Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #1

Good Sam club insurance

just got an email about Good Sam club insurance for towing, medical transportation, service, and other good stuff. i'm wondering if any of you have it or know something about it. i'm a member and the coverage was about 110.00 a year.

Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 10:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
just got an email about Good Sam club insurance for towing, medical transportation, service, and other good stuff. i'm wondering if any of you have it or know something about it. i'm a member and the coverage was about 110.00 a year.

I have the whole thing, but have only used the tow service and road service for tires. I was pleased with their performance all three times. One call solved the problem each time. They even found me a tire on the Fourth of July and drug my rig out of the mud in my father-in-laws yard. I only paid for the tires at reasonable prices for the time of purchase.

I will renew when my 5 year term expires.

I am sure others have differing experiences.

APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
US too

Not only has GS road side assistance been responsible for organizing repairs for break downs in the MH, but also our other cars and trucks.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would go with FMCA. It's less expensive!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #5

Good Sam roadside

We had Good Sam roadside insurance for our last motorhome. I ran out of gas (stupid me, didn't keep an eye on the gas gauge). We were right outside Sacramento. It was 108 degrees that day and they didn't show for 2 1/2 hours! We also had AAA but didn't realize we could use it for that. They would have been there in 30 minutes max. Never again!
sequoyausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you got an advert covering several possible insurances thru GS, e.g. roadside assist, medical transport, repairs (extended warranty) etc. It's not clear what the $110 you cited covers, e.g. roadside only, or some additional services. Please explain further.

Those insurances are all great to have if needed, but each has a cost and a probability of need to consider. You will hear pros and cons on each, with some horror stories where service was less than terrific. One thing to remember is that all these policies come from an agency, not the people who will actually contract to do the work. Basically you are paying for a service that will find somebody reasonably near you who can come fairly promptly and do what is needed. You have to realize that there may not always be somebody near and not busy, and GS (or Allstate or Coach-Net) can't do anything about it. Nor can they make a tire materialize or get a fan belt on a Sunday night in Podunk Falls.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
GS Roadside Assistance

We have an older MH (2001 Adventurer) and carry the roadside assistance. Have only used twice. Once for towing once for blown tire. Had good service both times. GS has unlimited mileage towing (they pick the shop) which for me is great peace of mind. Also one tow probably equals 10+ years of membership.

All the companies providing roadside assistance are contracting with service providers. Wherever you break down the service you get is more about geography than who your coverage is with.

Good chance GS, AAA and FMCA would all send the exact same tire guy/tow truck to a given location.

Happy Travelling
Old 06-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AAA probably would not have done any better. I have had AAA for probably close to 30 years. The last time I called them to change a tire on my wife's car the guy put the lug nuts on so tight one of the broke off. I turned in a claim with AAA and they did nothing.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #9

thanks for the reply's and yes I have AAA and they are no better than any others. I think they all have glitches now and then, it just depends on were your at and who is going to do the service.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #10

I have Good Sam and don’t see where medical transport is covered. Medical referral is all I see on my contract. I bought Good Sam coverage for last 2 years and haven’t used it yet.

FWIW, Blue Cross/Blue shield ( my medical insurer) will also refer you to the closest covered physician or medical facility. When my wife got sick on a vacation in 2016 BCBS referred us to the closest outpatient clinic and even called the facility for us to let them know we were coming.
RickNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:10 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
FMCA includes medical emergency and travel assistance free with membership!

Tags
insurance