Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #1

Good Sam Extended Service Plan

Has anyone had any experience with this type of RV repair insurance?

Are claims handled well? Do they nick pick repair issues? How about proof needed for servicing RV according to the manufacturers recommendations?

Thanks
Russ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Don't have info on Good Sam. Try Wholesale Warranties, David Scott at 800-939-2806, before you decide. They offer exclusionary policies for new and used RV's.
It's covered unless excluded.

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
have used it only once and it worked o.k., but they get you on the LABOR!!!! We got it mainly for the CAT engine, 3126B. So far it has been Great, love it.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have GS and have used it a couple times. The small repair sevices don't like to work under it, because they require jumping thru a lot of hoops and take a long time to pay.

Glenn
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ2528 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with this type of RV repair insurance?

Are claims handled well? Do they nick pick repair issues? How about proof needed for servicing RV according to the manufacturers recommendations?

Thanks
Russ
I've had the Good Sam for a couple of years and it has paid for itself several times over. The major repair was pump & injectors - well over $7000 of repairs. They did not ask for proof of servicing for the two claims I had. The only drawback was they wanted an inspector to confirm the repairs were needed before giving approval and that added a couple of days to the down time (and motel stay).
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Read the quote carefully. The quotation I received a number of years ago was quite explicit regarding the requirement to service/maintain all covered systems at a qualified facility in accordance with the respective manufacturers' schedules, or claims could be denied.

Perhaps that's changed, or perhaps GS is selective in their enforcement, but be forewarned!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I sent off for a quote but before I buy I'd like to hear from other's experiences too.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #8

Injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I've had the Good Sam for a couple of years and it has paid for itself several times over. The major repair was pump & injectors - well over $7000 of repairs. They did not ask for proof of servicing for the two claims I had. The only drawback was they wanted an inspector to confirm the repairs were needed before giving approval and that added a couple of days to the down time (and motel stay).
Thanks for the info. I thought injectors were not covered? Did the ploicy cost go up the next year after the repair?

Russ
Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #9

Thanks- can you expand on what you mean by getting you on the labor. Isn't labor covered?

Russ
Old 12-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Good Sam's only offer inclusive policies and they don't offer consequential damage, so this definitely limits what can be covered. Not saying they are a bad warranty, but need to be aware of this. I'd personally recommend getting an exclusive policy WITH consequential damage...that way you've got more coverage, plus you are covered if a non-warranty part causes a warrany failure. I like Wholesalewarranties as a source.

Here's my take on warranties if you're interested:
The Ins and Outs of RV Extended Warranties

That said with ANY warranty company you can expect quite alot of hoops to jump through. Inspections, maintenance records (depending on the repair) and labor cost discussions.

On labor side what most warranty companies have is a "standardized" list of what it "should" cost to repair a given part in a given state. So, for example they may only pay labor of $95/hour in a given state and will only cover 3 hours for a given repair. If your shop charges more than that, it may not be covered. We've gone through 3 warranty repairs on our rig and two of them had labor discrepancies & required us to negotiate a compromise.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ2528 View Post
Thanks for the info. I thought injectors were not covered? Did the policy cost go up the next year after the repair?

Russ
The injectors were damaged when the pump failed. I was told metal fragments damaged the injectors so they were replaced. If the policy cost went up it wasn't much. I'm not suggesting you or anyone buy Good Sam or any other policy but it did work out good for me.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The injectors were damaged when the pump failed. I was told metal fragments damaged the injectors so they were replaced.
That is what is meant by "consequential damages", i.e. one part failed and caused damage to another part. Many (most?) policies won't pay consequential damages, so read the fine print carefully. Policy wording changes, so do not assume the one you buy will be identical to someone else's.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #13

Gary, I am very happy Good Sam picked up the bill except for the deductible and environmental charges - "Consequential damages " or not. I do agree a person should read the contract and not go by other peoples comments.
Bob
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #14

For those that have diesels in the 38 to 40 ft range how much do those extended service plans cost per year? I am presently shopping for a used diesel MH. The extended policy on my present 19 ft TT is only $240 a year. I'm thinking an extended policy on a MH would be a whole lot more. Especially if it were 5 or 6 years old. When I read how much the repairs could cost it is confusing to me because I'm not sure how to compare.

Tags
service