Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #29

I will continue my Good Sam membership. They are a great advocate for our lifestyle and get involved in the politics of RVing.

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
I will continue my Good Sam membership. They are a great advocate for our lifestyle and get involved in the politics of RVing.
You are absolutly right. It's hard to imagine having a Motorhome and bitching about a membership that is cheaper than a half of a tankful of fuel. It truly is a strange world.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
And that half tank will get me to a dozen campgrounds. That's of more value to me....

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #32

It does not matter how much money one has or does not have! It is a question of value either real or perceived. Those who see the value in a Good Sam membership will have a membership! Those who do not find sufficient value will not have a membership! It is that simple. Not amazing at all. What is amazing to me, is why anyone would think that simply because someone has a some money, again whether real or simply perceived by others, should throw it away on things others believe to be of value.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why do I constantly get all the GS (or possibly BS) and Camping World junk mail, and each time they remind me that my membership is soon due and I should renew right away? My membership may not be due for several months. This always gives me the impression that I am being scammed. If they want to remind me in the two months before renewal that is great, but they send their reminder many months before. Do they take us for stupid or what?
Good Sam & Camping World are worth being members of and I will continue to use them, but they send the wrong impression with all the BS reminders. What do you all think? I am a member of both ( now one) and have their roadside assistance program, but there is something about this organization that I just don't trust.

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
Why do I constantly get all the GS (or possibly BS) and Camping World junk mail, and each time they remind me that my membership is soon due and I should renew right away? My membership may not be due for several months. This always gives me the impression that I am being scammed. If they want to remind me in the two months before renewal that is great, but they send their reminder many months before. Do they take us for stupid or what?

Good Sam & Camping World are worth being members of and I will continue to use them, but they send the wrong impression with all the BS reminders. What do you all think? I am a member of both ( now one) and have their roadside assistance program, but there is something about this organization that I just don't trust.
All companies and orgs do this, good or bad. This ticks me off too but that's just the way it is. Go to your Profile/account on both sites. You'll have a place to uncheck all the various email subscription options. That will get rid of 99% of the email, but looks like no option to stop renewal stuff.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You just have to "know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em. Follow your gut feeling.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #36

We are lifetime members and have the emergency roadside service. We travel a lot so the 10% we save at campgrounds is nice and on our occasional trips to CW we have saved a little here and there.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are new Good Sam members and Pres club. A camping world is 5 miles from my home (wilsonville, OR). I've been buying a small number of things there for the past 10 years. What I have noticed over that time is a slow decline in the number of customers in the store. Used to be packed on the weekends. No longer. This is likely due to Internet alternatives. While I do use the web for research and buy plenty there, it's nice to go to an actual store that hires people in my area and I can see the product in person. Sadly, many people these days visit local stores to do their research to buy online for less.

For me, supporting such a store is a good thing. If the price isn't outlandishly higher, I do. The pattern I see lends me to believe the membership change is to reduce costs for the company. If the trend continues I expect the stores to be gone in a few years. Of interest in our area is that camping world bought up a few of the larger RV dealers as well.

Is Camping World the Border's Books of the RV world? We had many fond memories of live concerts, coffee, and nice Saturday "hang out" time with dear wife years ago. It was a community hub at the time. All went away with the web. I'm a technologist by trade, yet not all of the trends of the web are good.

I also frequent RV Parts Outlet as their warehouse happens to be nearby as well as a good alternative. Very knowledgeable folks.

Does anyone belong to the local chapters of Good Sam? There are several in our area that regularly gather for camping events.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
And that half tank will get me to a dozen campgrounds. That's of more value to me....

Sheila
The annual membership is $25, but RVers can take advantage of a $19 internet special .

Ooops, Sorry,
I said the Membership was the price of a half tank of fuel. I guess it's only about 7 gallons.
I like the 10% discount at some of the Good Sam parks when I am not at a state park, so for me the $25 is worth it.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
Call GS customer service and ask to be removed form their mailing lists. I called them and asked to be removed from email and postal mail lists about a year ago, have not received any junk mail since then.

Like you I couldn't figure out why I got so many notices to renew or to join when I was already a member. THought they had bad data in my account. The customer service rep was very helpful in removing me from all their lists.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #40

In 2010, I got GS discounts of $279.00 and with Passport America I got $606.00 in discounts.

It depends on how many days per year you are on the road and the type of parks you like to stay at. Every one is not the same. Thank God!!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
You are absolutly right. It's hard to imagine having a Motorhome and bitching about a membership that is cheaper than a half of a tankful of fuel. It truly is a strange world.
Quote:

Sheila
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
The annual membership is $25, but RVers can take advantage of a $19 internet special .

Ooops, Sorry,
I said the Membership was the price of a half tank of fuel. I guess it's only about 7 gallons.
I like the 10% discount at some of the Good Sam parks when I am not at a state park, so for me the $25 is worth it.
Seven gallons will get me 70 miles- lot's of places to visit in that range, so that is still of more value to me. And as I stated in my post earlier (#25), I stay at state/county/federal parks, so their 10% off at campgrounds is not of value to me.

Let's agree to disagree, shall we? I find, at this time, no value in GS and you do. More power to both of us!!

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Seven gallons will get me 70 miles- lot's of places to visit in that range, so that is still of more value to me. And as I stated in my post earlier (#25), I stay at state/county/federal parks, so their 10% off at campgrounds is not of value to me.

Let's agree to disagree, shall we? I find, at this time, no value in GS and you do. More power to both of us!!

Sheila
You are absolutly right. The important thing is that we enjoy our camping