Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If u dont do the gs parks save the $12

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our regular CG is part of the GS network so were good with that. There rate is 30 a night so we save 13 bucks and get a map. Plus a cool sticker to put on the back window. I always put them on the window easier to remove when they fade out.

Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by StStg1 View Post
DW and I have been GS members since 2004. True, they send a lot of mail, but if you're not interested in what they send, simply throw it away or recycle it. Membership has put us camping with lots of people and all that we've met are good folks. The best advantage to being a member is joining a local chapter and making new friends. I even went so far as to start a chapter myself. We have the Roadside assistance and have used it numerous times. We also have the extended warranty for our TT. Haven't used that, but the peace of mind that it brings is worth the cost. As someone else stated, the magiazine is worth the membership costs. Just my 2 cents worth.
I'm glad you had a good experience with Chapters. I haven't! Last year we were invited to spend a weekend with a Chapter on Hood Canal. The entire time I felt like an intruder. The only guy who had anything to do with us was the one that invited me.
Earlier this month I contacted the Wa State head honcho requesting a referral to a local chapter. I received a call from the president of a chapter near Olympia. I told him that we were local residents but spent the winter snowbirding. His response was "Oh No, we are a year round chapter"!
I emailed the State Rep and informed him/her of that conversation and after 2 weeks, no response.
So needless to say, I've bagged the idea of ever having anything to do with the organization.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Became a life member many years ago which has not saved me any money other than no yearly fees. Have my insurance through them as well as towing. Next month they will sponsor a huge rally in Redmon, OR with entertainment headlined by Vince Gil. I would venture a guess the greater majority of RVers are members. Would not travel without their camp ground directory.

Don
Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #19
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Notwithstanding the "volumes of unwanted mail" that you will get upon becoming a member, as an organization, GS is OK. I've been a member since 2001 but stopped when we started to just camp at state parks within WA. So, I haven't been using their 10% discount at RV parks. And the only service that I've been getting for my membership was their "Highways magazine". And based on my experience with their ERS, where I've also been a member since 2001, is also satisfactory. I could have stayed with their ERS if I wasn't told it is only for "GS members". So my advice is try it and enjoy the discounted membership fee.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I am a member and the 10% discount is good for many parks we stay at. The magazine use to be good. This past issue looked like a Campers World Ad!!!!! I wouldn't waste my money on a life time membership at several hundred $$$$$$$!!!!! As mentioned earlier all the junk mail ( usually e-mail for me) It's pretty easy to hit delete!!!!
Dan
Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
I'm glad you had a good experience with Chapters. I haven't! Last year we were invited to spend a weekend with a Chapter on Hood Canal. The entire time I felt like an intruder. The only guy who had anything to do with us was the one that invited me.
Earlier this month I contacted the Wa State head honcho requesting a referral to a local chapter. I received a call from the president of a chapter near Olympia. I told him that we were local residents but spent the winter snowbirding. His response was "Oh No, we are a year round chapter"!
I emailed the State Rep and informed him/her of that conversation and after 2 weeks, no response.
So needless to say, I've bagged the idea of ever having anything to do with the organization.
Finhawk, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Don't know about WA State, but here in TX, all the chapters I've visited welcome you with open arms. Did you want to get involved in the outing or were yuu just there?
Most GS members are very friendly and open to new visitors. If you are ever in the Dallas area please let me know and I will give you the date for our campout.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
We became life time members years ago so our membership has more than paid for itself by using the GS discounts at parks. We had their emergency road service for years but changed to Coach-Net this past year because the techs are way more RV oriented. The GS ERS did help us with vehicle problems and did a good job on that. We also have our coach covered by the GS extended service plan but haven't used it yet. The magazine was great but not so much now - that latest one was awful as others stated. We have never become members of a local chapter nor have we attended a rally. Rallies are too expensive and far away from us. Overall, if I were young I would do the same thing and become a life member just for the campground discounts.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #23
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

I am also a GS Life Member, and I would say that anyone who is a regular member or thinking about joing GS! Ask them, about becoming a life member! It is a one time fee I did it a few years back so not sure what the fee is now. So depending on how young/old you are and how long you think you will be a member it might pay off becomming a Life Member!! Also since becoming a life member and getting the Mag on line my junke mail from them has cut down!!! As for Road Service I have had Coach Net since 2000 and have used them a few times and was very happy with there service! Just my 2 cents worth!

Remember All: LIVE, LAUGH & ENJOY !!!!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #24

Got GS and enjoy the directory and discounts. Also have Coach net. The wifes jag broke down 128 miles from home. She called her AAA. They said they would only tow it 2 miles to a local garage (that didn't fix jags). Called CN and they were there in 30 minutes towed it 128 miles home no charge. That's service!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Been a member for 3 yrs now, other than junk mail no complaints. When I picked up the new RV they had the best rate for insurance. Also have my ERS through them.

Looking at Passport America for the bigger CG discount

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote