Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #15

Yes, the FJ is good when you can get into them, either at the RV pumps or backward to the gas pumps in front of the building. I have a 38' and get 7.5 mph. I cannot drive far to get the better prices because the distance will more than eat the savings. At 3 cents per gallon and the additional drive time I just fill up at FJ , go potty and head down the road.

gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At many Flying-J/Pilot locations with RV pumps the RV pumps are a bit, er, Tight

But I've always been able to pull up beside and outside AUTO pump no tribble at all.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
mapquest great too

[QUOTE=brobox;1948505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post

X2 it only took me one trip after the Pilot/FJ merge to figure out they really increased their prices to cover the discounts. Gas Buddy is my friend.
I did a study of prices along the route to florida from NJ. I found price variation as much as 35 cents between the truck stops and alternative stops just a few miles off 95. My DW runs mapquest fuel map to locate the cheapest locations on the route. as you move the map different prices pop up. Once she finds the lowest price she calls to verify the sale price and makes sure it is not off road fuel. We head there and fill up. we also do this before we leave on a trip so as to plan our stops too.

try mapquest diesel or gas. you will really like as it gives you the name and telephone number of the location and lets you slide the mouse all over the map.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Where does map quest get the prices and updates?
Old 03-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #19

Good Sam also jacked up their membership fee to evaporate any 3 cent discount you may or may not get at the pump. New fee is about $25
Old 03-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
I had a look at map quest for Oregon.....I think I prefer gas buddy........we had a pilotj charge card that we didn't use because there were never stations along our route when I needed diesel....we close the account.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
We use a PenFed Visa card and get 5% off of all gas and diesel purchased. Every month I get the bill 5% has been credited on it. No max.
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Good Sam also jacked up their membership fee to evaporate any 3 cent discount you may or may not get at the pump. New fee is about $25
You can get a free Pilot/ Flying J "my rewards" card at any location. The last time I used it I got 2 cents off per gallon and the dumps were half price. My card doesn't mention Good Sams but they are hooked together somehow. Its the same color and the store signs now mention it.

Those Silly Old Boys at "Good" Sams inflicted a years free membership on me. I received at least 1 piece of junk mail per week for the year and for the first 3 months at least 3 per week. I told the local postmaster I considered it obscene but he wouldn't go for it.

Sometimes fuel prices at the exit are 10-20 cents higher than a few blocks away. Sometimes they're the lowest around. That is completely local. Forty or fifty miles away the situation may be the opposite. With my milage, I fuel at the exit. I do check prices in the morning and sometimes fuel earlier or later than normal to take advantage of lower prices.

mangy dog
Old 03-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #23

Good Sam has other benefits look at the "smile and save" deals that may cover the membership fees. If you are a Sam's Club member you can get a Sam's Club gift card when you renew you Sam's Club membership check website for details.

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
Sometimes fuel prices at the exit are 10-20 cents higher than a few blocks away. Sometimes they're the lowest around. That is completely local. Forty or fifty miles away the situation may be the opposite. With my milage, I fuel at the exit. I do check prices in the morning and sometimes fuel earlier or later than normal to take advantage of lower prices.

mangy dog
mangy dog.

If we do need fuel we do the same as we know there are no problems accessing pumps when it comes to any height issues you could encounter a few miles inland. That's happened before!!

When at a destination site we are unhooked and then go sniff out the less expensive fuel.

With our AUX Tank we have around 100 gals of diesel so we can travel along way before so the previous comment usually applies.
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorgear View Post
Been a Good Sam member for years. When renewing this Year I got a card that is suppose to get you 3 cents per gal discount at all Pilot stations. We are on our way to Florida and was looking forward to using my discount. Much to my dismay all Pilot stations only have gas at the front pumps that are impossible for me use, since I'm driving a Class A and towing a car. The truck pumps do not offer gas only diesel. Almost all the new stations have these pumps facing the building and very little room to make a turn with a large coach. One would expect Good Sam being part of the Rv industry would know about this issue. Has anyone else had this problem?
Not so much about the discount, but I do agree with what you are saying about the tight stations. We once had to wait for cars to leave that were parked in front of the store so that we could make the turn to leave. Once when we pulled in to a station with three other RVs, the pump was so slow they had to close the gas part of the station so that we could finish filling and be on our way. I'm not that happy with Pilot and will usually find something more accommodating, even the stations with an RV island. They always point to the building and you can't turn out of them.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #26

aaa i just pull in and back out and played a few games getting to a pump
Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Where does map quest get the prices and updates?
Individuals such as yourself who call-in/text the pricing to the website, gasbuddy has the same input.There is no way to verify accuracy for all those stations.

Good Sam/PFJ, now has a new card branded Good Sam/PFJ rewads card. They are mailed to members automatically as membership is renewed, or you may phone them to request the new card.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is also a pilot/Flying J app....better than hauling a book around. Never had problem with my Pilot/Flying J card being accepted. Have travelled many thousands of miles with it.

2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote