Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #1

Good Sam DVD

Hello, I got a Good Sam repair DVD in the mail yesterday. I almost threw it into the trash as junk mail but this time I looked at it. It was a DVD that was sent to me without me ordering it. It said to watch it and if I wanted to keep it, to just send them $12.95. It also said that if I didn't want it, to just send it back in the prepaid envelope.

Anybody else got this unsolicited DVD? I think it was a very underhanded way to market it this way. Now I have to go through the hassle of sending it back.

No longer a Sam fan, Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You aren't in any way obligated to pay for it, of course. It's a more difficult question as to whether you are obligated to return it, since in essence they have sent a "courier" to pick up the unwanted merchandise. You cannot legally refuse to give the merchandise back if they ask for it, and the prepaid mailer would seem to indicate they do in fact want it back. Just stuff it in the envelope and put it back in your mail box.

Underhanded? Indeed, and just another example of the sort of high pressure sales that GS is noted for.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also got the same dvd in the mail and since I didn't orderit, I put it back in the return envelope and sent it back. This is one of the reasons I am thinking about cancelling my subscription to Good Sam.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I got one too! I looked through the printed material, but apparently not closely enough to "assume" they wanted it back should I not opt to take the deal they were offering! I'm glad I didn't pitch it in the trash now and will repackaged and return to them.................

with a note of my UN-appreciation for their tactics!

Sandy

I know the rule about multiple posts, but I feel it necessary to copy this thread and make a new post in the South Central area to notify members there to be aware of what to do when they receive their unsolicited dvd. I will title the post differently so it's not an obvious duplication.

National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #5

Copy the DVD, and when you send it back, thank them for the information.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I packed it up and put it in the mail. I also emailed the shipper and GS and told them if I got anything more I would keep it and not send it back. I hate being sent things I do not want.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #7

Whenever I receive unsolicited "stuff" in the mail I immediately toss it in the trash. I do not attempt to send it back as requested nor do I send in the requested payment.
Good Sam sends out more junk than insurance companies. Don't know how they stay in business with all the postage that they must pay.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ugh! These are the kind of marketing tactics I really dislike. Thanks for the heads up. I would just have tossed it.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #9

I bet a lot of people fall for a lot of there pitches. I don't see how the USPS is going broke when Good Sams is still kicking it out. I quit GS when the three year renewal added up to more than the one year renewal at three cos years was lower. They run a shell game on you.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
Community Administrator

I do not believe in vandalism nor am I a malicious person, but a few scratches in the DVD before you return it couldn't hurt.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
I've gone back and REALLY read all the material that came with the dvd and it says............

QUOTE:

"Now I know you didn't ask for this dvd. You can consider it a free gift.....or return it at no risk by using the handy return label and envelope...."

so legally, I don't think you can be charged for not returning it.....but it's the principle of the thing. IF they didn't care one way or the other about it being returned, WHY would they enclose a pre-paid return envelope and pay the return postage.

marketing tactics!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #12

You can log into the GS website and change your preferences to stop receiving junk mail. I did a few months back and it works great.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
If you receive something in the mail that you didn't order, you are under no obligation to do anything with it, including returning it. A return envelope is irrelevant. If you choose to do it, that's up to you.

When I receive junk mail, it never makes it into the house, it goes the trash can.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We're Charter Lifetime Good Sam members and haven't gotten it. Guess I better complain!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote