Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #1

Good Sam ERS very disappointing!

We joined Good Sam ERS and then went to pick up our new 5th wheel. Our transmission started giving problems and we called Good Sam ERS. Crossroads brought us transmission fluid and the mechanic said we needed to be towed.
6 1/2 hours later the tow truck arrived. Because we had a 5th wheel the 5th wheel had to be towed as well as the F250 truck.
My next communication came from Good Sam ERS Claim Dept from Robert C. Williams who stated we had too many claims in the last year. Efforts to reach Williams have been futile. It is one of those "you can't get there from here" experiences. I call one number and am referred to another number that refers me back to the first number.
The latest development is that Graze who answers 1800 842-5351 says someone will call me in 48 hours to discuss this.
We have had one claim. Good Sam calls it 3 claims. The wait by the side of the busy highway in the dark was 6 1/2 hours for the tow truck. Good Sam went on to book us in a non-good sam park although there were two good sam parks the same distance from where we were.
What is so frustrating is that there is no one to speak to about this.
I'd appreciate emails from others who have found a solution to this problem.
sueferren@yahoo.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketsky View Post
We have had one claim. Good Sam calls it 3 claims.
Good Sam is correct: it's 3 claims: 1) having a service provider come out with fluids; 2) towing the fifth wheel; and 3) towing the truck (I assume these tows were done separately rather than towing the fifth wheel and the truck together). Just because all three of these things happened on the same day at the same place doesn't mean that it's just one claim.

Read the information that you received when you got the membership package and you will see that they would consider this three claims.

Regardless, if you feel that you've been wronged and can't get any answers from Good Sam's ERS, perhaps it's time to write a letter to Highways Magazine's help column...or the similar one in Trailer Life.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
good sam

It might be a good idea to post this on rv.net as that is the GS site.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I am a member of good Sam, but I do not subscribe to the road service or anything else they promote. I am sick of them sending junk mail at least twice a week.

My current roadside service does not waste money by sending junk mail and I am happy with them.
Maybe if they didn't spend so much on mailings, they could lower the rates.

My 2˘

red
Old 10-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcow View Post
I am a member of good Sam, but I do not subscribe to the road service or anything else they promote. I am sick of them sending junk mail at least twice a week.

My current roadside service does not waste money by sending junk mail and I am happy with them.
Maybe if they didn't spend so much on mailings, they could lower the rates.

My 2˘

red

Red, I am with you on being tired of all the junk mail Good Sam generates..I have AAA Plus and this summer I shelled out my transfer case and called em up and they towed the truck and the trailer 245 miles no questions ask. It wasn't to the nearest dealer but where I wanted to take it.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
am a member of good Sam, but I do not subscribe to the road service or anything else they promote. I am sick of them sending junk mail at least twice a week.
I am no longer a member for that exact reason ...and I get comparable or better campground discounts through other RV organizations.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I am no longer a member for that exact reason ...and I get comparable or better campground discounts through other RV organizations.
What are you doing for emergency roadservice? David
Old 10-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #8

ERS for RVs

I have ERS through FMCA and if I am not mistaken FMCA and Good Sam use the same contractor for this service. So you are not really dealing with Good Sam, per se, but a vendor.
That said I have had 2 blowouts on our MH and had very good service. I think it depends on who you end up talking to and how customer oriented they are.
I agree they spend too much on sending out flyers, but if you ever ordered anything from Cabelas's you wonder how there are any trees still standing. I swear I average a catalog every two weeks and one is so big it is FEd EXed and is hard cover. I probaly spend $100 a year with them.
Searay
Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
What are you doing for emergency roadservice? David
Coach-Net at www.coach-net.com ...Coach-Net provides 24 hr tech support by phone at no extra charge (I understand GoodSam may have started doing this too ...trying to compete probably), and they know RVs. Most reviews give Coach-Net a better record too.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I recall complaining to GS two years ago about their mailings. Reply - "OK, we'll stop." And they did.

Later I found an Opt Out box of mailings on their web site too.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I opted out on line multiple times with very little effect. I complained by phone and got all kinds of promises but no results whatsoever. Even after cancelling my membership and telling them why, it took many months for the junk mail to die off. The impression I got was that they cared more about their corporate partners than about the desires and the good of their RVer customers.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davydee View Post
What are you doing for emergency roadservice?
Another CoachNet customer.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #13

Smile Update on my "Good Sam ERS very disappointing!"

I received a voice mail on my cell today telling me that ERS said to disregard letter I received about the multiple claims. Message went on to say that 3 claims are removed from my record and that I am back in 'good standing'. So I guess someone at GS ERS must read these posts. I am still reserving judgement as no one from GS ERS has said that a 6 1/2 hour wait was nontypical. I really appreciated the post that my message generated. What a wonderful forum.
Thank you all.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:13 AM   #14

I guess I'm a voice in the wilderness

I've used GS EMS 3 times in the last 5 years & have found their service to be excellent.

Regarding the mailings, I don't seem to get as many mailings as others here. Maybe it's because I live in Canada.
They do sent membership renewals far ahead than necessary but I know my renewal date(s) I then renew online about a month ahead of the expiry.

Eh!