Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just went from Nashville to northern Ohio and found that the
FY/Pilot fuel discount is 3 cents but the dump with discount is now advertised at $7.50.

Some Kentucky locations did not have the applications for the card without the Good Sams membership or credit card application. One clerk told me the non-GS program had been discontinued but applications were available down the road.

However, they all had the free book so you don't have to mess around with a silly "app".

mangy dog

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
There is also a pilot/Flying J app....better than hauling a book around. Never had problem with my Pilot/Flying J card being accepted. Have travelled many thousands of miles with it.

I also have traveled many thousands of miles with my Flying J card. Never have used it though. Even with their BEST discount, they are way to expensive . I'm not really concerned about the
Price of their fuel. I just have a problem with getting fleeced !! I'll give my business to someone that has some morals !

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Call me old fashion but I only gas up @ a BP or Shell or Union76(or whatever it is) or a station along there lines same with the toad and my 64. I belive in there product and the performance and their usually not that more price wise.
Yes I use Gas Buddy when ever I have to get Gas some times it can be 30+ cent difference from one side of town to the other
JMO,
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Amen on the too expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I also have traveled many thousands of miles with my Flying J card. Never have used it though. Even with their BEST discount, they are way to expensive . I'm not really concerned about the
Price of their fuel. I just have a problem with getting fleeced !! I'll give my business to someone that has some morals
!
We just came down from NJ to FL. I use mapquest for pricing as you can scan a very large area or small to find best fuel price on their map. Not all price are accurate so I just click the dot for the phone a call ahead to confirm both the price and availability. Well we picked up our first fill in Dillion SC for 12 cents cheaper than any where else (377) and by waiting until out of NC we saved over 20 cents.

Now for the big news from Flying J> Our next fuel pickup before hitting FL where all the stations charge $4 or more for diesel, was to stop in GA exit 1. I called ahead to FLYING J to ask for price since mapquest showed $371. The girl who answered didn't know but passed me to some DUDE who INFORMED ME THAT THEY DO NOT GIVE PRICE OVER THE PHONE BECAUSE "THERE IS A FEDERAL LAW PREVENTING THEM FROM GIVE FUEL PRICE OVER THE PHONE" TO TOP IT OFF HE WOULD NOT CONFIRM THE PRICE ON MAPQUEST. I told him to go take a FF. We stopped at exit one to the BP where they told us when we called that yes they did have diesel and the price was $377.

We are lucky that we can travel 600 plus miles before needing fuel so we look for price along our route. I have NEVER stopped at a Truck stop for fuel as they are always expensive. Even with all these special cards and crap. I use my credit card and get 3% back as cash.

Incidentally, we are pulling 8K pound in the trailer and getting 7.45 mpg.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Call me old fashion but I only gas up @ a BP or Shell or Union76(or whatever it is) or a station along there lines same with the toad and my 64. I belive in there product and the performance and their usually not that more price wise.
Yes I use Gas Buddy when ever I have to get Gas some times it can be 30+ cent difference from one side of town to the other
JMO,
tb
I have friends in Portland that deliver gas and they've said that regardless of the brand, it all comes from one tank. For Shell they added an additive to the truck tank. I think this is the same everywhere. So cheap gas or BP, it's all the same. I try to find stations that pump a lot of diesel so it's hopefully water and algae free.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:57 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Stopped at the Flying J twice yesterday (roundtrip in the toad) and the fuel has the same price as the locals. Now gas was .31$ higher than my local station. But this Flying J serves up a pretty good cup of coffee. Otherwise, it's a drive by.

Now Gas Buddy! I just make sure it's a high volume station. AND I don't buy fuel in Indiana. I fill up before I go thru there.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #35

We just decided to renewed our membership for two years and received a $25.00 gift card in the mail. A month ago we traveled from PA to Florida and back. We are able to take full advantage of our membership on that trip..... gas, CG discount and discounted store purchases. I agree that the junk mail is a little annoying but no more annoying than AARP!

And to the other posters response.... We charge our gas on our credit card and take advantage of their cash back rewards and also the points! FYI...we do not drive out of our way to to save a penny per gallon.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
I gave up on any station discounts years ago except for my credit card cash discount. Stations that give the discounts normally raise the price to cover it anyhow. I use Gas Buddy on my phone and fuel without wasting time with cards that only work 1/2 the time. Flying J when they were Fling J were great, but since the merger with Pilot I go out of my way to avoid them. And what's with having to go inside to pay first??
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #37

Flyin' J north of the border seems to be the 'high price leader' too.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #38

I use gas buddy to get it cheaper than the discount amount also.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I gave up on any station discounts years ago except for my credit card cash discount. Stations that give the discounts normally raise the price to cover it anyhow. I use Gas Buddy on my phone and fuel without wasting time with cards that only work 1/2 the time. Flying J when they were Fling J were great, but since the merger with Pilot I go out of my way to avoid them. And what's with having to go inside to pay first??
Same here. We avoid all the big truck stops. Even if you get one of their cards with the big "discount" all that does is bring the fuel cost down to what a normal station charges. Not to mention the PITA to go inside, stand in line, give them your card, refuel, back in to stand in line to get your card...not worth the hassle.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm pretty sure all gas isn't the same. The last place I'll buy gas here in the Northeast is Kwik Fill. They tout "American Gas" but I just don't get good mileage from their gas.

I had to drive about 220 pretty flat miles pulling an enclosed empty trailer with my small SUV. I filled up with regular (10% Ethanol) at the local Kwik Fill on the way out of town. Arriving at my final exit I was on fumes and had less than a gallon left in the tank. I filled up there as soon as I got off the highway (again 10% Ethanol but not a Kwik Fill), drove to a motel, drove to dinner, and then back to the motel.

The next morning drove to breakfast then another 10 miles and picked up about 1,200 pounds of books. I then turned around and drove home the same route. When I got home I had almost a quarter tank of gas left in spite of being 1,200 pounds heavier and there was no wind to speak of in either direction.

Kwik Fill is the closest station to my house and I had thought I was filling up a lot there in recent months but a quarter tank is a pretty big difference.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Not to mention the PITA to go inside, stand in line, give them your card, refuel, back in to stand in line to get your card...not worth the hassle.
A lot of the Flying J's RV Islands that I fuel up at with my GS Plus card 8 discount. Have had pay at the pump readers. No need to go inside. And make the $3.999 price $3.919 a gal.

But I probable instead will swipe The GS 3 card for $3.969 price and use my Visa 3% of for a $3.849 a gal.

Besides I like those $2 breakfast's(Biscuit & Gravy with scrambled egg) in Denny's at Flying J's no matter what the fuel price is.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #42

I have the Flying J issued card where I get 6 cents a gallon off of the cash price not the credit card price. If you use one of your credit cards with the rebates I believe you are paying the inflated credit card price and get your discount off of that. The credit card price is usually 5 cents or more a gallon more than the cash price. With my FJ card and the fact it uses the cash price I figure I am getting an 11 cent discount from using a credit card.

I tend to use FJ anyway because I know they move a lot of diesel fuel and trust that the fuel is always fresh. Given the number of 18 wheelers that fill up there I also trust the quality of their fuel.