will be changing to FMCA on the next anniversary date!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #4

I have Good Sam for other reasons. For roadside I do have Coach-Net. No one comes close to handling larger rigs on ability and customer service from everything I know than them. Good Sam is for smaller things I would believe.
Paul L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We've been with Good Sam since 2001 but will be changing to FMCA on the next anniversary date!

Me too!
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:57 AM   #6

You should be owed a prorated refund based on remaining months of that policy. Here is their policy on cancellation. Gotta love the fine print.

MeMBership and cancellation policy3, 4, 5
Membership is subject to cancellation by either party at any time for any reason, upon written notification. The cancellation of a membership includes the primary member and all individuals eligible for benefits under the membership. All benefits will cease when the membership expires or either party cancels. Should either party cancel, the member will receive a prorated refund for the unused portion of his/her membership term, without any deductions.
http://webcontent.goodsam.com/goodsa...r_brochure.pdf
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
File 5 claims in 2 yrs. with your auto ins. carrier and see how much they like you. You have outlived your usefullness with GS.
Also, be sure to advise your new Co. of your past claims history. I'm sure they will be willing to pickup where GS quit.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #8

I don't know what the average usage of roadside is, but my initial gut reaction was that 5 calls in two years is quite a few. I don't like that they cancelled on you, but I do think that's probably well above average usage.

I've have roadside assistance of some kind or another for decades and, knock on wood, have only had to call once. Unfortunately that was when I had it on my Progressive insurance and the person on the other end of the phone didn't know what a motorhome was or what kind of service I might need to replace a tire the size of something on a semi while I'm sitting along the road, so I ended up handling that one myself anyway.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #9

Just like any other insurance company. Their sole purpose is to make money. That’s why healthcare is out of control. If there were more “Not for Profit” companies out there you’d get a fair shake. 5 times may be a lot but it’s not sold that way. I’m sure their overall average has them comfortably in the black.
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickho View Post
Just like any other insurance company. Their sole purpose is to make money. That’s why healthcare is out of control. If there were more “Not for Profit” companies out there you’d get a fair shake. 5 times may be a lot but it’s not sold that way. I’m sure their overall average has them comfortably in the black.
Would be great if you started a "not for profit" Insurance co. I'm sure we would all join.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoesdad View Post
File 5 claims in 2 yrs. with your auto ins. carrier and see how much they like you. You have outlived your usefullness with GS.
Also, be sure to advise your new Co. of your past claims history. I'm sure they will be willing to pickup where GS quit.
Have to agree with this quote.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoesdad View Post
Would be great if you started a "not for profit" Insurance co. I'm sure we would all join.

My nephew is a PhD in Mathematics and has worked for insurance companies world wide for about 15 years, first as an employee and now as a consultant. When he told me that, depending on if it's car insurance vs health insurance vs homeowners, etc., that the payout amounts are 30% to 50% of premiums, on average, I about fell over. 50% to 70% GROSS profit is a pretty tidy sum. Of course they have all their SG&A to cover and taxes, but none of them are going broke anytime soon.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
5 claims is alot
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
You are not alone with poor Good Sam experiences. I can’t imagine Good Sam is long for this world with their current business practices.
I couldn't agree more.
I am riding out the last year of a 2 year contract and have my fingers crossed we don't run into problems.
I am reading far too many horror stories about GS Roadside Assistance.
After that, it will be shopping time, CAA, FMCA anything but Good Scam!
My wife is telling me to just bite the bullet and sign up with someone else now.
So I loose a few bucks on the policy but gain better service.
As they say, your first loss is usually your best loss.
I think she has the right idea!
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote