Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave
....... My guess is that if you purchased a warranty and put aside $ each month for items that will be uncovered you would just about be bullet proof.
My guess as well. ESP. Savings for Annual Maintenance. Savings for uncovered items. And while I'm not as far along in covering cost of ESP - paid for 5 quarters - they have paid out on almost 6. They have also guaranteed my rate for 5 years. Think I'm going to stick with this plan. Carries me to 10 years old. We shall see how it goes and what comes after that.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #30

Still can't trust the extended warranty

OK, the combination of cash on hand and warranty coverage is a great combination. It does cover both levels of repair costs, and seems to be running only $55 a month or so for the warranty, but i cannot, as hard as i try, find any real trust in me towards the warranty companies. If i could, it would, indeed, be the way to go.

This is how i see the warranty contract issue, using Good Sam as an example:

MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN COVERAGE:
We will provide payment to Your Repair Facility or reimburse You (Reimburse means they retain the option to pay after you have paid out of your pocket. You still need a bit of cash on hand) for reasonable (Their definition of reasonable, not a third party) costs of labor and materials (approved (So first i'll have to have the damage inspected, an estimate completed and then forward the request and wait for an approval, or not) and receipted) to repair or replace (will use the less expensive of the options, not necessarily the longest lasting) any of the covered parts under this Coverage if required due to Mechanical Breakdown. A "Mechanical Breakdown or Breakdown" is defined as failure of a defective covered part or faulty workmanship of a covered part as originally supplied by the manufacturer and under normal (Again, their definition of normal and not a third party) service (So, the covered part has to be defective from the factory, not damaged after). A covered part has failed when it can no longer perform the function for which it was designed solely because of its condition and not because of the action or inaction of any non-covered parts (Again, the part itself has to be defective from the factory, not defective via the effect of non-covered parts which, in the case of the engine, includes the carburetor, distributor cap, distributor rotor, drive belts, all hoses, EGR valve, exhaust pipes, emission items (air tubes, valves and pumps), catalytic converter, muffler, resonators, glow plugs, spark plugs, spark plug wires, engine exhaust brake, thermostat, any parts not originally supplied by the engine manufacturer.). Replacement will be made with like kind and quality to include rebuilt or remanufactured parts (Remanufactured and rebuilt parts will be first in line, not new). (But here's how i CAN can get dependable new parts>) Parts may be upgraded to “new” at owner’s expense. Coverage includes manufacturer recommended fluids and filters (excludes fuels) when required as part of a covered repair. Coverage includes manufacturers’ deductible when paid by the contract holder for a covered repair.
You must maintain Your Vehicle in accordance with the service requirements set forth in these Terms and Conditions to keep this Coverage in force. Evidence of proper service will be required in the event of a claim (I will not be allowed to maintain or service anything myself, to save money. I must pay more to have a receipt from a service center.)

So, i have a mechanical problem and get towed to the closest approved repair facility. They get it on the rack the next day, calculate an estimate and tell me it's going to cost a zillion dollars. I call the warranty company, they take the information and call me back the next day to say "good luck with that". They are there to help with anything else, and appreciate my payments and business, but this mechanical failure was NOT due to a defective part from the factory, but due to the effects of service on my part that they don't consider normal. They say i put the last quart of oil in myself, didn't keep my receipt, was one day late for a scheduled service, turned left at the last light, instead of right, and i'm too tall. Even if we were to fix this for you, the price isn't reasonable, so we'd only pay half a zillion, and we'd use the least expensive rebuilt part available and o, by the way, we're claiming chapter 11 tomorrow.

It seems pretty obvious to me that their contract is written to exclude just about everything, that could ever possibly cost them a dollar. It also seems to make a difference who you talk to at the warranty company and how much experience the shop has, dealing with the warranty company. SOOO many variables, that the warranty company controls!

It may sound, to some, that i am a bit distrustful of extended warranty companies, and i hope i haven't disillusioned Vsilvester, but understand, it is due to many years of having to deal with other companies like Comcast, Bank of America, the IRS and a bunch of Real Estate agencies that made me this way. If i don't learn, i won't learn.
275hooah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #31

Follow-up

OK, that was a bit of opinion wasn't it! I should have ended that last post with a few questions.

Are there any examples of a warranty company covering large repairs without a lot of turmoil. What was the damage, who was the warranty company, what was the cost of repair, how smooth was the whole repair from towing to back on the road?

I want to believe!

Thanks
Old 08-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275hooah
OK, the combination of cash on hand and warranty coverage is a great combination. It does cover both levels of repair costs, and seems to be running only $55 a month or so for the warranty, but i cannot, as hard as i try, find any real trust in me towards the warranty companies. If i could, it would, indeed, be the way to go.

This is how i see the warranty contract issue, using Good Sam as an example:

MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN COVERAGE:
We will provide payment to Your Repair Facility or reimburse You (Reimburse means they retain the option to pay after you have paid out of your pocket. You still need a bit of cash on hand) for reasonable (Their definition of reasonable, not a third party) costs of labor and materials (approved (So first i'll have to have the damage inspected, an estimate completed and then forward the request and wait for an approval, or not) and receipted) to repair or replace (will use the less expensive of the options, not necessarily the longest lasting) any of the covered parts under this Coverage if required due to Mechanical Breakdown. A "Mechanical Breakdown or Breakdown" is defined as failure of a defective covered part or faulty workmanship of a covered part as originally supplied by the manufacturer and under normal (Again, their definition of normal and not a third party) service (So, the covered part has to be defective from the factory, not damaged after). A covered part has failed when it can no longer perform the function for which it was designed solely because of its condition and not because of the action or inaction of any non-covered parts (Again, the part itself has to be defective from the factory, not defective via the effect of non-covered parts which, in the case of the engine, includes the carburetor, distributor cap, distributor rotor, drive belts, all hoses, EGR valve, exhaust pipes, emission items (air tubes, valves and pumps), catalytic converter, muffler, resonators, glow plugs, spark plugs, spark plug wires, engine exhaust brake, thermostat, any parts not originally supplied by the engine manufacturer.). Replacement will be made with like kind and quality to include rebuilt or remanufactured parts (Remanufactured and rebuilt parts will be first in line, not new). (But here's how i CAN can get dependable new parts>) Parts may be upgraded to “new” at owner’s expense. Coverage includes manufacturer recommended fluids and filters (excludes fuels) when required as part of a covered repair. Coverage includes manufacturers’ deductible when paid by the contract holder for a covered repair.
You must maintain Your Vehicle in accordance with the service requirements set forth in these Terms and Conditions to keep this Coverage in force. Evidence of proper service will be required in the event of a claim (I will not be allowed to maintain or service anything myself, to save money. I must pay more to have a receipt from a service center.)

So, i have a mechanical problem and get towed to the closest approved repair facility. They get it on the rack the next day, calculate an estimate and tell me it's going to cost a zillion dollars. I call the warranty company, they take the information and call me back the next day to say "good luck with that". They are there to help with anything else, and appreciate my payments and business, but this mechanical failure was NOT due to a defective part from the factory, but due to the effects of service on my part that they don't consider normal. They say i put the last quart of oil in myself, didn't keep my receipt, was one day late for a scheduled service, turned left at the last light, instead of right, and i'm too tall. Even if we were to fix this for you, the price isn't reasonable, so we'd only pay half a zillion, and we'd use the least expensive rebuilt part available and o, by the way, we're claiming chapter 11 tomorrow.

It seems pretty obvious to me that their contract is written to exclude just about everything, that could ever possibly cost them a dollar. It also seems to make a difference who you talk to at the warranty company and how much experience the shop has, dealing with the warranty company. SOOO many variables, that the warranty company controls!

It may sound, to some, that i am a bit distrustful of extended warranty companies, and i hope i haven't disillusioned Vsilvester, but understand, it is due to many years of having to deal with other companies like Comcast, Bank of America, the IRS and a bunch of Real Estate agencies that made me this way. If i don't learn, i won't learn.
^^^ I have never figured out how to double and triple quote with the iPhone app so I am going to leave this to someone else for now - but you have a lot wrong above as to how it works. Quick example - day of claim - before I could call GS to start claim - the shop had called them, claim was opened and authorized.

Some shops don't want to take ESPs - many do and that's why in a breakdown - they want to send you to a place that will work with them and not make you pay.

The shop book called for 3.75 hours. GS authorized 4 hours. There are established job time lines. The rule would be - if it is taking longer - shop should call to have that time authorized. Another reason some shops don't like to deal with them. Ok - but what would you expect if you were paying outright? Shop says 3.75 and didn't call you and went I. Another tow hours - would you be happy? ESP holds their feet to fire.

Can't do your own oil change - I doubt that seriously. A log book of your maintenance and receipts for filters and oil etc is a service record.

There are horror stories and theoretical stories and good and excellent stories. It's an easy decision - do you want one - can you afford one - then get one. But don't burn all your other money because you have one. If you don't want one don't get one. Simple as that. No need to blow a gasket over it - covered or uncovered.

As said before - pay your money, takes your chances -- or keep your money and takes your chances.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #33

Type of repair

Thanks,

If you don't mind, what was your claim for? What parts failed, what type of part was used in the repair (rebuilt, new) and what was the cost?

Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275hooah
Thanks,

If you don't mind, what was your claim for? What parts failed, what type of part was used in the repair (rebuilt, new) and what was the cost?

Thanks again!
Nothing had failed. Was in for 5 year service, inspection, had the rear radiator and CAC pulled and cleaned. I went by to check on her and in reviewing my paper work looked at my codes. The VGT - the Variable Geometry Turbo had thrown 3 codes all related to not being able to calibrate properly. At my request - I asked them to dig into it. The codes were Inactive - which meant not present at the time of test sitting in the shop. They did test it and determined the turbo was not working properly. They had their specs in hand, called Good Sam and it was approved $2,300. Genuine Cummins Holset (spelling) turbo. As stated - they authorized just over book hours and the price was on the money.

Now some may argue (I don't wish to hear about it) that the turbo wasn't even broken because I didn't have black smoke or bad performance. Freightliner assured me and GS that it was operating at 1/2 efficiency and if it had gone out I would have really known it. But it was headed fir the dust bin.

So you theorized a bit - so I will too. Why did GS authorize this. Well maybe because they knew it was getting a thorough cleaning (radiator pull flush) tranny filters - oil and fuel filters - exactly 1 year since first round - and one year ownership. Maybe because we didn't ignore codes - and presented before 243 codes of trying to adjust itself and failing to get there. Maybe such a failure would have resulted in a bigger problem for me and them. Maybe they would have denied it if it had blow and they said why did you ignore codes. I don't know.

What I do know is that there is much that can go wrong and none is inexpensive. I wish nothing would ever go wrong but it does - and I am glad to have had the coverage and the fix - all with genuine parts and for my $250 deductible. And as I said - almost 6 quarterly payments paid out with only 5 paid in and the 5th payment was in early August. Other policies may read better - and maybe even be better. But they can all do what they want - and deny anything. They call the shots. Keep your maintenance up - treat everything like the best woman you ever met and I bet they cover ya.

Since my routine service included pulling radiator - tranny service - fixing an intermittent head light and some other things at $1,500 it was nice to have prepaid for the turbo. YMMV but I stand by money + ESP = great place to be.