Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #1

Good Sam Extended Service Plan

Hi I can't decide if I should get this type of coverage or not what do you Guys & Girls think

We just purchased a 2005 MADP it's in top shape with just over 50,000 miles on it
Has anybody had any good or bad experience with the good Sam plan ?
Joule I spend the $ on the plan or just save the bucks just in case ?
Thanks for the input. Billy
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You are going to get answers both ways on your question. It ends up being personal preference in the end. Are you a insurance type of guy? Aperson for sure can go insurance broke. For myself I choose not to buy a extended on anything I buy, I take the cost of the insurance when offered and put that money aside and act as my own insurance company. I have been lucky, it has worked for me, but you will read some stories here that folks were glad they had a extended warranty. It ends up being a personal decision based on if you are a extended warranty type of person.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
X2 palehorse89. Be prepared for all sorts of usless experiences from sour grapes to accolades.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
When I bought my Journey I did buy the program and in my case it paid for itself. Some of our members will suggest self insurance but in the two year time frame self insuring would not have covered the heui pump & six injectors and a couple of other issues.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are ok extended warranties and very good warranties. IMO, GS is just ok. Too many clauses that let them off and thus avoiding paying. Best to get a copy of the policy beforehand, good companies will send you one PDF. Read first what is not included then what is included. They are written in legal jargon. I even had my attorney read the GS and he was non committal in his recommendation. If you need a new turbo, injectors or AC you'll be glad you have it. Also, the age of the coach is a money factor. Best of luck searching. You'll find lots of varying information hear!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #6

So if good Sam is just ok what are the A Plus. Ones ?

Also we are not really warranty people just a little nervous about this big cost of the Diesel and transmission problems if any Herd they could be big $$$
My rig has just over 50000 miles on it I have logged about 2000 so far and it runs and drives like a dream tows my rubicon like its not their we moved up from a small sprinter van !
Vsilvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #7

We purchased a 2000 MH last April, at the same time we purchased a GS extended service contract. Expensive yes. A MH is an expensive complicated machine, it and everything in it has reached the point where breakdowns and malfunctions are likely. We weighed our options and decided the money would be well-spent. For instance, if/when the basement heat pump requires replacement it will cost between $3,000-$4,000 including labor.
Many people feel otherwise for their circumstances, especially those with newer units, it is an individual choice.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #8

Money 'WELL' spent in MOHO. We did the same thing this past Oct. and it's paid for itself as well!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good Sam Extended Service Plan has been in business to make a profit for many years.

So it looks like they bring more $$$$ in then they ever pay out.
Read the policy on what it doesn't cover, that will be 100% out of your pocket.
Also the deductible $$$ will also be out of your pocket above the yearly policy. price.

If you are full time odds may be more chances to use it. Then if it is only weekends in the summer and a couple vacation trips a year.

I checked on the price and turned it down to self insure. In the 11 years of full time I am way ahead of what premiums plus deductible would have been.
But I have been able to fix any repairs needed myself. So no labor cost and most parts have been lower then the deductible I would had. With parts & labor.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #10

Triker56, the deductible is one thing that helped make our decision. Our plan has "0" deducible if we have Camping World do the work, otherwise it is $50 deductible. That plan is only offered at time of RV sale closing at CW.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsilvester View Post
Hi I can't decide if I should get this type of coverage or not what do you Guys & Girls think

We just purchased a 2005 MADP it's in top shape with just over 50,000 miles on it
Has anybody had any good or bad experience with the good Sam plan ?
Joule I spend the $ on the plan or just save the bucks just in case ?
Thanks for the input. Billy

OK, I have the Good Sams and as others have said, they have many "outs" so they don't have to pay. That said, I have a 2005. My break/fix issues cost 22k in the first 18 months. Of that, Good Sams has paid 16K. That said, I'm ahead with it.

It's not that I have a wreck for a rig. The point has correctly been made, these are expensive machines and very complex.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #12

Self-insurance is NOT insurance. It is merely saving the premium over time in a savings account (or other) in hopes that it will cover repairs. It may 'pay-off' or not! In a 'NOT' case, actual insurance purchased would have been a more beneficial way.

I am not in the insurance business, but I am taking delivery of our Excursion 35C in about a month. I have to decide whether to get ESP or not, LOL.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #13

I found that buying a older coach with 50,000 miles it was worth it for me. In the second year after purchase took a 3000 mile plus trip and had failures of , rear camera, in motion satellite dish, refrigerator, power passenger seat and Bose sound system. Good Sam took care of most of the cost less deductible.
joecpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst SE MI View Post
Self-insurance is NOT insurance. It is merely saving the premium over time in a savings account (or other) in hopes that it will cover repairs. It may 'pay-off' or not! In a 'NOT' case, actual insurance purchased would have been a more beneficial way.

I am not in the insurance business, but I am taking delivery of our Excursion 35C in about a month. I have to decide whether to get ESP or not, LOL.
Actually it is because you're insuring that any and all claims are paid and not denied. What I've saved has paid for all repairs, maintenance, Alcoa wheels and new tires.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote