Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Plantation,FL
Posts: 3
Good Sam Extended plan a pain

Every time I have used the warranty or rv warranty, it is nothing but a hassle from Camping World. I volunteer a lot and use my RV. When I have a problem, Camping World makes me bring the unit in where they take pictures and send the data to the extended warranty company for approval. Then I go back and re set up in the campground while I wait for approval. When approved, I have to go back in and get it serviced. They tell you it will be done in a day or two and it always takes longer. It costs for hotel.Camping world has told me they do not make service calls but I found out that they do for some.
__________________

__________________
wonsibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Member
 
275hooah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Posts: 93
Cost of warranty vs likelihood of a problem

Hello,

As a soon-to-be motorhome owner, it would help me to know what expenses i'd been facing, for an uncovered extended warranty repair, and what the odds of facing that repair would be, before understanding whether an extended warranty had enough worth to buy.

To make that more clear, i'll use the Good Sam's Gold Extended Warranty (http://www.goodsamesp.com/images/pdf...e_contract.pdf) as an example:

Under Chassis Coverage, it states:

1. ENGINE ASSEMBLY - Covers all parts of the engine assembly, except for the following: Carburetor, distributor cap, distributor rotor, drive belts, all
hoses, EGR valve, exhaust pipes, emission items (air tubes, valves and pumps), catalytic converter, muffler, resonators, glow plugs, spark plugs,
spark plug wires, engine exhaust brake, thermostat, any parts not originally supplied by the engine manufacturer.

Other than the uncovered exceptions stated above, what costly engine assembly repairs could there be, on a Cummin's 8.3L, and how likely are they to happen on a well maintained motorhome?

My thought is, even if a possible repair would be costly, if the odds of it happening are slim, the warranty may not be a good value.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
275hooah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
JFXG's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today? Mercer, PA
Posts: 3,615
Failure of the engine or transmission is a relatively low probability event, particularly with a heavy diesel engine designed to run half a million miles. But it makes an interesting example since it would be a single event financial catastrophe for a good many owners. The likelier reality is the ongoing failure of several appliances or systems within the coach. Its difficult to envision any failure of substance that will cost less than $1000 to repair, and its more likely to be closer to $2000.

The OP has an analysis to perform, as I did a year ago. He is in possession of a 9 year old coach loaded with 9 year old appliances and systems. Simple question: what are the odds that some of those 9 year old systems and appliances may fail in the next four to five years? (i.e., rooftop a/c = $2400; engine mounted a/c compressor = $1800) How likely is it that he will find himself five years hence with a 14 year old coach in which nothing has ever failed?

Its just that simple. If you think three or four (or more) substantial devices will fail in the next four years, a proper, well researched service contract will most likely cover you from some significant expenses.
__________________
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Denniscw's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275hooah View Post
Hello,

As a soon-to-be motorhome owner, it would help me to know what expenses i'd been facing, for an uncovered extended warranty repair, and what the odds of facing that repair would be, before understanding whether an extended warranty had enough worth to buy.

To make that more clear, i'll use the Good Sam's Gold Extended Warranty (http://www.goodsamesp.com/images/pdf...e_contract.pdf) as an example:

Under Chassis Coverage, it states:

1. ENGINE ASSEMBLY - Covers all parts of the engine assembly, except for the following: Carburetor, distributor cap, distributor rotor, drive belts, all
hoses, EGR valve, exhaust pipes, emission items (air tubes, valves and pumps), catalytic converter, muffler, resonators, glow plugs, spark plugs,
spark plug wires, engine exhaust brake, thermostat, any parts not originally supplied by the engine manufacturer.

Other than the uncovered exceptions stated above, what costly engine assembly repairs could there be, on a Cummin's 8.3L, and how likely are they to happen on a well maintained motorhome?

My thought is, even if a possible repair would be costly, if the odds of it happening are slim, the warranty may not be a good value.

Thanks
I would never again purchase a Good Sam extended warranty no matter what goes wrong they refuse coverage. If you decide to buy have your attorney look at it first

I spent $5000 and nothing is covered according to Bad Sam.
__________________
Denniscw
2011 Serrano 31X, 2006 CR-V
Denniscw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
JFXG's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today? Mercer, PA
Posts: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniscw View Post
I would never again purchase a Good Sam extended warranty no matter what goes wrong they refuse coverage....
I spent $5000 and nothing is covered according to Bad Sam.

Did you buy the full comprehensive contract, including "Consequential Damage"? That's the only way to protect yourself.

I'm not a GS fan, but I believe in well researched service contracts, in certain circumstances. I have a four year contract bought from Wholesale Warranties one year ago. So far it has almost paid for itself, and I have had no real hassle with claims.
__________________
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsilvester View Post
So if good Sam is just ok what are the A Plus. Ones ?

Also we are not really warranty people just a little nervous about this big cost of the diesel and transmission problems if any Herd they could be big $$$
My rig has just over 50000 miles on it I have logged about 2000 so far and it runs and drives like a dream tows my rubicon like its not there we moved up from a small Sprinter van !
We purchased a new DSDP in 2000. Due to the possible high cost of possible failures on a DP we did get a service policy. Never used it and got some of our money back. When we bought the 2002 DSDP new we bypassed on it. So far the savings have paid for all the service and a new set of tires. And that's after 11 years.
For us, self insuring has been good.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #21
Member
 
275hooah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Posts: 93
Cost of full blown extended warranty

You make a very good point. I will be looking for a 2000 DSDP in the near future, so colemole's nine years of use will be added to another four. Even with a very detailed inspection, and all deficiencies corrected prior to purchase, something is bound to kick the bucket as soon as i start my first vacation. Peter and his darn principle says it will!

On the subject of costs. We can pretty much determine what this and that will cost, if and when it fails, but so far i haven't seen a maximized extended warranty cost to bounce these repairs up against. I have yet to purchase the motorhome, so i can't complete the Good/Bad Sam quote form.

Who out there is paying for, or has recently paid for, or just knows the price of a Good/Bad Sam extended warranty with both the Consequential Damage and the Seal and Gasket coverage? That should cover as much as can be covered!

Thanks
__________________
275hooah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
flaggship1's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rainbow Riding
Posts: 18,393
275 - Call Good Sam (and WW) and tell them
__________________
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
flaggship1's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rainbow Riding
Posts: 18,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1
275 - Call Good Sam (and WW) and tell them
Well what the heck. Wrote much more - not sure where it went.

Bottom line - if you have the VIN of coach you're buying they will work a bid for you. When you buy call and they will activate. There is a weeks delay on start. They try to avoid paying for preexisting conditions.

My policy just paid for itself and half of next year - a new turbo for $250 deductible. Works for me.
Steve
__________________
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,699
An often-overlooked fact about extended service contracts is; most of the sellers are merely brokers, they do not provide the actual service. Good Sam, and wholesalewarranties.net, are just two such brokers. This pdf explains an extended service contract in detail.
Here is one mans blog explaining his rationale for extended "warranties". At the bottom of his blog he added this footnote: ** UPDATE: As of Nov 13th, 2012 Go RV Network, the parent company of Go RV Warranty filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in the West Texas District court. Definitely happy we avoided them as a broker.

That footnote highlights one reason we purchased an extended service contract from Good Sam, they are big enough to greatly reduce the odds of the contract being nullified by bankruptcy.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Ray,IN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: North America somewhere
Posts: 13,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Good Sam Extended Service Plan has been in business to make a profit for many years.

So it looks like they bring more $$$$ in then they ever pay out.
Read the policy on what it doesn't cover, that will be 100% out of your pocket.
Also the deductible $$$ will also be out of your pocket above the yearly policy. price.

If you are full time odds may be more chances to use it. Then if it is only weekends in the summer and a couple vacation trips a year.

I checked on the price and turned it down to self insure. In the 11 years of full time I am way ahead of what premiums plus deductible would have been.
But I have been able to fix any repairs needed myself. So no labor cost and most parts have been lower then the deductible I would had. With parts & labor.
Your are correct, GS is in business to make money, just as your life insurance company is in business to make money.
__________________
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
flaggship1's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rainbow Riding
Posts: 18,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN
Your are correct, GS is in business to make money, just as your life insurance company is in business to make money.
I am always mystified by the logic that concludes - don't buy an ESP, they're in business to make money. With my recent claim - they had the use of 4 quarterly payments for last year - and my 5th and most recent payment for a couple of weeks. I don't know what the laws are regarding how they can invest or earn money on my money. But, with lots of money coming in - earning money on money - and paying money out, they stay in business. Welcome to the world of insurance. And yea I know - an ESP is technically not Insurance - but the companies are.
__________________
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
Member
 
275hooah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Posts: 93
Summary

What i have decided after reading this and other forums and sites, toward purchasing any extended warranty, is this:

1. Unlike engines or transmissions or other mechanical components, where one stands out as a better option than the others, extended warranties have no such "better than the rest" company.

2. If i were to sign for an extended warranty, and the company goes bankrupt, there is no recourse to recover my funds.

3. If my upcoming first motorhome, hopefully a Newmar, is inspected in detail, by both a Cummin's and Spartan service center, and everything in the house that turns on, bends, flashes, peeps, pivots, opens or in any way moves is inspected, and all deficiencies are corrected, i will have a very good start point.

Then, as i put $200 away every month, for a year, and zero balance my $3,000 line of credit from my outstanding local credit union, i will have $5,400 available for any repairs after the first year of ownership. Because i had such a detailed initial inspection, very little major repair should come about during the first year of ownership, logging probably 10,000 miles (+ -).

5. With my savings as backup, every time a repair is needed, i have it repaired, pay for it then and there and i'm back on the road. No approvals, debates, issues, verifications, phone calls, multiple trips, legal actions, arguments or lost payments.

In short: An initial, detailed inspection with the correction of all deficiencies, an on-going regular preventive maintenance plan and ample cash on hand makes me a much more trustworthy, responsive option than an extended warranty contract. It may even eliminate a good bit of worry of the "will i be covered or not" while traveling.

How does that sound?
__________________
275hooah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
VestaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275hooah View Post
What i have decided after reading this and other forums and sites, toward purchasing any extended warranty, is this:

1. Unlike engines or transmissions or other mechanical components, where one stands out as a better option than the others, extended warranties have no such "better than the rest" company.

2. If i were to sign for an extended warranty, and the company goes bankrupt, there is no recourse to recover my funds.

3. If my upcoming first motorhome, hopefully a Newmar, is inspected in detail, by both a Cummin's and Spartan service center, and everything in the house that turns on, bends, flashes, peeps, pivots, opens or in any way moves is inspected, and all deficiencies are corrected, i will have a very good start point.

Then, as i put $200 away every month, for a year, and zero balance my $3,000 line of credit from my outstanding local credit union, i will have $5,400 available for any repairs after the first year of ownership. Because i had such a detailed initial inspection, very little major repair should come about during the first year of ownership, logging probably 10,000 miles (+ -).

5. With my savings as backup, every time a repair is needed, i have it repaired, pay for it then and there and i'm back on the road. No approvals, debates, issues, verifications, phone calls, multiple trips, legal actions, arguments or lost payments.

In short: An initial, detailed inspection with the correction of all deficiencies, an on-going regular preventive maintenance plan and ample cash on hand makes me a much more trustworthy, responsive option than an extended warranty contract. It may even eliminate a good bit of worry of the "will i be covered or not" while traveling.

How does that sound?
Well, you put your money down and take your chances. Keep in mind that your first year savings@5400 would just about be a down payment on an engine rebuild. Getting an extended warranty was a difficult choice for us but we made the choice to do it and don't think about it much now. Have gotten coverage on an AC compressor @$2500. So, we are half way to breaking even on an 8 yr contract. My guess is that if you purchased a warranty and put aside $ each month for items that will be uncovered you would just about be bullet proof.
__________________

__________________
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.